It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is there a way to trace a person with their post???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
hey...

i just wanted to know if i could trace someone with their own post???

like, for example, a person posts something on ATS that says: "come trace me"...

how could i do this???

thanks...

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
If they wanted to be traced so bad they'de give out their IP address.

Then I'd hack 'em!

Just kidding, not really. I'm not really into the field of tracking and hacking, I just know that you need the IP address, or something.

[edit on 1/28/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
--Disclaimer. In NO WAY do I advocate tracing a person with out their consent, the following is just opinions given to the questin--End of Disclaimer
One of the members running around here, has a banner that tells your ip and your provider. The member you would want to trace, would have to have that or you would have to have admin rights to the server. if you had their email, in theory you could use some of the service offered for tracing emails,but if the person has covered the steps you would run into a dead end. The Internet is not a hdining place as a lot believe, you CAN be found, it's just takes time

[edit on 28-1-2005 by NetStorm]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
On here? No....

Their IP Address isnt readily available to members, so unless your psychic or a remote viewer, you cant.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
On here? No....

Their IP Address isnt readily available to members, so unless your psychic or a remote viewer, you cant.

what other ways are there then???

what is a remote viewer???

thanks...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
If we start getting into illegal topics here, people are going to get banned.

No, you cannot legally "trace" someone by their posts here.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
getting the MAC address would be the best, but dont ask me how to i dont hack

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I can give my address if thats the problem, no need to trace me.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
one way to stay annonamious on the internet is to go through annominous proxy servers the only down side is that it might slow ur browsing a bit but thats the price you pay foe being annomious online, i did have a site for it but i carnt remember it search google for it

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sexygeek
getting the MAC address would be the best, but dont ask me how to i dont hack

MAC addresses mean nothing, I've spoofed mine within my private Wifi network using tools that even the most braindead of chimps*cough*dubya*cough could use.

Banshee > what exacty would constitute illegal in this discussion, as I have some theories regarding this topic that would probably skate close to the borders even though its not really circumventing anything?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
nmap on *nix is a good also have a look @ phlak linux www.phlak.org

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
so...

i need the person's IP then i could use a program like IP trace to see where they live???

thanks...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
in _theory_ you could trace someone down with their IP, but chances are you would get some very skewed information. To many routers with different configurations and general snafus to get a realy effective idea of where someone is; more than likely you would get the location of their ISP (thats where traces on my IP end at
) As for nmap it does absolutely nothing in terms of tracing; its all about port scaning and derterming what version of a daemon/service is running on the target machine. NeoTrace is much better suited to 'tracing' with its spiffy graffics, but if you really want to live on the edge old fashioned traceroute via a command line is the way to go!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
yeh i dont think 1 single person could do it but the governament can they have unlimited resources look at their secret governament agencys for example

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Mods, to my knowledge this is not classified information, but if it is plz remove it.

Many sites can show the IP addresses of their users to the staff.

For example, i believe SO and other upper-staff can see the IP addresses of any posts made on this board.

Those little banners show your own information, but everyone only sees their own, so they do not have a record of who veiws it, which means they(or the tracer) would have no way of knowing your IP address.

so they see all, if you wanted to know the IP address, you would have to become a mod. (or whatever rank higher that enables you to see it)

---Pineapple

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Once you find someones IP addy you can use software like NeoTrace to track them down. If they're on a cable modem you can even get thier serial#.

Once you have someones IP addy the game is over. I use to be an abuse admin for an online gaming community and you'd be suprised at how ISP abuse admins are ready to help out fellow IT people when it comes to script kiddies messing with peoples server.

new topics

top topics

join