It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana DOES cause schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, medical benefits as 'unproven'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Never met a pothead who wasn't paranoid. Most are useless oxygen to CO2 converters whose sole purpose is to breath air when not scheming to get more weed. The addiction is terrible to witness.

And they would be the people who do not believe in moderation.
There are many potheads that are quite busy, and creative.
One of the ones I know is a fitness trainer, into the Spartan and tough mudder competitions. She's a very fit woman, who also volunteers at a couple of charities.

The paranoia in people seems to be dependent on how it's viewed by people in the community, friends, and family.

Every one handles it differently.

I know people who willingly risk their whole careers, the financial welfare of their family by taking steps to bypass mandatory drug testing, just so they can get high when they want to. You can call them moderate because they can go undetected for greater lengths than the hardcore stoners but they are just as addicted.

Sounds like you've surrounded yourself around the wrong people who you chose to make an example of every marijuana smoker with. To group everyone up together is wrong, as many successful people smoke and are not addicts, minding the no smoking on the job rule and are honest with their drug tests.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I studied it extensively in the seventies and that did not make me skitzo nor did it hurt my heart.

It did on the other hand make me go out and have fun after work. I didn't save a penny for retirement at that time, I was too busy choosing what album to play next. I liked to listen to eight track tapes in the car too.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Those were the days, the tings we didn't worry about. How did we live like that?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Those were the days, the tings we didn't worry about. How did we live like that?

That is when I actually lived, after quitting I lived to work. After quitting, I got serious and cleared land, built a house and a couple of garages, and got my business going full swing. I guess the government liked it when people didn't smoke, we were good at spending money. Now, since half the population is working part time and in debt, they don't want us depressed because we can't afford to get ahead so they allow smoking MJ.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Sad what we turn into, and not sad.

We want to live both ways, footloose and free, and buckled down and reaching goals.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
A lot of good comments /observations on here. Just my own two cents from my own past personal research. First of all it does "induce" paranoia in some users. I have personally witnessed it on numerous occasions. As far as whether it creates psychosis in people. ...I would say that if a person continually subjects their mind to paranoia over a long period of time. Then those pathways in the mind will become more established....so I can see psychosis being caused indirectly by prolonged usage of cannabis. ..in those individuals that experience paranoia while on it.

As far as the increased risk of heart attack. ...I would say that is a result of the mental stress caused by the paranoia/psychosis.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   

What a load of bullocks.... this is entirely to serve an anti-mari narrative.

The connection between mental illness and substance abuse of any kind is found on INDIVIDUAL basis.... stop thinking every human body or every human bio chemistry is entirely the same. If it was we'd all go into anafylactic shock from eating strawberries, nuts or milk.

Yes... in individuals who are predisposed to becoming mentally ill, substance consumption is not adviced.

Everyone else.... no.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Marijuana DOES cause schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, medical benefits as 'unproven'

Load of REEFER MADNESS type lies!
There is no 'causality' and none to be shown!
And there is vast evidence of medical benefits!
What pathetic grey-faced conservative Republikkkan is still on about this crap and these lies?
Get over it!

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I have about as much faith that this study was impartial, broad, and valid, as I do in the current Prime Minister of my country. None.

Heart attacks? Not bloody likely. You would have to refine the hell out of the active ingredient and inject it into the freakin aorta to get that kind of response!

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

It has a long and distinguished history as being used as a medicine, it was the tobacco industry that lobbied to have it made illegal back in the early 1900s. It was helping to many people, I wonder what the effect would have been on society if tobacco had been made illegal back then instead of MJ.
edit on Fri20171V201702531 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Say that again?

Cannabis has been shown to kill cancer cells in the laboratory (see Question 6).

www.cancer.gov

Dailymail.co.uk is a batsh*t news!
edit on 13-1-2017 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Schizophrenia has a genetic foundation: Link - medscape article

People with the genetic make-up for schitzophrenia can have the disease triggered by marijuana (it doesn't usually start until late adolescence or early twenties) or it can make it worse/more intense.

If you don't have the genes for it, however, marijuana should not "cause" the disease. This is fairly new knowledge. In the past it looked like MJ might be a causal factor in some people because the genetic risk hadn't been determined.

