It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Your "Parenting Style".

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I've been away for a few months following the birth of my (supposed to be a daughter, but SURPRISE!) son. Since entering parenthood, I've now been exposed to the world of "parenting philosophies", and I thought it may be fun to see what other peoples strategies for raising their kids are.

Now, I work in publishing, and I personally know of two parenting books made up on the fly following some market research and a well paid endorsement, so I'm pretty skeptical of all the books out there. The only parenting book I've read out of the many laying on my bookshelf is "Bringing Up Bèbè", which is interesting in that, the author chronicles her adaptation from an "American" style of parenting to a "French" style. Culturally, I'm neither, so I really liked the window it provided.

My parenting philosophy, and my kid is 11 weeks old, so it's basically eat, poop, sleep, repeat at this stage is : I love you, I clothe you, I feed you, now go to bed when I tell you.

Does anyone here follow a strict "philosophy" of parenting though? How is it working for you? What are the benefits and challenges?

Just a fun chit chat thread to come back to.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

While some people like to use the carrot and stick approach I tend to favor the stick and stick approach as I feel it instills a deep sense of discipline.

Most of my neighbors seem to like it and thank me although their kids certainly don't. But hey, my lawn is pristine these days.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Me: Fielder, let's discuss "stick and stick" parenting.

My kid:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Right now your job is to keep the little guy alive and happy.
The parenting doesn't really begin until the neighbors are at your door complaining about your kid lol.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Well hello little man. Welcome to the world!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Oh how I remember those days!! I miss my boys (8 & 5) being babies but don't miss the not sleeping at night parts lol. With your first kid you tend to be over protective and want to do everything by the books. If you have a second you'll learn to relax. Our oldest we had to put him on a routine otherwise it was hell for everyone involved. Once we did that it was smooth sailing.

But as they get older my parenting style I would say is in the middle. I'm strict when I need to be and laxed when I need to be. There are times where I am too strict and times where I am too laxed so it's hard sometimes to find that balance. We communicate with our kids often about rights and wrongs and try not to come down too hard on certain items as they are still learning as well.

Good luck! And wow, what a surprise when you were expecting a girl lol!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm partial to little boys.
So much fun.
Wait til he's talking.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

My boys...
41, 34, 21... I really miss this.
And no grandbabies😥

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Good strategy.
I prefer the 'creepy naked man in a hockey mask, holding a machete' approach for dealing with those damned neighbor kids on my lawn.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Does that finger tell you what he thinks about the camera?

My best advice to you is be a parent not a friend.
Kids need discipline.
Kids need schedules.

Almost forgot, "beautiful baby" congrats!
edit on 10-1-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Eta

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I would say I'm an incredibly relaxed parent...unless I don't see my own parenting neuroses...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I completely agree with you.

He's got a wild middle finger, which I find hilarious, and others find slightly distasteful.
edit on 10-1-2017 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Me: Fielder...

Is he named for Cecil or Out?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

At this age, his throwing arm is pretty weak, so he's more of an In.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
At this age, his throwing arm is pretty weak...

Use the aforementioned sticks. Toughen him up a bit.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Learning to say "NO" to my kids was the best advice from my father. Ever since they were toddlers my kids and I usually had an understanding of what is expected of them and what the punishments or rewards are for failing or meeting those expectations. The only thing they are entitle to in my house is my love for them, the rest they have to work and put their efforts forward to get.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Good strategy.
I prefer the 'creepy naked man in a hockey mask, holding a machete' approach for dealing with those damned neighbor kids on my lawn.

My AHole brother in law actually scared my second with a cleaver when the kid was four. He thought he was being funny but he really scared the kid. No hockey mask just a crazy maniacal look on his face.oh and he had clothes on.
What gets into men?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

My daughter is 5 and I've been a stay-home dad since she was around 12 months.

Don't worry about adhering to a fixed parenting style. In fact, at this point, don't do much aside from singing and talking and holding and changing the little one.

When he does get older and requires "proper parenting", I still wouldn't turn to parenting books unless there's a clearly defined special need. Go with the flow - it's a growing experience for you, too.

Congrats on a healthy, beautiful baby boy. At the risk of sounding trite, I truly believe that a child is a gift from God.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

What I started off doing when my children were young was read as much as I could about parenting. I found the so-called experts even disagreed with each others findings, so amid the confusion, I decided to read three experts' findings on a particular aspect of parenting, and if two out of the three agreed, then I would adopt it, that is, if the explanation was logical to me and it fit my situation with my children.

Ultimately, I decided to use the reward system when they were young, and threaten to remove their bedroom doors when they became teenagers when they did not tow the line.

Congrats and good luck.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

so much love and kisses
fill the house with it

" to love and to be loved "

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join