It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

'White people challenging racism' classes to be held--Everyone is welcome

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I think I would pass on this particular class. With white privilege already in the mix of the class description, a white person would have to include the instructors along with the other "students" as ill informed.

I would avoid it all costs. The instructors, by the course discretion, already have their minds made up. I would think any person that wasn't white would read what the class covers and have their mind made up. Seem that if would be a bitch fest at anyone who is meets the criteria for white privilege.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I don't think that talking about it is going to do any good. The people who go to things like this are already aware.

Ignoring it is worst, there is no reason why a millennial Black ,White, Asian,Hispanic should be racist, but they pick it up from somewhere, or else we wouldn't have A Dylann Roof or the young people in Chicago that kidnapped and torture that handicapped white youngster.
And yes I know many, perhaps most here do not believe that Institutional Racism or White privilege is a thing, saying it ain't so won't make it go away , and no it's does mean because you don't have 2.5 Billion like Robert F. Smith or whatever Oprah have in her purse mean everything is Ok, strip them of all that $$$$ and take away their stuff and name value and they are wide open for all kind of abuse covert and overt.
edit on 11-1-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The problem I see with the notion of "institutional" racism is that the only possible way to remove it is to send someone to country that is majority his or her skin color or ethnicity.

How racist is that?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Your comments make the assumption that privilege and institutional exist, and it is a settled consensus. It isn't.

We all know that there are companies that are still operating that for sure, 100%, paper work exists, that took place in slavery. What are we going to do? Seriously that is a question.

White privilege is a term that is nebulous and is hard to grab onto. It is a loaded statement, like asking someone if they enjoyed killing so and so. By asking someone that question it is a for gone conclusion that the murder has been proven and now we want to know if you enjoyed it.

Holding someone else responsible for someone else's actions will never ever work. People that are alive today did not have anything to do with yester years racism. Just like people alive today were not in bondage.

Is this a matter of getting us even with them?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
There will probably be a lot of white liberal women there...where is this class? I need to go there to provide....support.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It is to focus on the role white people can play in dismantling racism.

And the irony is............no white person with a brain will attend.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

There's something you don't get.

Most normal white people aren't racist and they aren't interested in being told repeatedly that they are racist. As to institutional racism, white people don't see it and those who understand the concept really don't give a crap.

Generally speaking, where white people are concerned, they just don't care. They're too busy trying to make a buck in a difficult economy.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

There's something you don't get.

Most normal white people aren't racist and they aren't interested in being told repeatedly that they are racist. As to institutional racism, white people don't see it and those who understand the concept really don't give a crap.

Generally speaking, where white people are concerned, they just don't care. They're too busy trying to make a buck in a difficult economy.

And here in lay part of the problem, hear no evil see no evil speak no evil attitude just ignore it and it will disappear, lemme ask you guys this, what was the date white privilege or institutional racism disappear , was it 1954,1964 ,1974 1984??.. but let me tell you what it is not, it is does not mean that white people are living the high life never broke and don't have problems, what it is, is a set of assumption about blacks that white folks generally do not have, others are affected also but it seems to affect Black folks more acutely , Ok ignore it all you want, but our kids and grand kids will be having the same conversation 50 to 100yrs from now, and really you do not walk in another man's shoes and tell him is experience is not real.

I posted the anecdote sometime back, about when we were early teens, we were a bunch of mixed kids from different back grounds that were into building radios, we didn't have the funds to buy some of the parts, so one of our crew a white dude, suggested we boosted it from Radio Shack, and another kid also white but of the Italian persuasion made the follow up suggestion that three of them all white, should go in and do the boosting, the rest of the of us Black/Brown kids hang back, the reason being is that we would draw eyes to ourselves and have a greater chance of being caught, they being white would typically be ignored and allowed to boost the hell out of the store, brilliant use of white privilege to benefit the whole, off course there was never any word for it, but even as early teens we understood the concept behind it.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Again, I ask you ... how do we remove this?

The assumption behind this belief in "institutional racism" is that the system is against you because it was always racist because white people made the system.

