It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'It's a Hateful Message': Artwork at US Capitol Depicting Police as Pigs Sparks Controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy
That sounds quite level headed. Glad to see you trying to do it in a positive manner.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Leave it up. Who cares anymore.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Heres some more police portrayed as pigs, black as crows, a cool cat named Fritz. This film hails from a time (1972) when people faced the same issues they do today. This is not a childrens cartoon, it has mature themes, adult language, blood and violence, the same then as now...
They would never allow such a film to be produced today, let alone air it on TV. So who has more freedom, them or us?
edit on 10-1-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yep, I agree. It's a state building, this example of free speech should be allowed there.

I am sure all of the democrats defending this painting as free speech would be estactic to defend hanging up a confederate flag right next to it.

Agreed, or a statue of the ten commandments...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Im not an American and I certainly dont know why certain folk want to start a racial conflict but dont they know who owns all the good guns.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Oh and as a follow up, I just saw this on tv.

Rep. Clay a member on the congressional black caucus is the one who keeps putting it up. He claims the message of the painting isn't important, it purely a free speech matter.

But in 2015, clay demanded confederate memorials be taken down because they were offensive.

Love those hypocrites!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yep, I agree. It's a state building, this example of free speech should be allowed there.

I am sure all of the democrats defending this painting as free speech would be estactic to defend hanging up a confederate flag right next to it.

Agreed, or a statue of the ten commandments...

Hw about an upside down american flag next to that?

Sure why not? Have a peoples corner, room or whatever, where ordinary people can come and hang pics, signs, banners, etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So they are allowed to hang a picture that depicts cops as pigs on the wall at the Capitol, because of free speech

But you can't have a confederate flag on a confederate war memorial because it is wrong?
Makes perfect sense /sarc

edit on 1/10/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Just saw it - the funny thing is that it depicts a black/dark brown pig. Interesting dont you think

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's insultung artwork and I suppose in pretty bad taste to hang it where it is, but is there any truth to it?

I don't think it does our society any good to look away from or censor ugly truths.

And censoring artwork, well that is a very frightening slippery slope......

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: butcherguy

Freedom of expression is like watching sausage get made, pun intended.

In all seriousness, this is nothing new, police officers have been called cops, pigs, bacon, heat, po-po.......for a long time. Part of the job. My father was in law enforcement, and collects ceramic pigs.

You are right.
But.
That doesn't mean that I want my kids to believe that it is an acceptable thing when they view it in a public place.
I think it is part of our society getting 'uglier'.

Or hopefully, maybe it is a part of our society finally looking at those ugly parts. We won't fix them if we pretend they don't exist, or push them behind the curtain so that someone's sensibilities aren't offended.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
A picture of police shooting black people. Reality.

It's the Mud-Pit. I'll bite.

Did they deserve it?

You know. The question has been batted around lately a lot. Why is the murder rate so high in Chicago? Are there a lot of black people in Chicago? Are they a bunch of hooligans and thugs? Do their rivals simply understand it's easier to deal with 'a black problem' by killing it?

Why wouldn't the cops have the same understanding? You know (white) society (you know that group that pays all the taxes) 'really' doesn't give a hoot about dead black people. They care more about 'the bill' when it comes to incarceration. They care more about 'the bill' when it come to welfare. They care more about 'the bill' when nit comes to EBT. They care more about 'the bill' when a city is being looted and burned.

Maybe the ultimate truth is the opposite of what the media was trying to shove down our throats for YEARS: Black Lives DON'T Matter.

Maybe the REAL truth is: Cops are doing their small part in solving a problem ... and the bill-payer knows this and subsequently doesn't give a damn.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

edit on 1012017 by Snarl because: DP

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Seems the police are upset about the pig part, not the shooting part. Interesting.

More white people are killed by police. But proportionally blacks are killed more by police right?

Well since we are talking proportions how about blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.

Interesting.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

It's the Mud-Pit. I'll bite.

Did they deserve it?

You know. The question has been batted around lately a lot. Why is the murder rate so high in Chicago? Are there a lot of black people in Chicago? Are they a bunch of hooligans and thugs? Do their rivals simply understand it's easier to deal with 'a black problem' by killing it?

Why wouldn't the cops have the same understanding? You know (white) society (you know that group that pays all the taxes) 'really' doesn't give a hoot about dead black people. They care more about 'the bill' when it comes to incarceration. They care more about 'the bill' when it come to welfare. They care more about 'the bill' when nit comes to EBT. They care more about 'the bill' when a city is being looted and burned.

Maybe the ultimate truth is the opposite of what the media was trying to shove down our throats for YEARS: Black Lives DON'T Matter.

Maybe the REAL truth is: Cops are doing their small part in solving a problem ... and the bill-payer knows this and subsequently doesn't give a damn.

I concur.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Well since we are talking proportions

I wasn't but the numbers are there. It's a bad situation, all around. Of course in the inner cities a lot of the killing isn't even being done by the police.

Always an outcry of a police shooting but no so much when the kids are shooting each other and the neighbors.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
Well since we are talking proportions how about blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I don't think that should be displayed, especially in the Capitol building!! It's vile, and promotes hatred for police. We have all seen the results of that, with the shootings in Dallas, and many other places as well. Personally, I applaud Hunter for taking it down.

That such a hateful work won a contest is appalling to me as well.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
It´s artistic freedom, freedom of opinion/speech.
If not SOME! cops would behave like pigs, nobody would paint them as pigs...

So, if I contact an artist I know, and have that person paint a picture of the four scumbags who tortured that kid in Chicago, and depict them as rabid animals, that would be acceptable to you? After all, that is how they behaved! Let's do that, and post it in the same building.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Even art has the ability to trigger peoples sensibility.... Lol....its a painting and someone's opinion.... So let's just ban everything offensive shall we...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join