It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'It's a Hateful Message': Artwork at US Capitol Depicting Police as Pigs Sparks Controversy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Once you agree to banning of anything offensive, then everything is subject to banning.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Considering it is actually outside the bounds of the rules of the art contest it won, it shouldn't be there in the first place.

One of the rules of the contest is that the work is not to depict things that are of contemporary political controversy. I would think that a painting depicting police as pigs shooting a black man in what seems to be Ferguson would qualify as a subject of contemporary political controversy.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Still not a justification for banning.

A few months ago, I posted a thread called, "Ode To A Politician".

This is my poo, it does not stink
I am an elitist, so I do not think.
I cry
And lie
And never ask why
Because my poo don’t stink.

Embrace my poo and realize
My poo is to editorialize
My poo doth proselytize
The lies
And cries
Of the great Unwise.

I share my poo for all humanity
So they can learn and love my vanity
The lies
The cries
Embrace, and adore, and love my insanity.

Imagine if Rand Paul liked it and framed it and put it in a hallway of congress.

I'm sure my "art" would offend many.

Still not right.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

If it was an independent artwork that Congressman Thus and Such was displaying, OK, but this was the winner of a contest with rules, and it's subject violates those rules.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Then the judges were assholes.

Still not a justification for banning.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

At first I thought, "Police as pigs? Why, I can remember when protestors called police "pigs". I better have a look." ..... ok, saw no pig. Did see a boar. And other animal imagery, and not just on police. Enlarged the picture to make sure I wasn't missing something. .... I gotta apologize for Rep. Hunter, him being from Ca. He is a little "off the wall", he did have his own meltdown with his campaign credit card--- blamed his wife--- for which he had to pay back some thousands, so I am not surprised he had another meltdown over this painting. And with his buddy Rohrabacher..... not all our nuts are on trees here..... who also had his own meltdown after 9-11 when it was discovered he had "gone rogue" with Taliban dealings pre-9/11.... pssst, DB, between you and me, I think there was something legal in Rep. Hunter's vape pen and maybe he shared it with Dana... can't be sure, but this painting stunt reminds me of something that Beavis and Butthead would do... after vaping something legal...
edit on 11-1-2017 by desert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

I take it you missed the black man crucified on the scales of justice?

Nothing political or controversial there at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Maybe the point should be to respect and hold to the 1st Amendment regardless what is being expressed.

Then when they ban another flag, or ban the 10 Commandments, THEY can be outed as the hypocrites.

Yet those things have been removed, and by many of the same people who defend this artwork. Equal treatment would be a start, of course, but who would want to allow paintings of blacks portrayed as animals, for example? I don't think something of that sort belongs in a Congressional building, in a corridor. The guy could have kept it in his office. It's in very poor taste.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join