It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

'It's a Hateful Message': Artwork at US Capitol Depicting Police as Pigs Sparks Controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

A piece of artwork displayed at the United States Capitol depicting police officers as pigs is creating controversy from coast to coast, with police officers demanding it be removed.

The painting, which was created in Missouri, has angered police in the Bay Area and across the nation. It shows police officers as pigs pointing guns at African Americans.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

Painting goes up
Painting goes down
Painting goes up
Painting goes down

Yes, it's insulting. But so is looking at some peoples actual faces.

The art, as insulting as it is, should stay up in my opinion.

What's your opinion?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

There was a time when artists wouldn't have thought about putting such crass stuff in public.
I don't want my children to be taught that police are 'pigs'.
This sort of thing feeds on itself.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I think most would agree that it is insulting.

But displaying it should be allowed, in my opinion.

link   
A picture of police shooting black people. Reality.

Seems the police are upset about the pig part, not the shooting part. Interesting.

link   
It´s artistic freedom, freedom of opinion/speech.
If not SOME! cops would behave like pigs, nobody would paint them as pigs...

edit on 10 1 2017 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

link   

I mean, I believe in free speech and private property rights, but I think it is inappropriate.

I did want to point out though that this is a case where political correctness is reversed, something that happens all the time, which I will make a terrible thread about at some point.

Anyways, cops do a tough job and I think many many get a bad wrap

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Freedom of expression is like watching sausage get made, pun intended.

In all seriousness, this is nothing new, police officers have been called cops, pigs, bacon, heat, po-po.......for a long time. Part of the job. My father was in law enforcement, and collects ceramic pigs.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
It´s artistic freedom, freedom of opinion/speech.

I just have to...

An opinion that is not politicly correct...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Freedom of expression is like watching sausage get made, pun intended.

In all seriousness, this is nothing new, police officers have been called cops, pigs, bacon, heat, po-po.......for a long time. Part of the job. My father was in law enforcement, and collects ceramic pigs.

You are right.
But.
That doesn't mean that I want my kids to believe that it is an acceptable thing when they view it in a public place.
I think it is part of our society getting 'uglier'.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yep, I agree. It's a state building, this example of free speech should be allowed there.

I am sure all of the democrats defending this painting as free speech would be estactic to defend hanging up a confederate flag right next to it.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The important thing is to talk about it - without going full retard with all the labeling and insults and collective presumptions, in my opinion it should stay up until it is ready to come down through full consensus - and that will only happen when everyone drops the hate and agrees to move forward together.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I am sure all of the democrats defending this painting as free speech would be estactic to defend hanging up a confederate flag right next to it.

You are my new hero.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Would it be okay to display a picture of the KKK, or any other hate filled exhibit at the capital? If it is then leave it up. If not, then take it down.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think most would agree that it is insulting.

But displaying it should be allowed, in my opinion.

I support freedom of speech.
I don't agree with taking it down.

I think it is a sign of the times. The artist believes that this is something that we should see.
I th I nk that it shows us the ugly side of the artist and our society.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I agree with everything you just stated.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

That doesn't mean that I want my kids to believe that it is an acceptable thing when they view it in a public place.

Hopefully you have a conversation about this with your children and explain the history. Give them guidance until they are old enough to make their own opinion.

In this case, acceptable is highly up to personal opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Hopefully you have a conversation about this with your children and explain the history. Give them guidance until they are old enough to make their own opinion.

In this case, acceptable is highly up to personal opinion.

I do talk to them about matters like this. I have explained that there are good cops and bad cops and what lawful orders are.
I also talk to them about how it is often better to say nothing at all instead of saying something bad.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

A piece of artwork displayed at the United States Capitol

If 'rebel' flags have to be taken down.

Crosses have to be taken down.

Take down that trash some people 'think' is art.

Don't like it ?

Oh well.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yep, I agree. It's a state building, this example of free speech should be allowed there.

I don´t care about coloured pieces of cloth, called flags.
And i don´t have anything to do with US dems or reps, because i am german.
So i can´t say much about that, except that i can´t understand that people go for other peoples throats because of a coloured piece of cloth. Maybe this is because i am german, and we have our history, with nationalism, patriotism, millions of red/white/black coloured flags and everything evil that came with it.

But i still just see a piece of art, which shows an opinion. I would rather see people protest that way, than shooting others, burning others stuff down, etc. And it´s better than to post hate posts on "social" media, anyways.
Because it is and stays art.

And art shouldn´t be censored!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
it`s as inappropriate as a picture depicting barry and michelle as apes.

your right to freedom of expression doesn`t include the right to have your artwork displayed in a public building.

if congressman clay likes the picture so much he can hang it in his office or in his bathroom at home, and the artists right to freedom of express will remain uninfringed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join