If that's the case, then the only possible remedy I see if for you to either completely tear up the system and remake it ... into what no one ever says ... and by whom no one ever says either which makes me highly suspicious of the whole notion --or-- for all blacks who think is the case to move to a country where the system is made and run predominantly by other blacks. And yet, no one clamors for that. Why?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Moving away is an option, but most Blacks are deep rooted in the America, they argue that a lot of their blood sweat and tears is mixed into the soil before 1776 till present.
How do we fix it??..well acknowledging it is a start, one cannot fix anything if one thinks there is nothing to fix, and it's not even about creating more laws or any such thing, we have all the laws necessary.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
Moving away is an option, but most Blacks are deep rooted in the America, they argue that a lot of their blood sweat and tears is mixed into the soil before 1776 till present.
How do we fix it??..well acknowledging it is a start, one cannot fix anything if one thinks there is nothing to fix, and it's not even about creating more laws or any such thing, we have all the laws necessary.

If we have the laws, then follow then would be a start.

Stop claiming they're racist because they were made by old, dead white men.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I got the first part but I don't get the highlighted part,
The laws I am talking about were laws put in place to stem institutional racism, yes most of them are old , a lot of them dead, and some are non white and non male.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Most non-racist whitefolk have to walk on eggshells lest they say something in the least critical of the minority culture. I know I do.

I wonder if my trajectory through this is common. I once closely resembled the "SJW". I never acted like some of the college-age people you see today, but the vitriol in my mind could be just a real. Life went on, I grew up, had a daughter, and for whatever reason(s) the way I perceived the world and reacted to it changed.

I'm not rich. I now live in a borderline poor neighborhood. It's mixed racially and indeed provides (probably) a pretty good cross-section of the national demographic. White, brown, yellow, black, red, mixed race families...you get the point. Here's the thing: I have observed with my own eyes that when there are problems in the neighborhood, those problems are usually traced back to the black households, which happen to be section 8 housing. Simply put, the parents are not doing their jobs. This includes theft, damage to property, police contact, etc.

It's easy to see how racism survives, but it's sad as all hell. It just doesn't have to be the way it is. Mean old "white guy" that I am, I don't force black parents to destroy their childrens' chances at a future.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I got the first part but I don't get the highlighted part,
The laws I am talking about were laws put in place to stem institutional racism, yes most of them are old , a lot of them dead, and some are non white and non male.

The idea of institutional racism and white privilege stem from critical race theory.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I understand what your saying and to an extent, I agree. I have actually done quite a bit of study on the institutional racism and white privilege topics and from my experience, I can state that they do, to an extent, exist.

There's an odd paradox going on with this topic, actually, quite a few of them, but the central problems are that 1) US Whites have had 400 years to accumulate wealth and property and to make ginormous Banks and Corporations, Stock Markets, the whole bit. All that wealth and power accumulation means that successive generations of whites get the best access to the best educations and the wheel keeps turning. We can "equalize" everything until the cows come home and it would take 400 years for the black population to catch up. The paradox for blacks is, the US can make everything equal, color blind, etc., but the blacks are...........still black, and worse, they know it. And they know that disadvantages them in the business place, the mortgage market, educational opportunity, etc. As one Black commentator noted...........as long as there are white people in the US, there will always be "white privilege" and black resentment. He's correct.

So, yea, you're correct..........ignore the problem, (and most whites do because they know there's nothing they can do to fix it) and this problem will be around for the grand-kids for the next 100~400 years.......if they're in the US. There are 5 families who are friends of our family. 2 of those 5 families have kids looking to leave the country for College and/or high school/college. One family is going to Canada with their two white daughters, another is sending their daughter to the Sorbonne in Paris.

They'll never return. So...............there's some hope! And from these families, I've learned the same thing! And they are "young" families, Generation X. And what I've learned is that their parents lived their entire lives through this racial turmoil and their kids, now in the thirties, (our friends), have lived their entire lives through this racial mess and the truth is, they aren't so much ignoring it as they are purely and simply fed up with it. They're fed up with the incessant backdrop of racist/race rhetoric. They're fed up with not being able to go to a restaurant without worrying that someone will spit in their food. They are, DONE! You can only harangue on someone for so long before they finally stand up and walk away!

