It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 A-10s get Sandy mission back

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

The Hogs were and are perfect for the Sandy role. You want something that can loiter, can go in with a huge weapons load, and likes to be low.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: BASSPLYR

The Hogs were and are perfect for the Sandy role. You want something that can loiter, can go in with a huge weapons load, and likes to be low.

Not to mention they're tough as nails. Saw a cowling at AirZoo from the Michigan national guard that got shredded by a SAM. The aircraft still made it back to base and landed safely.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And slow enough to self spot. That was one of the big advantages of the Sandy over other fast movers of the time, they didn't zip over the target area to fast to know what needed to be dropped where.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The president doesn't make decisions on what gets retired and what doesn't. The Air Force makes those decisions and goes to Congress. I know it's cool or something to blame Obama for everything, but that has no place in this thread.

Come on, he shuffled the brass to favor his agenda, seem to recall lots of early retirements on his watch.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The Air Force has been trying to get rid of the A-10 for as long as I can remember. Since long before Obama was ever heard of.

As for shuffling, every President has shuffled brass around. It's at their discretion. Again, this isn't about politics, it's about the A-10 getting a mission back.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Donkey09
a reply to: Zaphod58

And slow enough to self spot. That was one of the big advantages of the Sandy over other fast movers of the time, they didn't zip over the target area to fast to know what needed to be dropped where.

You hit the nail on the head there. When the honchos sitting at their comfy desks decided to go to "an all jet Air Force," they gave our Skyraiders to the Thai and South Vietnam Air Forces and transitioned all of us into F-4s. I wanted my A-1 back. If I had to drop napalm 300 meters from the good guys, I'd rather do it at 190 knots than 430. At 430 knots you cover 725 feet in one second. And the J-79 didn't exactly respond instantly to thrust lever application. The F-4 outclassed all the Migs, except maybe the 21, in speed and vertical capability but as a SAR or CAS roles it was a pig. You never had enough fuel and one bb in the hydraulics and you were a POW if you were on the wrong side of the Mekong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join