It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'It's a Hateful Message': Artwork at US Capitol Depicting Police as Pigs Sparks Controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's about as sensitive as someone putting up a painting of black rabbits in a dense overgrown forest. I'm sure the CBC would be up in arms about such a painting.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Maybe the point should be to respect and hold to the 1st Amendment regardless what is being expressed.

Then when they ban another flag, or ban the 10 Commandments, THEY can be outed as the hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Art can and should do anything, except it's "entartet" of course. Then some German will come around to seize it, ya know the drill. Can't think of any other example because there is none.

I mean c'mon, it's quite obviously not a realistic painting and/or representation of pigs. But it could start a debate regarding (police) violence and you poor Muricans sure as hell could use that!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
THANK YOU!
Now i don't have to say it.

a reply to: Grambler

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Those are boars, not pigs.

The boar is an emblem of fertility, fearlessness, and strength

symboldictionary.net...

Yeah, take it down!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Three pigs and a wolf in the painting.. I'd say people are missing the point entirely. It isn't portraying the cops as the bad guy in my opinion. I'd say that the message is about the trials and tribulations that law enforcement is dealing with today. The person who painted it may in fact be painting a modern day representation of the old story about the three little pigs and how they learned to protect their lives and house against the big bad wolf.. I thinks it's a pretty cool painting that may have nothing at all to do with racism. The people in the painting are all colours, and the scales are symbolic of the struggle..

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Even art has the ability to trigger peoples sensibility.... Lol....its a painting and someone's opinion.... So let's just ban everything offensive shall we...

Did you read the part where it was in a government building? I mean would you be offended if some white guy had a painting of some KKK dudes in his government office?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A piece of artwork displayed at the United States Capitol depicting police officers as pigs is creating controversy from coast to coast, with police officers demanding it be removed.

The painting, which was created in Missouri, has angered police in the Bay Area and across the nation. It shows police officers as pigs pointing guns at African Americans.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

Painting goes up
Painting goes down
Painting goes up
Painting goes down

Yes, it's insulting. But so is looking at some peoples actual faces.

The art, as insulting as it is, should stay up in my opinion.

What's your opinion?

There are a lot of good cops out there. It's unfair to paint them with a broad stroke.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Geki09

You're right.

It's unfair and in poor taste.

But it's protected by the 1st Amendment. So keep the painting up.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Oh and as a follow up, I just saw this on tv.

Rep. Clay a member on the congressional black caucus is the one who keeps putting it up. He claims the message of the painting isn't important, it purely a free speech matter.

But in 2015, clay demanded confederate memorials be taken down because they were offensive.

Love those hypocrites!

So, I assume he'd be supportive of an artist putting up -- in the exact same spot -- images or statues of famous black people depicted as apes then? Probably not.

Artists, especially American ones exercising the right to free speech through whatever medium, are certainly free to do as they please. But I had the notion that we have so much of it that we've lost collective control of ourselves and have no sense of respect or decency anymore. Call it "too much of a good thing", I guess.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

If a member of the government has a picture of the KKK on his desk he probably isnt the right person for the job, but is a miserable comparison in my opinion, are you saying that depicting a LEO as a pig is racist or at the very least as dangerous and bigoted ?

Personally i have seen a lot of offensive art over my time, and what i find offensive others may not ...But hey that is the beauty of art, it is supposed to shock people,if it can

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Hope the artist who drew that crap never gets in an emergency... Gee, guess who he's gonna find himself needing to call to come save his sorry ass.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Gee, guess who he's gonna find himself needing to call to come save his sorry ass.

Ghostbusters ?
edit on 11-1-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think its lame, sure there are some pigs in there but some good decent family people too, we need them if something goes down, better to be nice to them. Ive had interactions with bad pigs before but I still think there are lots of good ones. Take it down and stop trying to divide.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: synthetichuman
I think its lame, sure there are some pigs in there but some good decent family people too, we need them if something goes down, better to be nice to them. Ive had interactions with bad pigs before but I still think there are lots of good ones. Take it down and stop trying to divide.

It really shouldn't be a dividing factor...There are many slang term for police, copper being one of them...

Back in the day the cops would show up to the footy games and the crowd would start in a chant saying "whats the color of a 2 cent coin, copper copper", the cops laughed and shook hands with the crowd, but i suppose there was a lot more respect on both sides and to be honest people in general were not so easily butt hurt back then the way there are these days...

As far as i am aware and if anyone can correct me great but the term pig came from orwells "animal farm" story ....although it may be used by some as a derogatory term its origins are more benign...
edit on 11-1-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

welcome to the vicious circle

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A piece of artwork displayed at the United States Capitol depicting police officers as pigs is creating controversy from coast to coast, with police officers demanding it be removed.
The painting, which was created in Missouri, has angered police in the Bay Area and across the nation. It shows police officers as pigs pointing guns at African Americans.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

Painting goes up
Painting goes down
Painting goes up
Painting goes down

Yes, it's insulting. But so is looking at some peoples actual faces.

The art, as insulting as it is, should stay up in my opinion.

What's your opinion?

I don't think it belongs in the capital.

Hell, throw in some mohammad cartoons and a piss christ and charge money.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

It opens up Pandoras box. What if a picture of Obama with chains on being whipped by Trump made it's way to the Capitol? Would that be OK? Somehow, I think not. But you can't have one and not the other, so it's either good for all, or it's not.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Its divisive, offensive and insulting and as such, I don't think there's a place for it in a public building. I understand that there's an argument for free speech, but as others have said, if we're going to ban the 10 commandments, the confederate flag, or whatever else, on the grounds that they are offensive to certain groups of people, then this shouldn't be acceptable, either.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ahh, artwork. As crappy as it's quality might be(I've seen worse. At least he used complementary colors), the success lies in the beauty of controversy. This thread alone brings up the artistic value in that we're discussing it.

Regardless of there being a great many policeman who have good intentions and have to deal with this sort of tarnishing, I know I've seen and read about more than enough bad-police instances needed to justify this kind of depiction, especially in art form. If you haven't, you're not looking.

I don't know if pigs is the optimal imagery to use. Sure, it's the most popular slang, and the one policemen most seem to despise, (LINK) but to me they are far better considered "tools" if one is going to be derogatory.

It's clearly connected with the BlackLivesMatter campaign at least partly funded by Soros LINK as well as being a statement to bring awareness to the injustice African Americans receive all too frequently in our supposedly liberty-based country.

Knowing how wrongly Americans have been treated by our policemen in the anti-drug "war", how the real crimes are the destruction against human lives for simply using substances, one has to be aware that the cops are in a no-win situation causing them to BE the tool they may not even wish to be. That's the dirty part and questions the moral decisions the police have to make in simply trying to be upholders of law. I'm sure many a cop has had a difficult time justifying the role they play in sending these kids to jail over a ridiculous notion that is so far out of their control. But what can they do? Others don't have these issues and just dutifully carry out their orders.

All in all, I'd say it's a lot tougher to be a cop in general than getting offended by artwork.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join