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
Way I've always loooked at it is the black community is going through blowback. Blowback is a term I learned from Ron Paul. He used the term to describe the longterm shockwave created by continued proxy wars, wars and interventionist policies. For example, the regime change in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom left a power vacuum and some believe ISIS was one of its children. So the affects of an action can last long after the action itself is over.

So what happened was continued sanctioned racism ending withl the civil rights movement--the 1960's approximately--did not mean the negative effects were over. Desegregation and equal opportunity didn't make all of history go away conveniently. It's hard to get out of poverty. A lot of blacks were poor, versus whites. They were poor precisely because of past racism. When you're poor, it's hard to become college educated. Most poor people stay poor over generations. So even after the civil rights movement, blacks were starting out disadvantaged. They're STILL suffering from this even today. Example: A white household has about ten times more--or more yet--total wealth.

If they're still suffering today, shouldn't white people owe it to them to help them? WE'RE responsible for the blowback, along with others who assisted in the segregation and discrimination of blacks.

(*) - www.forbes.com - The Racial Wealth Gap: Why A Typical White Household Has 16 Times The Wealth Of A Black One...
edit on 1/11/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Here's the thing:

Poverty is a learned behavior. But I don't owe you a darn thing. And what's more, I cannot give you enough to erase that culture.

Give someone with the culture of poverty enough money to not live in poverty and it won't matter. The behaviors of someone in poverty will practically ensure that they will end up back in poverty. People in poverty do not make smart decisions with their money and resources. They make poverty choices with them, and until and unless they are ready and willing to unlearn that culture and learn a new one, they will be stuck with poverty pretty much forever.

All of the endless social programs designed to keep people out of poverty haven't really helped either because all of those programs are carefully managed for you. You learn NOTHING about how to manage your life or your resources from those programs. Your rent is managed. Your utilities are managed. You food assistance is managed.

I can live with helping people, but until and unless those people want to genuinely help themselves so that they do not need to be continually helped by doing their own learning so that they don't need continuous handouts and support, I can give and give and give and it won't do any good. And the children of poverty, learn poverty themselves.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

I'm an "old" white guy who isn't "rich" either. I was forced into early retirement, (with a package, thankfully), but I prepared for retirement by moving to a very remote small town in the country. Population, 708. Blacks.........1. He teaches at the local elementary school.

Like you, for the most part, I feel bad for the plight of the blacks in the US cities.

I did a lot of historical research into the matter and made an absolutely amazing discovery! In the "city" I was researching, I discovered to may amazement, that back in the 1920's~1950's, there was a LARGE AND THRIVING Black middle class. In those days, segregation was still in place, "apartheid" if you will. As a result, all black people lived in their side of town. In that district, there were Black owned Grocery stores, Black owned Retail stores, Black owned Banks, Black owned barber and beauty shops, Black Doctors, Black owned Drug Stores and Toy stores and......you name it! I found a whole bunch of photographs from back in the day of their district and it was bustling and profitable. Their schools may not have had as much money as the white schools, but in that particular city, they even had a Black University.

Then came the school desegregation in the 1950's and the 1964 Civil rights act and BAM, the Black middle class business owners saw their business interests destroyed and they shuffled off in poverty to the housing projects.

Desegregation needed to be done, but I've always pondered on whether or not, in reality, it wasn't done all wrong.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Desegregation created poverty because they abandoned their communities and then the Great Society welfare state destroyed their family structure in the quest to abolish the poverty created by the desegregation.

It seems like we "helped" them right out of everything that made life worth living. Thanks, government.
edit on 11-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

do we fix it??..well acknowledging it is a start, one cannot fix anything if one thinks there is nothing to fix, and it's not even about creating more laws or any such thing, we have all the laws necessary. Text

Got news for everyone, talking isn't going to solve anything.

The only thing this boils down to is money. MONEY. It's always about money, always. Giving someone money isn't going to undo anything, but it makes life easier.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join