It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 A-10s get Sandy mission back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The Air Force has upgraded 16 Davis-Monthan A-10s, bringing back the Sandy mission. Sandy was the callsign used, especially by the Skyraiders in Vietnam, for aircraft flying Combat Search and Rescue missions. The Sandy aircraft were the ones flying cover for the helicopters that performed the actual rescue.

The upgrade includes an upgraded communications system, that allows both voice and text communications to downed aircrew, JTACs, and other ground forces. It also automatically updates GPS coordinates for aircrew members.

www.aviationpros.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Thanks zaph for the update. It's so nice to see these birds still in the sky. So simple yet devastating. I have always loved th A-10. This made my night thank you.

S+F

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Sounds like a logical move and a good solution. I hope they are never needed but then that a big wish.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
A10s area as close as they've got to something similar to the old A1s back then. Able to loiter with a large mixed load of heavy ordinance and able to get rounds on the target with accuracy and quickly. Seems like a good fit for the old girl.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Donkey09

They had the Sandy mission along with the Airborne FAC mission for years (OA-10). Now they're moving back to dedicated CSAR so they're getting it back.
edit on 1/10/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be great to see another production run of the A10?

No upgrades ... no muss ... no fuss. Just a simple run of 10,000 new birds.

You've got a lot more than just capability. You've got 10,000 new pilots and everything that goes along with the needs to support them. I could get behind an effort like that.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 772STi
Thanks zaph for the update. It's so nice to see these birds still in the sky. So simple yet devastating. I have always loved th A-10. This made my night thank you.

S+F
Same here used to make parts for the A-10 when i worked at Kaiser Aluminum would like to see the A-10 updated and improved.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I keep forgetting they've already done the FAC(A) mission too. I just think of the F16s doing it and the Bronco doing it and nothing inbetween.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I keep forgetting they've already done the FAC(A) mission too. I just think of the F16s doing it and the Bronco doing it and nothing inbetween.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I dont know anything about Sandy but CSAR seems to me that a Commanche type would be better than an A-10 to support the Ghost Hawks. But yeah, if you are able to send in a helo, having an A-10 in support seems possible.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Something like that is happening right now in Mail.

German forces have upgraded their mission by adding 3 Tiger helis to have an equal "Sandy mission" to their rescue helis.
The Dutch have pulled their troops, so Germany steps up.

I wonder how long those Tigers will last.. Not because from enemy fire, but by mechanical problems.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The Air Force has upgraded 16 Davis-Monthan A-10s, bringing back the Sandy mission. Sandy was the callsign used, especially by the Skyraiders in Vietnam, for aircraft flying Combat Search and Rescue missions. The Sandy aircraft were the ones flying cover for the helicopters that performed the actual rescue.

The upgrade includes an upgraded communications system, that allows both voice and text communications to downed aircrew, JTACs, and other ground forces. It also automatically updates GPS coordinates for aircrew members.

www.aviationpros.com...

Your post is mostly correct, but since I was there, flying the Skyraiders, I might add a little. Actually, "Sandy" was only one of the callsigns used by Combat Search and Rescue Teams. It was used by part of my squadron, the 602 Special Operations Squadron, which flew out of Udorn, Thailand during my time there. Other units used the "Firefly", "Spad (Single Place Attack-Douglas), "Hobo" and "Zorro" callsigns, and operated out of places like Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, and Bien Hua and Nha Trang, Vietnam. The A-1 was a perfect aircraft for the job. It could fly low and slow, had phenomenal endurance, and could carry more ordinance than a B-17 4 engine bomber from WWII. We carried 250 and 500 pound dumb bombs, napalm, rockets and enough cannon shells to do some damage. Our bombs were so dumb that we had to get a guardian appointed for them at the morning briefing.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

While there were others, if you mention "Sandy" to just about anyone who follows the CSAR mission, they now exactly what you mean. It's by far the most famous and has become synonymous with CSAR.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I wonder could a A-10 be covered in RCS and have its engines cowled a bit to reduce heat sig?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa
Way too many right angles on the A-10. I don't think Flubber would even help.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Still love this bird. Had two buzz the Tall Ships event in Bay City. I suspect they were out of Detroit. I seemed to be the only one who cared out of a thousand people. One of the pilots even gave me the wing wag. Keep them running.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

If you are going to open a line up, you should upgrade them while you are setting up the tooling.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
hey zaph. I love the a10. But why do you think they chose the a10 as the support and spotter aircraft. Is ot due t survivability to small arms fire and light shoukder launched rckeys and misdiles. Is it its ability to hose enemy looking to take out the crew of the downed aircraft? In your opinion is this the best aircraft for this roll. Would you pick a different aircraft if it were up to you.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If only Obama had them buzz the Toyota convoys in Syria/Iraq all those years ago instead of trying to mothball them. The legacy of the traitor in chief was far reaching.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The president doesn't make decisions on what gets retired and what doesn't. The Air Force makes those decisions and goes to Congress. I know it's cool or something to blame Obama for everything, but that has no place in this thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join