It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Toast Alert! -- State of Emergency in Missouri

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
So for those of you living under a rock, there is a major winter storm expected in the Kansas/Missouri area this weekend.

As of this afternoon, Governor Greitens declared a state of emergency in Missouri.

Here's Joe Lauria's weather blog on it. He thinks we're looking at between .25 to .5 inch of ice by the time the Chiefs and Steelers kick off on Sunday. He does not expect widespread of prolonged power outages in this area at least. There would need to either much more ice (closer to an inch) or wind with the storm which the models don't indicate. That being said, there will likely be some spotty outages.

The main issues will be roads and maybe some limbs.

Now for the fun tidbits. We were forced out tonight to do a round of French Toast shopping since our regular shopping day for the week is Sunday.

Wow! I have never seen a grocery store so busy in my life. I have never seen so many things tapped out. There were no carts! They were all in use. We had to use a kiddie cart. The lines were wrapping clear up the aisles and every check out stand was busy. I guess this is what happens when everyone thinks they're going to die AND there is a playoff party to plan for at the same time.

Anyhow, if you live in the Kansas and Missouri area, try to plan to stay home for a few days. Ice is just no fun to drive on.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Stay warm, stay safe.

We're looking at arctic temps here in SE Washington where the usual winter temps are mid 30's.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Yeah, went to the store today, haven't seen the bread aisle so bare.

Not too worried, since 10 years ago, limbs are well trimmed from power lines and Saturday will see warmer rain.

I have RW drive charger so taking a vacation day tomorrow, not really in the mood to drive reverse all the way to work and back.

Main thing people need to understand, 4 wheel drive does not mean you are immune to icy roads.

The bright side to a disaster is, it does bring communities together, if only for a short time.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Husband is telecommuting tomorrow. With the state of emergency in effect, I am guessing kiddo either may not have school or it may be called as soon as something wet falls.

I may be the only one who has to go anywhere tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Hate, hate, hate ice storms. We are on the edge of it here. It was 68 when I took the kids to school this morning. By 3 this afternoon it was dropping fast. I have to leave around 6 in the morning to get my youngest to Vanderbilt in Nashville. Hoping it's not going to be bad driving conditions. Stay warm.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Stay safe. Hope that there is not too much ice and especially hope there is no loss of life with this much advanced warning.

I am so glad that your ice will not be visiting us this weekend as our temps are unseasonable warm and predicted to stay that way through early next week.

We had an ice storm two years ago that was catastrophic, literally.

The run on the grocery stores always makes me chuckle as it's as if we have NO food in the house at all to carry us through a day or three. I am the laziest grocery shopper ever but, I think we could last a couple of days anyway. Milk and bread would NOT be on the list.

Here's a meme for laughs!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

We wouldn't have bothered except this thing hits on our regular shopping day. Ordinarily, we ignore it and carry on as usual because we do have emergency supplies. But it was either shop today or wait until middle of next week.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Main thing people need to understand, 4 wheel drive does not mean you are immune to icy roads.

Your mouth/keyboard, to their stupid little ears.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

A 3300 to 5500 gennie always makes you feel a little more secure
Good luck, 4 years in New Hampshire winters taught me alot about ice and a sore back

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Main thing people need to understand, 4 wheel drive does not mean you are immune to icy roads

A moose on ice skates has the same traction as a hockey player, eh?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We wouldn't have bothered except this thing hits on our regular shopping day. Ordinarily, we ignore it and carry on as usual because we do have emergency supplies. But it was either shop today or wait until middle of next week.

I completely understand...

I have thought, in the past, 'thank gosh it's hitting us on the weekend' and at the same time 'Oh damn it's hitting us on the weekend'!

I heard Stephanie Abrams (sp) this morning saying that a 1/4 inch of ice was equal to a 120 pound person hanging to an electric line...that's insane! Here, the lines would be down for sure!

I hope there is not much suffering for you all there!

When the ice storm rolled through here (two years ago, I think) folks lost entire freezers of food, ran out of money for back up heat (kerosene etc.), some folks had no water. The big TVA lines went down, the main ones that feed the county and some folks were frozen for days and it tooks a long time to fix all of the devastation.

I was even more convinced to never live North of where I am now LOL

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

The power lines here are supposed to be rated for up to a half inch unless it gets windy. So we should be mostly OK at .25 inch.

I remember the big storm in 2002 that had some people out of power for weeks! It stayed cold then too and we had snow on top of the ice. This time we're supposed to hit 50 something on Monday.

We got lucky that time because we lived in an apartment complex with buried lines. This time, we're in a house with exposed lines.
edit on 12-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

Main thing people need to understand, 4 wheel drive does not mean you are immune to icy roads

A moose on ice skates has the same traction as a hockey player, eh?

Umm...

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Don't take chances and stay safe.

Having lived in Findlay and Collinsville IL for several years and worked in St. Louis, I know how crappy and dangerous the ice storms can get.

I don't miss that stuff at all. I was just in MA last week and it was getting testy, left a couple hours before they were to get 12" of snow.

I've always had studded tires, they are great in snow but ice is a whole nother animal. Easy on the brake pedal people, pump it.

I love french toast. And bacon!!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The worst I ever saw in my native Missouri was a storm of freezing sleet in Howell County which left the whole area covered in what looked like thick milk glass. In the day, it would melt on the top, and was insanely slippery. I had to go to work on hilly country roads for about two miles before I got to the cleared County road. Technique with the brakes was essential, as was taking your half of the road out of the middle.

I'm just glad I'm now retired - the car is in the garage and will stay there!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Life long Michigander here...stay safe and keep it real

Give yourself lots of extra time to get where your going... get your blankets and candles and embrace it if you can.

I lost power for 2.5 days a few years ago it was in the 20s I think my dog and I kept each other alive lol

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
French toast shopping?

Bread and eggs?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

So you're looking at. . . . the apocal-ice.

(sorry)

Stay safe!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
A major storm around here is one with over two feet of snow along with blowing and drifting in a two day period. I just can't understand why they have so much problem with six inches of snow.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Nothing is immune to ice. Anyone who says they can drive on ice is either delusional or a liar. Snow still gives some traction, but a layer of ice gives none.

Everyone in the path of this, please get ready and hunker down to stay safe.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join