It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana DOES cause schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, medical benefits as 'unproven'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Don't know the effects of MJ because of lack of studies. Can't study it cause it is restricted. Perfect.

MJ raises the risk of getting schizophrenia and heart attacks according to a study. Although a Fed panel says it does ease chronic pain and may help people sleep. But all the other medical benefits are unproven.

Marijuana does raise the risk of getting schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, according to the most significant study on the drug's effects to date.

A federal advisory panel admitted cannabis can almost certainly ease chronic pain, and might help some people sleep.

But it dismisses most of the drug's other supposedly 'medical benefits' as unproven.

Not enough research to say if MJ treats epilepsy. The report cast doubt about cancer treatment and treating Parkinson's.

Crucially, the researchers concluded there is not enough research to say whether marijuana effectively treats epilepsy - one of the most widely-recognized reasons for cannabis prescriptions.

The report also casts doubt on using cannabis to treat cancers, irritable bowel syndrome, or certain symptoms of Parkinson's disease, or helping people beat addictions.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... dical-benefits-unproven.html#ixzz4VbL0Vpc7

Limited research, and there is are restrictions on studying this very dangerous drug. So the researchers have to jump through hoops to do research.

Several factors have limited research. While the federal government has approved some medicines containing ingredients found in marijuana, it still classifies marijuana as illegal and imposes restrictions on research. So scientists have to jump through bureaucratic hoops that some find daunting, the report said.

A federal focus on paying for studies of potential harms has also impeded research into possible health benefits, the report said. The range of marijuana products available for study has also been restricted, although the government is expanding the number of approved suppliers.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Got rid of this guy for being honest
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: kibric

Hard to prove benefits because we don't have the studies. But we have enough studies to determine it DOES cause the scary stuff, RIGHT?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Strong evidence links marijuana use to the risk of developing schizophrenia and other causes of psychosis, with the highest risk among the most frequent users.

dónde está la evidencia fuerte

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

No professor Nutt debunks most scare tactics used to
make Cannabis the boogey man

Skunk at high THC levels can cause temporary psychosis
but as soon as its out your system it's gone

all in all alcohol is far more dangerous than naturally grown weed

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

When I came to learn the fact that the human body utilizes a network called 'The Endocannabinoid System' that is a network that regulates individual body functions and acts as a balancer within. This was not taught to us in health class... why not? I add this learned information to the fact that it grows from the damn ground... we are not talking some synthetic drug humans consume daily (food, prescriptions, flouride) that is routinely viewed as acceptable if not needed.

So, why would humans restrict a natural substance that affects a natural entity because synthetic analytics are yet to be determined.

Honestly, to debate against marijuana usage is to debate in favor of mixed up priorities. It's been recently theorized that Aluminum Oxides in deodorant have links to Alzheimer's Disease. See how herbal debates become stupid?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

yes i like to see that strong evidence
guarantee they are talking about Skunk

big difference when it comes to Cannabis

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Well if it's so hard to get permission to study it then how did they come to the conclusion that it causes schizophrenia and heart attacks then???

I'd say someone is just making that sh*t up and there was no study that determined that at all. But since they won't allow anyone to study it there is also nobody that can study it to find out if this study is correct or not.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I've always wondered why studies can't simply be conducted in Amsterdam or another country where it is legal. But then I realize, I don't care enough.

For what it's worth, I always thought it was common knowledge that there are risks and benefits associated with using cannabis and that includes mental and emotional risks and benefits. The more one uses, the higher the risk factor becomes.

Still, alcohol is worse.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I would imagine this should be studied asap. And allow people to choose how to live their lives.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Hard to prove benefits because we don't have the studies. But we have enough studies to determine it DOES cause the scary stuff, RIGHT?

No more than anything else, but its good that its being studied. a informed consumer and all that.

In regards to heart attacks, from the article:

There's weak evidence that suggests smoking marijuana can trigger a heart attack, especially for people at high risk of heart disease. But there's no evidence either way on whether chronic use affects a person's risk of a heart attack.

Note the word "weak".
If you have severe heart issues, you probably need to be very careful on anything you take.
I would start discussing the comparison of Alcohol to Weed, but whats the point..the side by side always looks amazingly unbalanced.

But yeah..more studies is good, need to know lots of french frys will give me health issues and list them..just dont ban frys

edit on 12-1-2017 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Wont be long before marijuana is actually causing all kinds of problems... look who joined the game..

MONSANTO GMO MARIJUANA

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Maybe not "official " studies but there is a lot of independent research out there.

Obviously anecdotal but cmon most of the psychotics I know are politicians and religious extremists all anti mj sooo...

And most lifetime mj users I know are relaxed people with good jobs.

Sure some are "out there " but I'll take that over a drunk or junkie any day.

Obviously if you take too much you'll have a. A bad time.
If I drink too much green tea (actual green tea, ya hippy!) on an empty stomach you better Lookout!

Sorry but I just don't see if. If it's not for you it's not for you. But don't feed the fear.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine? Hmm, maybe they need some fake studies to parade to Sessions, trying to help along their agendas.

One source on the heart attack claim:

- There's weak evidence that suggests smoking marijuana can trigger a heart attack, especially for people at high risk of heart disease. But there's no evidence either way on whether chronic use affects a person's risk of a heart attack.

see here

Another MSM source:
www.cbsnews.com...

- There’s strong evidence that using marijuana increases the risk of a traffic accident, but no clear indication that it promotes workplace accidents or injuries, or death from a marijuana overdose.

Guess they missed the recent study shared in a thread about this very topic.

edit on 12-1-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

great another thing they'll sh#t all over

im going back to my cave...

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I smoked for years, its used as a medicine in both Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Thing about meds is they tend to cause what they treat.

I gave it up rather than paying hipsters to play xbox and take trips to Europe on my dime.

It should be legal, but folks are lying to themselves if they think its entirely harmless.

....as I polish off a bottle of red

edit on 12-1-2017 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Imho, being fairly experienced with the herb:

Tetrahydrocannibinol in some can and does sometimes induce psychosis, not limited to delusion and potentially even hallucination, especially with regard to high potency edibles.

HOWEVER

And this is a very important thing to mention, is that another chief compound in cannabis is CBD or cannabidiol.

Cannabidiol has been shown from numerous studies to actually counteract psychosis, and actually acts on neurotransmitters similarly to atypical anti psychotics.

So, pot may be linked to schizophrenia, bipolar, schizoaffective disorders and their onset, yes, but cannabidiol may very well be a possible supplement to treat these disorders. Also, and i cant stress this enough, solely blaming weed for the onset of one or more of these conditions is fool hardy.

However, again, how well do we really understand these "disorders" and the plant itself, let alone the breadth of its effects? How it may effect learning, memory, consciousness, and perception in general.

There are a lot of unknowns and many questions, but seemingly more carpet statements and accusations based largely in ignorance and false concepts of cause and effect.

Take it from a person who has utilized cannabis and has a 'condition.'

edit on 12-1-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Correct, this is a play out of the preinternet play book. BOO!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

"Very dangerous drug".

Statistically it's safer than sleeping.

But I'm sure the daily mail wouldn't lie to me, right?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: kibric
Skunk at high THC levels can cause temporary psychosis
but as soon as its out your system it's gone

As a stoner for 20yrs and someone who has seen many instances of psychosis I can say that's completely wrong.

People saying it's harmless are as bad as those saying it will make you kill a family.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join