If your family has a history of schotzoid type mental health issues, then you might want to screen family members, especially kids, for the genes. If they have the genes, they absolutely should not ingest MJ as it may cause them harm. At least that is my understanding. I know someone whose brother had an early schizophrenia onset after MJ use. That is anecdotal, but his doc said he had the genetics for it and the MJ brought it on faster and possibly made it worse that in would have been otherwise.

More research needs to be done on this factor.

Harvard research says cannibis does not cause schizophrenia. It backs me up on this...
Link - Harvard study

AB
edit on 13-1-2017 by AboveBoard because: Phone typo

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It's a hit piece. Reefer madness and all. The internet kills this sort of fake news.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Marijuana does not cause schizophrenia. It can trigger it in an individual who is already predisposed to suffer from it but hasn't developed symptoms yet. For simple ppl: it will not make you develope schizophrenia unless you already have a genetic probability of developing it already; meaning you have the genetic predisposition but haven't had any symptoms yet. Lsd and Mushrooms can facilitate the disorder as well. So, it isn't causing it. It's making someone whom already has it show symptoms, or speeding up the process. Totally different from causing it in perfectly healthy non genetically predisposed individuals.
psychcentral.com...

Now, to add an addendum even though no one listens to me, ppl under the age of 20 should not be smoking mj or taking an psychoactive or hallucinogenic substances. Not because they are the devils juice; but because the frontal lobe isn't fully developed until the early 20's, and those chemicals can really change the neural network pathways in the brain. This can cause all sorts of issues from depression to insomnia to mental illness. But, one hit isn't going to drive u crazy, unless you already were crazy but didn't know it yet.
edit on 13-1-2017 by SheepDipped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

A federal advisory panel admitted cannabis can almost certainly ease chronic pain, and might help some people sleep. But it dismisses most of the drug's other supposedly 'medical benefits' as unproven.

A "Federal Advisory Panel" are the ones who did this "study" apparently.

I'm sure its totally legit, its not like those guys have ever been caught lying before.

I can personally vouch for its effectiveness treating nausea, neuropathy, bone pains and all of the other lovely things that go along with chemo/radiation combos. It helped me put up with the treatments, which literally saved my life. Also another thing most people don't think of is when cance and weed are mentioned together is the depression. When you go from being a fairly healthy active individual to having the body wracked with a deadly disease its only natural. It can help you keep a positive attitude which is more important than any medicine the doctor can give you or any treatment he can prescribe.
edit on 13-1-2017 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

OP, I think your problem with this report is because of the source you choose to report it. Daily Mail. NPR has a more balanced look at this report:
Marijuana's Health Effects? Top Scientists Weigh In

Daily Mail is trying to sensationalize this report negatively, but it is actually a decent report in favor of medical marijuana. Here is how NPR covered the mental health part:

Mental health problems While the report notes some research suggesting that using marijuana might increase risk of developing schizophrenia or other social anxiety disorders, the committee of scientists cautions that there may be other explanations for that link; it could simply be, for example, that people with these mental health problems are more likely to smoke marijuana.

That's FAR saner than the verbiage that the Daily Fail used.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Gonna have to call BS since it's practically illegal to do the scientific studies in the US. The conclusions are spurious at best

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I'm sure some other ATSer has already taken the time to tell you how FOS your thread is and reminded you that reading an entire article is better than using a small section out-of-context to further your own prejudices. But just in case everyone is asleep at the switch I'll give you this from your own cited article:

The report lists nearly 100 conclusions about marijuana and its similarly acting chemical cousins, drawing on studies published since 1999. Committee members cautioned that most conclusions are based on statistical links between use and health, rather than direct demonstrations of cause and effect.
Emphasis mine.

There have been studies going back to the 50's that refute all of your tripe. But why let facts get in the way of your agenda. Who needs critical thinking, right?

edit on 13-1-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I always found it rather funny that the prescription meds they throw out like candy, to treat depression etc, list risks like depression and suicidal thoughts as side effects! Rather counter productive but hey, there's money to be made and that is still legal.

My sister works as part of a crisis team in a mental health department and many of the people she visits have psychological issues determined to be as a result of heavy marijuana use, especially the more potent types such as Skunk.
However, most of those people were / are very heavy users looking for bigger highs, rather than the occasional or medicinal user looking for a short term relaxant or pain easing option, who usually use a less potent form anyway and who never exhibit the symptoms promoted by those looking to ban outright.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I was not familiar with 'skunk'. For anyone else who isn't -

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join