It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dumbing down of music

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

I'll go one better

El Condor Pasa

Here's an abstract thought: playing single notes = individuality. playing chords = communism?

"Concrete" opposite to "abstract"

Concrete Music - enjoy

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

from your own quote

and it raises certain expectations in an audience attuned to its language.

"audience attuned to it's language" Are you trying to tell me you were born enjoying classical music. I would guess that you were indirectly listening to some pop tunes that your parents radio was playing at the time. Classical music you acquired later?

Philip Glass does classical music ..not to everyones taste. I admire him for his work

Nowextend your musical taste and listen to some fine "technically proficient" musicians
King Crimson - Red

We are here to create minds, not careers.

The brain is always going through a constant state of neuroplasticity. Our values, intelligence, and ideals are always constantly changing.

Enlightenment is a life long journey of learning. I think part of learning requires reaching milestones and learning other things. Even musicians try out new sounds and styles of music. If they didn't their critics would complain their music always sound the same.

And Philip Glass is talented. Anyone that can write a symphony is TALENTED. I think his symphony is actually more impressive than King Crimson's work. King Crimson is still ok. They're like a jazz-progressive rock band. Prog rock is actually very similar to jazz music.

My advise: look to the past. When you find the answers from the past, proceed forward.

edit on 12-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I'll go one better

El Condor Pasa

Cool video.

"Concrete" opposite to "abstract"

Concrete Music - enjoy

No man is an island?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

You carefully avoided committing to the post.

deviates from classical order is more simplified

Without simple music there would be no "classical music"

but I think we can all agree that the more technical and sophisticated the art is the better. Anyone can draw a stick figure, not everyone can draw the Mona Lisa.

How is the Mona Lisa "technical". You're moving the goalposts. Speaking of technical if you play the guitar can you fix a broken neck?
I can open my synthesiser and replace some chips or in my analogs retune my oscillators,do some soldering; that doesnt mean I am a proficient keyboard player although I know subtractive synthesis very well.

What has painting the Mona Lisa have to do with Music? Would Goya be able to copy the Mona Lisa? If anything the Mona Lisa is timeless because of its inherent simplicity not its "technical" attributes.

How stupid is me saying Da Vinci was a great painter but he never wrote music - therefore he lacked sophistication!

www.themusiconomy.com...

We even have a few manuscripts that contain some original musical compositions that still exist today. It is believed that Da Vinci probably had written more music but it was never found.

I asked the following and you have yet to commit...why is that?

was there ever a time that you didnt like Nights In White Satin, maybe like after a relationship breakup? Are you trying to tell me that "Nights" evokes the same emotional investment from your soul each and everytime you listen to it? Better yet would expect to hear Albinonis Adagio in G Min at your own wedding

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

That's still ingenious though. Sound engineering isn't easy.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Speedcore is the best music.

Speedcore is the greatest music.

Soon, Speedcore will be the only music.

There will be no escape.

edit on 12-1-2017 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Without simple music there would be no "classical music"

I agree. We're here to create minds, not careers. Classical music is the end result of musical mastery. Funny how classical musicians existed for over hundreds of years but seem less popular.

How is the Mona Lisa "technical". You're moving the goalposts. Speaking of technical if you play the guitar can you fix a broken neck?
I can open my synthesiser and replace some chips or in my analogs retune my oscillators,do some soldering; that doesnt mean I am a proficient keyboard player although I know subtractive synthesis very well.

Mona Lisa is a art form based on mathematics (geometry) just like music is a art form based on mathematics. Anyone can draw a stick figure, not too many people can draw the Mona Lisa.

And I don't own a guitar right now but I have worked on them before. Re-stringing them, fixing the intonation, tuning them by ear. I learned all of it on my own years ago by doing google searches. It takes 10,000 hours to become a master at a skill. If you practice over and over again at something you eventually become a master at it, including soldering or working on keyboards.

What has painting the Mona Lisa have to do with Music? Would Goya be able to copy the Mona Lisa? If anything the Mona Lisa is timeless because of its inherent simplicity not its "technical" attributes.

You say the Mona Lisa is simple? Ok, go ahead and paint a copy of one. I still say that the Mona Lisa is an example of mathematics because the human body and face is based off of geometrical shapes. Unlike a stick figure which is just simple circles and lines the Mona Lisa is advanced.

How stupid is me saying Da Vinci was a great painter but he never wrote music - therefore he lacked sophistication!

www.themusiconomy.com...

We even have a few manuscripts that contain some original musical compositions that still exist today. It is believed that Da Vinci probably had written more music but it was never found.

Da Vinci was a polymath. He knew music as well as many other trades.

I asked the following and you have yet to commit...why is that?

