It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White people challenging racism' classes to be held--Everyone is welcome

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder how or what is going to be taught? Seems like the class going over white privilege and institutional racism would not be a good time. But maybe I have to wrong idea about the content. Everyone is welcome.

People of all heritages/identities are welcome to attend sessions that focus on the role of white people in dismantling racism and building a just society.
Co-facilitators are Jane Allen and Beth Hampson. Suggested donation is $75. Scholarships available and all are welcome.
melrose.wickedlocal.com...
White privilege, institutional racism and how lack of awareness perpetuate racism. Personal experiences will be talked about, videos, and readings will be discussed. Then let's roll play and practice ways to speak up and develop an action plan to challenge racism. This class encourages learning is a safe setting and all are encouraged to build a movement to bring together needed change in our society.

The class will examine the institutionalization of racism and impact of white privilege, and how lack of awareness perpetuates racism. Readings will be discussed, videos will be shown, and everyday situations will be shared by people who want to become more effective in naming and addressing racism in families, communities and places of work. Role-play will be used to practice effective ways to speak up and develop action plans that challenge racism in spheres of influence. The class encourages learning in a safe setting and all participants are encouraged to find allies to join in building a movement to bring needed change in our society.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Maybe I can start a course on Institutional Stupidity and Perceived Entitlement.

We would discuss how it's rotted the minds of the young and gullible. Leading to worthless lazy generations who can't even be bothered to go out and vote to ensure "their generation's Hitler" doesn't become president.

We would also cover how rioting looting and throwing temper tantrums doesn't accomplish anything in the grown up world.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Who is their generations Hitler?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Isn't undermining personal liberty and responsibility part of the problem, along with indoctrinating young blacks with a blanket mindset of victimhood and young whites with a blanket mindset of unearned privilege?

Born in the 80s, a lot of what I heard in school over and over again growing up was "prejudice is wrong, racism is wrong, don't judge other people, be nice". Not to mention that my parents were good role models where race relations are concerned. That was good enough for me, and I am respectful toward everyone I meet - regardless of the fact that the vast majority of the experiences I've had in my life with black people have been negative. Sad but true.

Now I should take a class on how privileged I am? Christ, this stuff only goes skin deep. I'm part native with tribal involvement, but I look like a "white guy". My tribal ancestors were considered "worse than blacks" and given a seriously raw #ing deal far beyond what the blacks as a whole have gotten, and guess what? The tribe is still picking itself up, and has issues, but have also started numerous tribal enterprises, applied for and received federal recognition, and is generally doing great. More and more young people in the tribe are getting educated and building great futures for themselves. Not only that, but taking active involvement in tribal politics - my cousin just became the chairperson.

All this division could be annihilated in a single generation, but this narrative of white privilege, white fragility, and so on is only meant to further divide. But what do I know? I'm just a privileged white man.
edit on 10/1/2017 by MiddleInitial because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Who is their generations Hitler?

Oh pleeeease.
As much as I see you in these political/social threads I don't think that has to be spelled out for you.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

I don't ask because I know.

I would like your opinion, because to compare someone to Hitler is usually a sign of emotion not logic.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I don't think discussion is a bad thing if the class is inclusive. This sounds more like the rational way to do it Instead of the courses that immediately alienate whites like the white privilege course.

If somebody wants to discuss how whites can help stop racism that's good. It sounds like a good opportunity for some white people to say, yes, it is offensive when I get labeled as a racist for the color of my skin and how can anti-racism become less about anti-white. Of course how the course is administered will make a big difference in how productive it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I don't think that talking about it is going to do any good. The people who go to things like this are already aware.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech

Yup!

If he were black, the cops would remove him from that bench.

But, being white, he gets to exercise his white freedom, to be where he want's to be.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

How about we teach about White Liberal Racism. One of the problems with the SJWs is that they never acknowledge racism coming from so called liberals. Look at Hillary Clinton's relationship with the Black Community for example.

edit on 1/10/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Hahahaha hahahaha.. my thoughts exactly!!! However, I doubt that class will ever be taught since someone's feelings might get hurt.

Your comment was perfect!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

liberals can't believe that the world has a more than their little view. And if you dare to have a different opinion in their presence, the name calling starts because it is all emotion to liberals very little logic.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I don't think that talking about it is going to do any good. The people who go to things like this are already aware.

Well, maybe we should just shut down discussion because of preconceived notions of failure.

Do you really think this course isn't a step in the right direction rather than white privilege courses? I think we should encourage steps in the right direction. If somebody with an alternative view, like you or I went, it could actually help.

Many of these indoctrinated people would really benefit from a rational opinion. They've been indoctrinated to think white=racist. They need input to think otherwise... the white devil needs to be humanized to them because, as it is, white is demonized.

This is a step in the right direction. We need many more, but it's a step.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

you first

I have been to college classes where male/female roles were discussed. A 19ish year old 120ish pound young women was convinced that the average women was as strong as the average man. To the point of tears. This could be a good idea, but there is a greater chance of it being a bad one.
edit on 10-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Evidently no one told them theres no longer a need for political commisars now that comrade obama been deposed .

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

those same students will be the ones graduating with 60k in debt for a BS degree in BS itself.

Than wonder why they cant find a decent paying job despite getting their double BS degree .

Finally they will blame everyone but themselves for their bad decision to major in a bs field . followed by the "paying for an education is overrated"

:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Maybe, this 20 years ago, still had some good jobs out there. I still can't believe how stupid those students were. And this class that is offered sounds like a hot mess and I would stay far away from that clown show.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

you first

I have been to college classes where male/female roles were discussed. A 19ish year old 120ish pound young women was convinced that the average women was as strong as the average man. To the point of tears. This could be a good idea, but there is a greater chance of it being a bad one.

I don't disagree. As I said in the first post... if the course was administered poorly it would be a complete unproductive mess. At some point we have to make a small leap of faith and hope for change.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
no thanks...... racism doesn't exist in my mind only the minds of others who are insecure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join