It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Losing Weight and Keeping It Off?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Couldn't decide where to put this initially, but I thought it pertains more to overall health and here it is.

There are certain foods that you can eat that supposedly have a "Negative" caloric content after being digested.

nypost.com...
I have listed 20 of them for you to peruse:

Apples, Apricots, Beetroot, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Celery, Watercress, Cucumber, Garlic, Grapefruit, Green beans, Kale, Leeks, Lemons, Lettuce, Onions, Raspberries, Strawberries, Rutabaga and Watermelon.

en.wikipedia.org...
Eating these specific foods may cause a thermic effect which is defined as this:

Specific dynamic action (SDA), also known as Thermic effect of food (TEF) or dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT), is the amount of energy expenditure above the resting metabolic rate due to the cost of processing food for use and storage.

Now, this doesn't mean you are supposed to eat these without a limit, especially if you are diabetic. Just about every food will break down into sugar that can overload your system if you do not produce natural insulin, so moderation is still recommended, any portion larger than your palm is too much.

These foods, along with low fat, high protein meats, like shrimp, turkey breast or lean beef and lean pork, together in moderation (palm size) will help you lose weight. Increasing your metabolism by doing exercises (water aerobics are least stressful) before and/or after eating and limiting your caloric intake prior to sleep, will, also, be necessary to keep weight gain from happening.

Fad diets and empty calories only lead to an increase in weight due to the binge eating that takes place from lack of satisfying cravings that the body wants and the mind has to have. Want to eat what you want to eat when you want to eat it? Moderation is the key along with timing. Have that piece of chocolate cheesecake before you exercise and make it a small one, no problem, this applies to any food favorite you may crave.

Do not deprive yourself of "comfort food" when you crave it, you will only make your weight gain worse, because you will overdo your intake when you finally give in. Want to eat some FF's (small order) or potato chips, have a handful and put the bag away. Chocolate ice cream or cookies? Have a scoop (small) or a few (3) and put them away.

Many of you eat salads or vegetables and want to lather dressing or cheese sauce on them. Don't. Instead, measure a small amount (tbl. spoon) and instead of just pouring all over, cut it into the salad or vegetables, allowing for the dispersal to be more even with less. Same goes for butter (or margarine), melt a table spoon and pour that on, then cut it or mix it in.

Use smaller plates and small utensils to give you a limit for intake, too. Big plates cause you to fill them up and large utensils cause you to eat more than you need. Same goes for drinking liquids, use smaller cups and don't ever drink before or during eating, especially if you eat bread, this will only cause your stomach to increase in size (making you eat more to feel full) or cause you to feel bloated and deprive you of getting the nourishment your body needs for a healthy and balanced meal.

You have eating habits that have to be retrained whenever you decide to lose weight. It requires dedication and perseverance to maintain changes and forgiveness when you bend the rules. You have to set goals and keep them. Write little notes to yourself and put them on the mirror and the fridge to remind you what you are trying to accomplish.

My goal is________. Make a drawing of your palm and put that up to remember portion size. Get rid of large glassware or "BIG" cups. I promise you if your goal is to lose weight and keep it off or to reduce your sugar intake, this regimen will work better than any fad diet could or will.

Exercise, Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner, snack, Exercise. Moderation and 30 minutes of exercise. Walk, swim, treadmill or sex will increase metabolism and burn calories, help process sugar and fat for your body to store properly and use, or dispose of unwanted waste. Don't forget to make sure you are increasing your daily fiber content, too.
edit on 1-12-2017 by searcherfortruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I don't eat white, bread,rice,pasta. 6months down 100lbs. All I eat is protein and greens for the most part. Feel like a million bucks!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Carbs are the enemy! I never saw you mention carbs in this OP. They are the enemy.

Once you've lost the weight you desire, the key is to eat what you want but limit yourself to 60 carbs for breakfast, 60 for lunch and 60 for dinner, with a 30 carb snack in between. Stick to this and you will maintain the weight you desire and probably continue to lose.

Oh yeah, and drink water all day - at least four 16 oz. bottles of water per day and absolutely no soda. Cut out the pop! It's all about cutting out sugars and you're sure to be at a healthy weight.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Eat less; move more.

Really, people make it overly complicated and psych themselves out. Eat whole, unprocessed foods and don't snack. Your body will settle at a healthy weight specific for you.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Don't eat any food that has an ingredient list (this is even harder than it sounds), get good at lifting heavy weights (don't neglect the five minuet dynamic warm-up) before beginning any cardio programme. This approach will work well for both sexes.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth
I have tried them all lost 100"s of pounds over the years and put them all back on. There is only one diet I have tried that you lose weight, change your metabolic system, and keep the weight off. It's called the "Potato Hack" It's simple, cheap and it absolutely works if you are disciplined. I won't go into details there are a ton of sites that detail the diet, but as I said extremely simple. There is also a book called "The Potato Hack" written by Tim Steele. I make no wild claims, just try it, it works.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Look into the keto diet and try to exercise at least 40mins each day. Do 3-4 days of medium to intense exercise, then use 2-3 days as "rest" days, where you do light exercise to allow your body to recover, but still continue burning calories. Walk for an hour, go on a hike, go for a bike ride, swim at the beach etc. To keep the weight off permanently you really have to make healthy eating and being active an integral part of your lifestyle.

