It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dumbing down of music

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yes, music has been dumbed down.
Yes, kids today dress like bums.
Yes, they need to stay off your lawn.

This is a widely recognized phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

By the way, your catholic monasteries didn't come into existence until the 2nd and 4th centuries.

Vitruvius and architectural order predates many of the catholic monasteries.

Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (born c. 80–70 BC, died after c. 15 BC), commonly known as Vitruvius or Vitruvi or Vitruvio, was a Roman author, architect, civil engineer and military engineer during the 1st century BC, known for his multi-volume work entitled De architectura. - Wikipedia

Read his book the 10 Books of Architecture. He even talks about how the biggest innovators throughout history will remain unknown and that their works would be stolen by others, profit off of it, and become famous and successful despite not being the source to the material.
edit on 12-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: supermilkman

I dont listen to heavy metal - you're the one using smoke n' mirrors in this thread

I mean death/black metal. Once the musician starts promoting violence then I'm not into it anymore.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

with classical order sophistication

Again you didnt look at what the definition of sophistication means otherwise you wouldn't keep coming unstuck.
This is what you said...

Classical order is sophisticated while other music is just relying on sound effects, computer editing software etc.

so computer music editing software is not modern?...and then you say this...

who applies modern day technology

Speaking of order...broaden your faith in non-classical

True Faith - New Order

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The video isn't loading but if it's glam rock then it's ok. Glam metal usually has a more positive message.

Death metal is too dark.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here is a good comparison of modern to classical music.

Though I don't think it has to do with "dumbing down music". Music has become something of background noise for many and something simple with easy lyrics to remember will do a lot for an otherwise bad song.

I do think some artists strive to be artists rather than just another "catchy tune".
Take Aesop rock for example he has a larger vocabulary than Shakespeare.

edit on 12-1-2017 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Those 10,000 hours of practice were acquired in college. If you're learning from a teacher then you are learning from someone that has studied for over 10,000 hrs in that specific field.

This is getting tiresome...you're the one stating you could be a master with 10,000 hours training.

With a background in engineering why wouldnt you build your own unique classical church, after all it only takes 10,000 hours to master anything?

That's the point. Music that deviates from classical order is dumbed down. Classical order is sophisticated while other music is just relying on sound effects, computer editing software etc.

I corrected you here...

Classical architecture usually denotes architecture which is more or less consciously derived from the principles of Greek and Roman architecture of classical antiquity, or sometimes even more specifically, from the works of Vitruvius

you responded

I already posted that in my original thread.

when in actual fact on page 1, you said, those 10 biggest churches were classical architecture even though some were of the gothic architectural period

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Japanese & Communism...hmmm

stick to listening to classical music - your starting to go off the rails

It's collectivism that is the main idea. You can call it whatever you want but its the same thing. You either have your individuals or you have team players.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

with classical order sophistication

Again you didnt look at what the definition of sophistication means otherwise you wouldn't keep coming unstuck.
This is what you said...

Classical order is sophisticated while other music is just relying on sound effects, computer editing software etc.

so computer music editing software is not modern?...and then you say this...

who applies modern day technology

Speaking of order...broaden your faith in non-classical

True Faith - New Order

Computer science is advanced mathematics.

However many of the "musicians" and their "music" isn't sophisticated.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

By the way, your catholic monasteries didn't come into existence until the 2nd and 4th centuries.

You used them to somehow strengthen your argument that nice church buildings have a certain aesthetic that makes them comparable to classical music and an undefined "order"

You bought them up at least be honest - those 10 churches you showed were not from the 2-4th century LOL

Read his book the 10 Books of Architecture

I love quality architecture - I wont spend time "philosophising" it

that their works would be stolen by others, profit off of it, and become famous and successful despite not being the source to the material.

Such is life

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

This is getting tiresome...you're the one stating you could be a master with 10,000 hours training.

Exactly. Anyone can become a master guitarist if they practice it for 10,000 hours.

Anyone can become a master computer programmer if they practice it for 10,000 hours.

Anyone can become a master chef if they practice it for 10,000 hours.

Anyone can become a master blacksmith if they practice it for 10,000 hours.

Anyone can become a master athlete if they practice it for 10,000 hours.

You WON'T be a master at anything if you don't practice any skill at all. It's common sense, quit being so mentally challenged.

With a background in engineering why wouldnt you build your own unique classical church, after all it only takes 10,000 hours to master anything?

It's called funding. I don't have the funds nor the appropriate network to do any of that. I'm barely keeping my head above water with my current financial situation. Right now I'm doing tree service work and that's just to survive.

