It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dumbing down of music

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: intrptr

The Good The Bad & the Ugly.. Ennui Morricone great stuff

I prefer 'modern' art forms, too. Did you know they used to form whole intellectual societies around a single work of art like a painting? They would meet and endlessly discuss all the nuances of that one single framed "masterpiece" hanging in a museum. One_single_frame.

Those people surely were bored off their rocker.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

Also I'm willing to bet you don't know how to play music.

If you can't play music then you don't have authority over understanding it.

I told you I played music, whether you believe it or not, meh.

Have you built any classical buildings? hmmm?

While we're at it, maybe classical architecture is better designed than a lot of our contemporary architecture?

So shoes on the other foot...by the way seeing you need enlightenment..those churches post date the classical architecture period
defn
en.wikipedia.org...

Classical architecture usually denotes architecture which is more or less consciously derived from the principles of Greek and Roman architecture of classical antiquity, or sometimes even more specifically, from the works of Vitruvius.

Your teachers teach you how to be well rounded in many subjects.

But who needs teachers when according to you all it takes is 10,000 hours to master anything. When it comes to becoming a "master" of music did you even stop to consider how little 10,000 hours of practise are? No, you just like to throw out any old text as in your...

Classical order is sophisticated while other music is just relying on sound effects, computer editing software etc.

You completely ignored that the digital music that your holy classics are recorded in is "Digital Processing"

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I dont listen to heavy metal - you're the one using smoke n' mirrors in this thread

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes, and I dont begrudge them their interest. Each to their own. I spent 4 hours in the Vatican - after 20 minutes in the Sistine Chapel absorbing the beauty I couldn't spend any more time with the statues of the emperors or even the "supposed" tomb of St Peter.

I dont get poetry and yet I play music and compose tunes and love lyrics in songs. Go figure

I spent some time reading some of Prousts "In Search of Lost Time", when I was in high school. I would be bored by it now.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Is this considered heavy metal or Glam rock?
Either way I like this - its addictive

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Calling certain scales the "devil" doesn't make sense to me

I suspect you haven't studied or played music yourself.

You're the one who introduced the devil;

They also come off devilish

You missed the point of what I'm trying to say that namely the Devils Tri-tone can be used in beautiful melody.

Yeah what's your point? The flatted fifth is just one of hundreds of different scales. Most beginner guitarists learn the pentatonic and blue scales.

I never believed there was a devil. I do believe that many musicians are overrated.
edit on 12-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Modern music is total cr**. I'm a musician and strive to write/produce quality electronic music.

I can't stand the repetition and such of today's music.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I still think classical order music is sophisticated.

And yet you wrote this thread? Sounds like you change rose coloured glasses too quickly

"Does Communism make people more disciplined?"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Western countries have more freedom of expression but less discipline....

More individuality = less discipline
Less individuality = more discipline?

I really have to question your sincerity...

Last time I checked a symphony is performed with multiple musicians playing in unison. Communism is another word for collectivism. They are all collectively playing music and following sheet music. Each musician and composer has a role to play specific notes at certain times.

Your symphonic musicians understand they're not always in the lime light and some will play lesser parts. Many play subtle background music and understand they're a small part to a bigger whole.

Communism is collective, which you can see in musical acts. Sophistication is measured in dynamicness. Some musical groups are incredibly dynamic and others are just a waste of time (i.e. every punk teenage rock band ever made.)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

More examples on how communism makes people more disciplined.

Japanese precision marching

Marine Corps silent drill

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The themes to death metal comes off as devilish. Dark themes that promotes hate and violence is malicious. Not all metal is necessarily dark however.

Whitesnake - Still of the Night

Def Leppard - Bringing on the Heartbreak

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

is timeless because of its inherent simplicity

How is the Mona Lisa simple? It's sophisticated. Sure it's simple in that it's just a painting of a woman but actually painting the Mona Lisa is difficult.

So using this hard and fast rule given 10,000 hours you should be able to paint the Mona Lisa yourself

Yes, if I practiced long enough I could draw the Mona Lisa. However it would take years of practice and refinement to ever accomplish it. I know that I will more than likely never be good enough to paint anything like it.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Dubstep is probably the worse. I don't know why it got so popular but it's honestly annoying.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Classical order is a style of music based on keys, intervals, modes etc. The music ultimately tells a story, like an epic.