I'm not a lovey-dovey type. I've had my relations but I don't get attached to be honest. I like Nights in White Satin mostly because of the music, not because of past experiences. Romance is overrated and I don't want to bare children into a world where they would have to suffer anyways.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
music is largely dictated by its audience. the "artists" make what the people demand. instead of music being an art to interpret its become a product. so id say people are getting dumber and the music is just imitating life.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason
music is largely dictated by its audience. the "artists" make what the people demand. instead of music being an art to interpret its become a product. so id say people are getting dumber and the music is just imitating life.

Yeah it's supply and demand. People sometimes have weird demands though.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

We are here to create minds, not careers.

You dont create a mind - you leave a mind open to influence and inspiration if you want to progress musically.

I wasnt comparing Philip Glass to King Crimson; I asked you to see if you could appreciate it.

They're like a jazz-progressive rock band. Prog rock is actually very similar to jazz music

Their earlier years were symphonic prog then more jazz inspired "fusion/rock/experimental"
My advice - dont be like an oak be like a willow,dont be rigid, try to appreciate other forms of music, you may learn to enjoy.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You say the Mona Lisa is simple? Ok, go ahead and paint a copy of one.

dont change the meaning of my words, this is what I said,

is timeless because of its inherent simplicity

It takes 10,000 hours to become a master at a skill.

So using this hard and fast rule given 10,000 hours you should be able to paint the Mona Lisa yourself

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

You dont create a mind - you leave a mind open to influence and inspiration if you want to progress musically.

I wasnt comparing Philip Glass to King Crimson; I asked you to see if you could appreciate it.

King Crimson is good but there's a fine line with being selfish. As a guitarist I know musicians tend to be self-centered and neglect other aspects in their life. The world revolves around industry but if the musican only does music then they are not well rounded.

Playing music is ultimately not going to put food on the table. Especially nowadays when you can find professional musicians a dime a dozen. Music is great but they don't offer anything tangible. It's just a hobby.

Their earlier years were symphonic prog then more jazz inspired "fusion/rock/experimental"
My advice - dont be like an oak be like a willow,dont be rigid, try to appreciate other forms of music, you may learn to enjoy.

Change the sound effects and you'll find that jazz and prog rock is basically the same. I still appreciate the music. King Crimson and Rush are good prog rock bands but my life doesn't revolve them. If you only focus on one thing you miss out on other things in your life.

Also I'm more rigid now because I have more of a filter. Really don't want to deal with too much drama anymore. Due to having trust issues I'm kind of a hermit.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Not sure how the OP relates to the terminology "dumbing down" but I guess the effect of music on human society wasn't meant. In the end it all depends on what messages you feed your mind anyway (and to what type of messages you are more receptive), and that's all up to the individual:

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AVoiceOfReason

Lazier not dumber perhaps? Easier to create another whiney RnB or pulp pop tune. I use my fingers to change stations or my playlist. I would also suggest that peoples "facebook" instant gratification impulse doesn't allow them the time it takes to actually listen or appreciate art or music.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I am not going to bother with the rest of your post except this...

If you only focus on one thing you miss out on other things in your life.

This is what I have been trying to get you to see when you tried to sound philosophical and bombastic about classical music and architecture.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Long story short: classical music is more dynamic. Doesn't mean other music isn't good though.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yeah and some musicians should focus on other things besides just music. If you're always eating junk food then it's probably time to lay off the extra calories and starting exercising.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Not sure how the OP relates to the terminology "dumbing down" but I guess the effect of music on human society wasn't meant. In the end it all depends on what messages you feed your mind anyway

This is not a Jehovah Witness religious thread - speaking of the mind - open your mind

www.thewarfareismental.net...

2) Second, Charles Taze Russell was a proven perjurer. In June of 1912, Rev. J.J. Ross of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, published a denunciatory pamphlet about Russell entitled, Some Facts About the Self-styled “pastor” Charles T. Russell. Russell in turn sued Ross for libel. During the trial which took place the following year, Ross’s defense attorney asked Russell if he knew the Greek alphabet. Russell’s reply was “Oh, yes.” When further asked to identify the Greek letters at the top of a page of the Greek Testament handed him, he was unable to do so, finally admitting that he knew nothing of the Greek alphabet.

keep those propaganda JW videos in the faith forums

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If it were up to me id rather listen to songs composed with traditional harmony and old school jazz harmony. Cant be bothered with 99 percent of modern pop music which in my opinion is dumbed down.

As for skrillex. I agree with epic rap battles hes just a guy whos good at pushing a spacebar.

The first time i heard skrillex i thought i was listening to two guys having a puking contest moderated bu R2-D2.

Guy#1: BAAAAAAAAARF!!!!

Guy#2: Barf! Barf! Barf Barf!..Barf! Barf!

Guy#1: BAAAAAARF!!!!

Guy#2: Barf! Barf! Barf! Barf!!...Barf Barf!!

R2-D2: beee beep boop boooooo!!!!
(Number two is the winner)

Guy#2: Barf! Barf! Barf! Barf!...Barf! Barf!

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I dont disagree, makes sense. Of course a musician must feed themselves. Unfortunately as you said earlier it is a hobby for most not a career.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join