It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury sentences Dylann Roof to death for Emanuel AME Church massacre

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Good.

I wonder if anyone will show up here protesting the death penalty.

I protest the death penalty entirely simply because innocent people have been proven to have been executed and that, alone, should be the end of it.

This is quite apart from the fact that I believe leaving someone to rot in a prison cell for the rest of their life is a far greater punishment than just killing them. From the prisoners perspective it just goes black - that's it, punishment over.

Now before someone tries to accuse me of supporting Roof, or some other such nonsense, I absolutely believe he is guilty and deserves a life sentence rotting in a prison cell.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

You can still appeal a sentence being self-represented. Though the media seems to be under the impression that he will be appealing at least:

Nevertheless, it will likely be years before he is put to death; the federal government has put executions on hold out of concerns about lethal injection drugs, and appeals could put off the date even further. The last federal execution took place in 2003.(Source)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh goody. An extra charge. Wasting the courts time. Now he can have a fine on top of his death sentence.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
He needs to die as soon as possible. I don't want to have to pay for him to live out his life in prison. He is a waste of air.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I just don't see him appealing. Supposedly he represented himself to avoid having his mental health details brought up. He asked for the death penalty. Anyway, it would surprise me if he did.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Here's the reason you don't do some flashy, long, painful, torturous process. People remember it. It gives him a legacy. A simple death, probably painless, just the same as what anyone else on death row gets. You don't immortalize him by making his death special.

In most cases I'm against the death penalty too, I'm not even sure I fully support it vs life in prison here simply due to the time and cost involved (again, he shouldn't get special treatment, and appeals are mandatory), but I can say he's the type of person who should be removed from society forever.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

My Degree in is not in Psychology but this may be of interest.
Psychology today

IMO he is simply an extreme case of angry white man (like most white supremacists).

edit on 11-1-2017 by Tiger5 because: edit

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Maybe. Guess time will tell. Though that certainly works out for the tax payers if he doesn't.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Here is my comment migrated from a second thread on the same topic:

I am for the death penalty, but I'm not personally sure if it's worse than a life sentence with no chance of ever leaving. On one hand, I feel people that commit heinous acts like this should be removed from our existence, and on the other hand, a more evil side of me wants them to suffer for the rest of their lives trapped like the animals they behaved like.

Goodbye Dylan. I'm sorry for the people you killed, for their families, and for anyone who put any ounce of time into raising you and loving you just for you to turn out like this. I'm also sorry for you, sorry that you are sick and deranged and so non compassionate. However the fact is you ARE those things, and your peers have decided it's time for you to go now. Goodbye.

-Alee

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

Feminist SJWs, lots of ideas, appreciated the link and effort though

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

The guy was a Manchurian Candidate, no different than the recent Ft. Lauderdale airport shooter.

Hes a killer. A liar too, go figure...

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Late to the party, but...

I live in Charleston. We've been living with this story. He sat and talked with those people for AN HOUR before he decided to execute all but one. Who does that??? I do NOT believe he was brainwashed or some sleeper agent- and I believe those people exist! This boy has no soul - nada, nothing, zip. There are people in this world like that! I personally met a 7 year old boy who had all the red flags of a serial killer (story in an old post somewhere here), flat dead eyes, but could charm the pants off of anyone he set out to. Dylan Roof is the same kind of kid. Somehow he missed that part of the assembly line. And yeah, as soon as I saw my news alert from the paper saying he was formally sentenced to death, I said "Good." Which would surprise anyone who knows me! He's never going to feel remorse. He chose to put down those folks like someone would kill a fish they caught for supper.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join