Mind you there are people with PhD's living on the streets. There are people with degrees and returning veterans that are homeless. There are people that are working for minimun wage and are still homeless

I corrected you here...

No, you missed the entire point a long time ago. I said in one of my posts "is music that strays away from classical order less sophisticated?"

Classical architecture usually denotes architecture which is more or less consciously derived from the principles of Greek and Roman architecture of classical antiquity, or sometimes even more specifically, from the works of Vitruvius....

when in actual fact on page 1, you said, those 10 biggest churches were classical architecture even though some were of the gothic architectural period

Classical order and architectural order are one in the same. Look at my original post. I already talked about this from the beginning.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Computer science is advanced mathematics

Now your generalizing and shooting yourself in the foot again -

Are silicon substrates chemical composition/materials not engineering? Or arent PC chip design part of Computer Science in your world.

My background is in engineering

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Once again, Vitruvius' book De Architectura talks about classical order architecture. His thesis pre-dates the Catholic monasteries. The designs behind the Catholic monasteries are based off of classical order.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Theres nothing wrong in being a tree lopper or waiting or cleaning toilets - honest work is hnourable. WHat I have a problem with is pseudo intellectualism looking down on some forms of music claiming classical music is the be all end all whilst putting up videos of fast playing "technical" classical guitarists.

you state

I said in one of my posts "is music that strays away from classical order less sophisticated?

and yet in your OP your words were rather stronger wouldnt you say?
In relation to Skrillex

That is not music. That is garbage

At least own up to trying to be a nouveaux musical snob

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Now your generalizing and shooting yourself in the foot again -

Are silicon substrates chemical composition/materials not engineering? Or arent PC chip design part of Computer Science in your world.

Of course it is. It's all mathematics! Mathematics is the basic building blocks to all science. Using silicon to make semiconductors and computer microchips is a combination of MATHEMATICS and CHEMISTRY.

Computer programs and circuitry are based on mathematical algorithms and flow charts.

Here's something interesting to think about: the integrated circuit board is reminiscent to a city plan.

ICB = A city.

The "system" is seen on a cellular level to a large scale level. The microcosm is reflective of the macrocosm and vice versa.

There is a universe inside of your body just like there is one around you.

The planet Earth is a proton and the Sun is the nucleus.

We are nothing but atoms.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So if I threw up on a canvas you would consider that art?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

You consider this art?
www.google.com... AUICCgC&biw=962&bih=601#imgrc=VySlEIF5ucXLiM%3A

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I spent 4 hours in the Vatican - after 20 minutes in the Sistine Chapel absorbing the beauty I couldn't spend any more time with the statues of the emperors or even the "supposed" tomb of St Peter.

When I was twelve my family toured Germany including a few days visiting old churches and castles. What wealth, what vanity, what a waste. The churches of middle europe were the largest structures of their day, the authority of God and King was supreme. Just like it is today.

I snickered under my breath too at all the ritual and tradition, it was medieval. No wonder people got into leaky boasts and risked the crossing to what became America. They wiz tired of the endless war, religious persecution, brutal suppression of individual liberty and human rights. Hey, look where we are going now? The same road.

Are we nuts?

edit on 12-1-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

So if I threw up on a canvas you would consider that art?

"Classical" art was judged back then by its replication of real life. How is that art?

The real world is art. A sunset, ocean surf, a field of flowers, wildlife, the night sky.

The best artists were those that could draw or paint the real world the best. In a single frame perspective. They didn't know from the tech we have today. And we have become complacent about it.

We can see the Universe thru telescopes, the micro verse thru microscopes, the deepest oceans, other planets...

Film, animation, musical concerts, radio, travel anywhere by plane and car.

We have it so much better today, than in the days of horse and buggy.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You used them to somehow strengthen your argument that nice church buildings have a certain aesthetic that makes them comparable to classical music and an undefined "order"

You bought them up at least be honest - those 10 churches you showed were not from the 2-4th century LOL

Exactly. The first catholic monasteries didn't exist until the 2nd and 4th centuries. Vitruvius already wrote about architectural/classical order in his book during the late BC era. ALL of your Renaissance themed churches and monasteries are based on classical order.

I love quality architecture - I wont spend time "philosophising" it

It's not philosophising. It's called, for the millionth time, CLASSICAL ORDER GEOMETRY AND MATHEMATICS.

Such is life

Maybe so but nobody likes their ideas stolen. Especially when somebody else gets rich and famous for an idea that wasn't even theirs.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join