I follow keto loosely and have lost almost 2 inches off my waist in the past 5 weeks (in combination with exercise), without any loss in muscle mass (I've actually gained muscle). Aim to minimise carbs, look to get most of your daily energy needs from "good" fats, and be careful of how much protein you eat. Excess protein can be turned into sugars which will take your body out of ketosis. Some artificial sweeteners also have a similar effect.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Very interesting post and some good information there!

People have all sorts of different "methods" to losing weight......

As someone who is a personal trainer the hardest part about losing weight and getting healthy, both for myself and clients.....

IS THE DIET! its 90 percent diet and 10 percent working out, I work out 6 days a week....

There are paleo diets, there is Atkins.....there are so so many.....

But the easiest is to track your macros, protein, fats, carbs etc etc etc.....

Once you have found out what your macros are, you can eat what you want as long as you STAY within those macros that are set to your weight/muscle objective....

The biggest thing to remember is, it didnt take 3 months to put on all the weight, it will take time to get off and to get it off and keep it off its imperative to do it healthy...

Fad diets might work fast , but most times they are not sustainable and can be detrimental to your health.....

After the military and life actually kicked in, 8 yrs later I found myself 5'11 245lbs and 36 percent bodyfat, I was almost half made of fat!

I decided to get myself back under control, brought my best bud in who trains body builders to kick my butt into shape......

Along the road I found my passion with this and saw how much it helped me, and took the leap to get my certificates done, and have been engrossed in it ever since....

Today im now 205 lbs with 12% bodyfat, by the time my next competition comes my goal stage day will be 210 and leaned out at 6% (thats just for comp lol not regular every day)

Anyway , good post OP this is a subject very close to my heart and anyone wishing to get into shape can.

1. decide what your goal is
2. Find out what your Macros should be for your height , weight, and BF %
3. Commit Commit Commit
4. Meal prep, I cant stress this enough, Pick a day of the week and make your meals for the week, youll thank yourself about Wed.
5. Workout at least 3-4 times a week, cardio every day...
6. Drink at least a gallon of water a day, your body needs this
7.EAT MORE THAN 3 MEALS A DAY!!!!! Eating more frequent meals through out the day keeps your metabolism running constantly

STICK TO IT! you CAN DO IT!
edit on 1/13/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
Eat less; move more.

Really, people make it overly complicated and psych themselves out. Eat whole, unprocessed foods and don't snack. Your body will settle at a healthy weight specific for you.

You actually SHOULD snack between meals, but its all in WHAT youre snacking on.....

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
Need Help Losing Weight and Keeping It Off?

There is one sure way to lose weight!
Pain!
No one is hungry when in pain!
Get a Black and Decker drill and a 1/16th" carbide bit.
Now drill a hole in any tooth.
Guaranteed weight loss!

My doctor came within moments of killing me with his meds (now he's king of meds!), and I lost between a pound and three a day!
Dr. no longer killing me, and most of the weight hasn't come back (constant Mindfulness!)!

But the Pain is the surest way.
All (okay, ALMOST ALL) the diets and exercise crap is a waste of time!

edit on 13-1-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Want to lose weight?

Go to bed hungry...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
For the obese. Intermittant fasting. Its your insulin sensitivity thats the initial problem. Get that under control and you can excercise and diet however you want.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Fresh organifi green juice wins health points over packaged fruit juice and smoothies on several counts. First, most fruit juices sold commercially in the UK are pasteurised. Nutritionist Vicki Edgson says: "They're heat-treated so they have a longer shelf life and no bacteria, but this means unfortunately a lot of the nutritional value is knocked out." Second, green juices contain much less sugar than their fruity counterparts. Third, there is a range of nutrients present in those dark green vegetables, the ones we're always being told to eat more of – kale is packed with beta-carotene, calcium, vitamin C and vitamin K.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I believe in long term sustainable loss. 3500 calories equals 1 pound of weight. If you eat a balanced diet with a caloric intake that maintains your weight according to your body...cutting 500 calories daily will loose you one pound a week. imo that is healthy and sustainable over a lifetime...forget the "quick fix". The key is to count every calorie eaten...including condiments, butter..etc.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I went back to work in the middle of last month after being a stay-at home
housewife for nearly 15 years.Getting off of my sofa and desk chair and doing
physical labor,I have lost 10 pounds so far.
I watch what I eat and I drink a protein shake at work and drink water.I don't
deprive myself of any junk food,I just eat very little of it.I want to lose about
10 pounds per month and keep it off.I will be at my goal weight by early summer.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
There's tons of diets....and tons of ways to lose weight.

