It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a Migraine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
a reply to: studio500

I do believe YOU have suffered from an actual migraine problem. I understand what you are dealing with, it's hard to sift through the BS and those who claim they are dealing with this, but I know you are, based on your symptoms. Please know you are not alone. It can be frustrating when people having bad headaches and stress headaches try to equate it as the same thing.

Thanks Wookie, I do agree that many people think a severe headache is a migraine, which it isn't but at the same time I do understand that some types of headache are truly terrible in their ferocity.

I also suffer from BAM migraines and more regularly suicide headaches which I think are brought on when under severe stress.
During a suicide headache attack (cluster Headache) that I and others experience, the pain experienced is actually much worse that any Hemiplegic episode I have ever had. A hemiplegic headache will knock you off your feet and make you totally unable to communicate, think, see or even walk properly. The pain is horrendous and has a throbbing pain like no other but a Cluster headache is pain on a truly different level and it's only during one of these that I have truly thought about killing myself to relieve the pain.
Putting my head under a bus would seem less painful as at least the pain would stop. That pain is like having your head in a giant clamp, shrinking your head down to the size of an apple with the pressure increasing dramatically along the way.

I agree though, that often people who suffer from a bad headache regularly label them as migraines and this is what causes confusion amongst the public and perhaps even the medical world.

Some forms of migraine are so rare that even a GP may only see one or two sufferers during his entire career.

My suicide headaches only started after I was badly assaulted by a large gang of men who effectively kicked my head in using the heals of their boots when I was 17/18.
They damaged my thoracic spine at c3 c4 c5, and as a result I have suffered from shoulder and neck pain all my life.

What's worse though is that I never attended hospital at the time as I had was joining the Police Force at the time and didn't want this to affect my chance of getting in.
I found out years later that I had suffered some damage to my brain as I had several cystic voids, whatever they are. Apparently Boxers get this type of injury.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
One more thing, (apologies if I'm rambling).

For those who suffer from Migraine, recent studies have found that a drug called Topimirate is good at preventing future attacks. It is actually used to treat epilepsy but It works well in preventing migraine.

It worked for me but my Doc has now taken me off this as I was on it for several years.

Also Pregablin (Lyrica), Gabapentin and Duloxetine are also prescribed but in all honesty I would avoid these meds as the side effects and withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. Especially with Duloxetine, I've been through withdrawal from all of these and Duloxetine is by far the worst as it really can ruin your life.
I understand that there is an ongoing class action lawsuit re this drug in the US but in the UK, no action at all.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I suffered migraine headaches for 30 years with no relief. I am talking about full on disabled lie down and dont move suffering of a severe kind. Pain that causes you to puke your guts out. Pain that closes in on you and absolutely makes you wish for nothing but death. They may last for hours or days. I have lost all kinds of work because of them and they have really effected my life in a negative way.

About 10 years ago I happened to see a doctor that was supposed to be filling in for a doctor that was leaving practice.
He prescribed Atenolol, a minor blood pressure medicine that is safe and well tolerated. This was the answer for me.
I have had 0 (Absolutely jumping up and down with joy about it) Migraines since starting this medicine. After so long on a dark road I was amazed and disappointed in the medical field because no one had prescribed this for me earlier. A small amount of 12.5 milligrams a day changed my life.

I only replied to this thread in hopes that someone else may ask their doctor about it and get some relief especially when I see all the crap some people have to take to get almost no relief.

TAW

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Can u break down this? Atenolol

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Can u break down this? Atenolol

I had problem with Atenolol, I was getting chronic bronchitis and pleuracy and pneumonia when I was on it. I didn't even realize there was a connection till I was going back through our receipts and doctor bills going back over twenty five years. I was on Beta blockers for my tachychardia about four different times. and I worked construction outside. I noticed the only times I had those three kinds of problems I was on beta blockers. I thought it was strange and mentioned it on here and someone who was a doctor said that those lung problems were common on beta blockers. So I looked it up and sure enough, those problems are a common side effect of beta blockers. I had quit the beta blockers because after a while my thinking got really poor and I would lose my common sense and was getting dangerous while driving. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that bronchitis and pleuracy would be a side effect of beta blockers. I was under the impression that they would not effect stuff like that. I have studied how they work extensively now and under the right conditions they are good for some people. But not when you work outside in the winter and not when you can't properly break them down to excrete them.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I had bad side effects with both Atenolol and with Toprimate. Even tried Depakote and darn near lost all my hair.