Thats your subjective preference. I noticed you left out the 'beat'. I prefer a beat. I'm also visually oriented. I want to put my classical music to something. It has to carry me somewhere, engage me, tell me a story.

Most orchestra classics written back when were developed by the Masters for Theatre Plays and Opera. I prefer the modern alternative, so much more "sophisticated" than romping round a stage in tights. In fact, pure Cinematic genius. Until you do as well, you should hold your tongue.

Classical order music is based off architectural order. It is based off of ionic, corinthian, and doric order.

Even the soundtracks from the movies you posted are using classical music.

Don't you understand what classical order even means? I posted the wikipedia on it.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Dont go - where else can you post a 10 min video of a Chinese army marching and solve moral dilemmas about Communism?

So what do you think? More individuality = less discipline
Less individuality = more discipline

Stay - it's fun

I posted videos showing that communism makes people more disciplined. You're implying that I think it's bad because you were more than likely raised thinking communism is bad. Personally I think every monetary/political system is roughly the same.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Yes, the tech and science has evolved. How they're used by the user varies from person to person. I'd say that a person who applies modern day technology with classical order sophistication in their works would be mind-blowing.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Then it would not be heavy metal. You do not like it so you do not understand it..I'm an audiophile and find something I like in pretty much everything..country is a tough one for me though.

I understand that a lot of heavy metal music is disturbing. So is rap music. Sorry but I have a filter.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Yeah, classical music is epic. Other music not so much.

In the context that you decried anything non-classical as being "simple" I really think you are deliberately going out of your way to pretend you dont know what I am saying.

Because it is simple. Simpl-er might be a better word.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Another example of classical order music. Notice how technical it is? That's a sign of talent and true musicianship.

Cacophony - Concerto

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I told you I played music, whether you believe it or not, meh.

Ok, I was wrong about you playing music.

Have you built any classical buildings? hmmm?

My background is in engineering. I've taken courses in drafting, engineering design and development, welding, home maintenance, metals technology, robotic computer programming (even built a Rube goldberg before), and digital electronics.

I have worked on demolition projects, landscaping, excavation, I've loaded up Army convoys, done fiber optic cabling, HVAC, concrete tile production, was a pipe fitter for the Union, trash service, was a waiter, worked in call centers, had other jobs that I can't remember at the top of my head (nor want to talk about.)

A fantasy of mine is eventually getting back into engineering design and development but I have to pay back student debt before I can go back to school again. For now I'm using drafting programs that I downloaded from the app store.

So shoes on the other foot...by the way seeing you need enlightenment..those churches post date the classical architecture period
defn
en.wikipedia.org...

Classical architecture usually denotes architecture which is more or less consciously derived from the principles of Greek and Roman architecture of classical antiquity, or sometimes even more specifically, from the works of Vitruvius.

I already posted that in my original thread. In fact I had an entirely different thread talking about the Ten Books of Architecture by Vitruvius. The thread was removed because I mentioned how I saw the Vitruvian man while I was under the influence of dextromethorphan.

Since the website doesn't allow me to talk about narcotics my earlier thread was removed.

So you're not telling me anything that I already didn't know.

But who needs teachers when according to you all it takes is 10,000 hours to master anything. When it comes to becoming a "master" of music did you even stop to consider how little 10,000 hours of practise are? No, you just like to throw out any old text as in your...

Use your brain genius. Teachers ARE masters. All public school teachers have college diplomas and degrees.

If you have a math teacher then he/she is a master at mathematics because they earned their degree in mathematics.

Those 10,000 hours of practice were acquired in college. If you're learning from a teacher then you are learning from someone that has studied for over 10,000 hrs in that specific field.

To become the master you must follow the master.

You completely ignored that the digital music that your holy classics are recorded in is "Digital Processing"

Yeah and even a lot of my favorite trance music is still not as complex as classical music. Nevertheless, classical order music can be translated with modern day equipment however many soley rely on sound effects to boost their sound.

Many use sound effects instead of actual music theory and composition to write music. Fact!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Japanese & Communism...hmmm

stick to listening to classical music - your starting to go off the rails

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join