It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama scrapping ‘wet foot, dry foot’ policy for Cubans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Obama scrapping ‘wet foot, dry foot’ policy for Cubans

Well this is big. No more wet foot, dry foot for Cubans coming to this country.

I'm sure this will spark some outrage in the Cuban community. I've worked with many a Cuban that have braved that trip here. And many just want to get out of that repressive hell hole and come here to work and live the American Dream.

And I'm surprised that this came up under Obama. I would of thought for sure that Trump would of been the one to end this policy.

What does everyone else think?

President Barack Obama is ending a longstanding immigration policy that allows any Cuban who makes it to U.S. soil to stay and become a legal resident, a senior administration official said Thursday.

The repeal of the “wet foot, dry foot” policy is effective immediately, according the official. The decision follows months of negotiations focused in part on getting Cuba to agree to take back people who had arrived in the U.S.

The U.S. and Cuba planned to issue a joint statement late Thursday. The official insisted on anonymity in order to detail the change ahead of the announcement.

edit on 12-1-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

If the diplomatic relations continue to improve, removing this policy makes sense.

Cuba SHOULD get better with good diplomatic relations with America. How good is a matter of time I suppose and whose in charge over there.

But yeah, makes sense to me.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I get it. It's part of the process to normalize relations with the Castro regime.

However I wouldn't send anyone who's made it here before the policy ended back.

They don't have the best human rights record.

The island is a down right scary place for the people that live there.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
America should just annex Cuba as the 51st state, and be over with it. All Cubans want to be Americans, and America already has permanent military base in Cuba. They should just make it official, and extend the border of the USA to include that nearest island, which is a mere 90 miles from the Florida Keys. Given that international law says every nation owns the seas within 200 miles of its shores, Cuba is already within the US 200 mile shore line. So, Cuba is practically inside the US already.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

No don't send them back, that would be rude as hell and very dangerous.

And Miami would be empty.

~Tenth.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I think that it may not be the best of times to end this but I did think that if the US-Cuba relations improve over the next few years that this policy would be eradicated. It has been a lifeline for many, I agree there but I have to also point out that it may also be part of what drives some of the people in Cuba to even contemplate the whole attempt in the first place. I feel that if the countries can work out a Visa/passport entry system for both nations then this other policy of instant asylum or whatever it is should go away.

Now the question is, was it done too early? I almost agree that it was but there is a part of me that is looking for a silver lining and I think that it is perhaps President Obama feels that it is time to force the Cuban relationships to be forged on the tail of Castro's departure. It does seem like a window for opportunities has been opened.... maybe he knows more than we do and has communicated it to President-Elect Trump.

edit on 12-1-2017 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
In the interest of normalizing relations, shouldn't Cuba pay US companies for the property that they seized when Castro came into power?
Interest would be nice too.... how long ago was that?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Could this be retaliation for the election? Cuban Americans did vote 2-1 for Trump. Many of them at one time were recipients of the wet foot/dry foot policy.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Link to video in case people want to watch.

bcove.me...

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
Could this be retaliation for the election? Cuban Americans did vote 2-1 for Trump. Many of them at one time were recipients of the wet foot/dry foot policy.

I had not thought of that but can certainly see where it would be a thorn to some....
It is a likely possibility.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

The sleeper cells have already squeaked in via beachfront under the guise of being a Cuban.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Now they can fly here?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
According to the MSM, that would make him a bigot and a racist.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
How did the policy work for Elian Gonzales under Clinton's Presidency ?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I never understood why Cubans have that privilege. Migration laws should be the same for all.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Elians case was different.

He came over with his mother. The mother drowned.

His father demanded him back. The courts ruled that his relatives here couldn't file for his asylum.

So he was sent back. And now he's a sock puppet for the castro regime.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

originally posted by: Gothmog

Elians case was different.

He came over with his mother. The mother drowned.

His father demanded him back. The courts ruled that his relatives here couldn't file for his asylum.

So he was sent back. And now he's a sock puppet for the castro regime.

Janet Reno.

The kid was an american citizen.

Anyway....

Had a girlfriend and her family come over from Cuba in 65', Castro took everything from them.

The place is still the same, nothing has changed with Obama's outreach.

I think it's a good idea to waive the policy, it'll put more pressure on Raul to change things.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
You answered intelligently and with facts.The law doesnt have an age limit or parental guidance law. If anyone fleeing from an Cubas oppressive regime sets foot on US soil they are automatically a US citizen. Period. No clauses , ifs or buts..
The same Janet Reno that ordered the raid on Waco that killed innocent women and children that they were supposed to be rescuing.
edit on 1/13/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

join