But, dieting won't keep the weight OFF!
You need to develop a healthy way of eating.
Limit carbs, especially grains...and most especially wheat.
Do not skip meals.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
A few years ago I started to take legal steroids and buy hgh. I was really fat and wanted to gain some muscles. I actively attended gym and followed low carbon diet. By the help of steroids I quickly lost a few pounds and now have a toned body. PS I had 80+ pounds weight.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I never look at food packaging, I never look at calorie content and I never look at serving sizes. Last year I lost the remaining 70lbs of the 100lbs I had been trying to lose for over 6 years.

Things to know:

AVOID ANY KIND OF SUPPLEMENTARY PROGRAM. No. No no no. Herbalife, Slimfast etc. stay the hell away. There is no magic pill that busts fat or boosts metabolism. NO THERE IS NOT. I'll flat out scream it till I'm blue in the face. There is no magic pill you can buy to make you lose weight. The majority of the ingredients of most of these 'weight loss systems' are diuretics - they'll make you pee loads and you'll pay hundreds of dollars for the same effect licking a dandelion or drinking a coffee would do. Don't do it.

Tablets do not boost your metabolism. You don't need a tablet to do this. Some like Ketones say "Boosts metabolism after two weeks" - two weeks is a lot of tablets to take a gamble on whether or not they work. You know how you can boost your metabolism instantly and it lasts the entire day and it's free? Exercise. 30 mins of exercise in the mornings will raise your metabolism for the entire day. It doesn't have to be hard, just go for a 30 min walk, or a swim or do some gentle yoga. ANYTHING that gets the heart going, hell even sex.

Anything to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise and says so on the bottle, will not work.

The hardest thing about losing weight is changing how you eat. Weight loss is done in the kitchen, I used to read it day after day on the forums and groups I was part of, and they're right.

In 2014 I was eating crap all the time, I practically lived off of 'junk food'. Now I cook most of my own meals from scratch, not always because effort, but the types of food I eat for my own convenience has changed. My tastes towards food have changed entirely, whereas I would've had no problem eating almost an entire pizza to myself, now I'm lucky if I even eat a full child's portion.

I don't like to reiterate on what everyone else has said, but carbs were literally the first thing to go. They just began to taste weird, very sweet and just fake, not like bread or fries should taste at all. Now I tend to favour pre-cooked pasta (so it's cool), greek salads, lots of vegetables of any description (whether they're grilled, steamed etc, they taste so good) and I'll usually have a portion of meat of some description. Padded throughout the day with lots of snacking. The snacking was something I had to get used to, you think it's not going to work, it seems counterproductive, but if you're exercising as well as snacking then it's all gravy.

But what do I know, I only went from almost 250lbs to 140lbs, and went from a size 20 to a size 8....

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Okay I know this is an older post but I had to chime in.

There is only one way to lose weight and that's calories in / calories out. Eat less than you burn through regular activity and/or exercise. It's really that simple. Carbs are not the enemy. People lose weight when they cut carbs simply because by cutting an entire macro-nutrient, you're reducing your caloric intake. The human body needs all three macro's to function properly - Carbs, fats and protein. Not just one or the other. Another problem with cutting carbs is once you go back to eating normally (introducing carbs back into your nutrition plan), the weight will creep back on. It is super important to weight and measure what you eat and drink. Every single one of my clients is shocked when they see how much they are actually consuming in a day. When someone tells me no matter what they're doing they can't seem to lose weight, my first question is "How many calories are you eating a day"? An estimate and/or guess isn't good enough. Start by logging and tracking your foods, start weighing and measuring your portions... the longer you do this the easier it becomes. Try to eliminate foods that are highly processed, replace them with whole food choices. Try to add more vegetables and other plant based foods into your diet instead. There are a million places on the web where you can set up a calorie tracker, food data-base, etc. If you don't exercise, start that too. Don't take on too much all at once... it's about small changes and consistency. If all of that sounds like too much work then you have to ask yourself how badly do you want it? What is your level of readiness to change. Healthy bodies are sculpted with proper nutrition and hard work. Discipline, consistency and developing good habits that last a lifetime. Fad diets, pills and supplements don't work. If they did, everyone would be thin.

Me - five years ago I was around a buck 90 at 5'5". I ate crap and never exercised. Today I am body-builder and a master licensed nutritionist and my current weight is 120 LBs lean. I still weigh and measure my portions and I eat a clean diet. Guess what... I eat carbs... tons of them, but about 90% of them are plant based.

Don't turn it into a big complicated science project, it doesn't have to be. If you'd like to reach out to me for support or guidance feel free.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   
In October of last year (2016) I completely cut out sugar. I eat a low carb diet and I've lost 41 pounds. Its amazing how much sugar controls our lives. Its everyone!!! If you haven't done so, completely cut it out of your life. Even if you do nothing else, just cutting sugar from diet will allow you to lose weight.

Also, I would recommend this book to anyone trying to lose weight. If you're like me someone has to tell me exactly what do and this book is amazing at doing that.

Book: "Tell me what to eat if I have diabetes" by Elaine Magee

Good luck!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join