To be honest, unless they have come up with something new within the last year, I think I may have tried everything that is available, both on and off use, except for Botox. Had too many bad reactions with the standard stuff to even think about going the Botox route.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think I know what a migraine is but I am not sure. I have trigeminal neuralgia and nothing so far works,I`m on my 2nd neurologist and prescribed gabapentin which does not give any relief.So far after 70 days of gabapentin all that has happened is my episodes went from 2 or 3 times a week to 5 or 6 a day.I can`t get through to the neurologist that the effects are bad.Topamax just gave me bad aching in all my joints and did nothing for the original condition.
Tegretol is the only med that really worked,it worked beautifully until I had a severe reaction,blisters all over my body,feet ,legs,hands,ears,one side of my face and under finger nails.Really similar to burns.
I don`t know where to go next with this,I see no way out.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Oh, man! I feel for you. As much as migraines are a curse, I've heard that trigeminal neuralgia is actually far worse. It's continual, unrelenting and intense in a way that migraines, as bad as they are, are not.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Most everything I've ever learned about migraine is that it's highly individual. What works for one of us may not work well for another.

I tolerate Topamax very well (topamirate) but others have a horrible time with it and cannot tolerate and while others can tolerate it, it doesn't help them. For every drug that can and has helped someone, there are others who just don't get any benefit from it.

And for every person who says, "This is what helped me" or "This is what causes mine" or "This is what finally cured me" there will be just as many others who will look at them funny and tell them they're full of it because whatever that magic bullet is made no dent or difference whatsoever for them.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

I do believe YOU have suffered from an actual migraine problem. I understand what you are dealing with, it's hard to sift through the BS and those who claim they are dealing with this, but I know you are, based on your symptoms. Please know you are not alone. It can be frustrating when people having bad headaches and stress headaches try to equate it as the same thing.

Really?

So when I had aura bad enough that the visual disturbance would blind me and then I went aphasic and half my body was numb and the friend I was with was insisting I should go to the ER because he thought I was stroking, that's not migraine?

I don't go there to that degree often, but I do aura often with bad visual disturbance and some numbness.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I usually get a "tell" 2-4 hours before as a warning, its like;" You been a naughty boy, here is the prize " Nothing will stop it, painkillers relieves some of the most intense pain, and it lasts for about 8-12 hours, and most intense in between, 4-6 hours.
Then i sleep for almost two days, and the world looks like a new and wonderful place afterwards.

I hadnt had a attack in a couple of months. I did a lot of changes to my diet.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TAWonATS

Sorry to hear of your pain but great addition to the thread.

I've never heard of that med being used before but by the sound of it you've had great results.

Well worth looking into.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Sunwolf, I must agree that Gabapentin had zero effect on migraines also.

Sorry to hear you're not tolerating any meds, I can only imagine what pain you must be in when they do hit.

I hope you find something, I really do.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Ketsuko, How many of the hemiplegic migraines do you have a year?

Has any Neuro ever suggested hemipelgia to you?

I ask because of the very real dangers that are associated with taking Ergotamines.

In effect when you get the one sided numbness you are experiencing the effects of a mini stroke. Except with a stroke a blood clot is the cause but in a hemiplegic migraine its the very severe constriction of the vessels that blocks the blood flow causing the same symptoms.
If you ever get one again you should take an aspirin straight away even though you're currently taking Naproxen, which is what I'm taking at present along with a bunch of other stuff.

I wish you well but please be cautious if you have another hemiplegic attack

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I don't believe I said you specifically don't get migraines. In fact, what you described DOES sound like a migraine. I'm only pointing out that it's not just as simple as a bad "headache" and they are often mis diagnosed as migraines which really throws a wrench into the whole thing for people actually suffering with migraines.
edit on 13-1-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Yes to both questions. Luckily, I haven't had a Hemiplegic type migraine in a while, but like Ketsuko, I have had them in combination with Aura as well. It's the worst experience imaginable.

edit on 13-1-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Migraines usually have triggers, many foods can give people migraines. Going from hot to an air conditioned room can trigger a migraine. You just need to identify your triggers and adjust your lifestyle or diet to compensate for it. It is not nearly as much change as people think it is. Almost all migraine sites tell you this, but figuring it out takes a while, it could take a person six months to definitely identify a trigger and sometimes it is a cross reaction between a couple of foods or a food and environmental condition.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join