It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Attorney General confirmation hearing of Senator Jeff Sessions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It's on YouTube from PBS here:

youtu.be...

He has a lot of support, but is confused on an issue I personally take to heart. His stance on marijuana is absolutely idiotic. Other than that, he appears to be a person highly rooted in principle and is willing to do as much bad as good based on his personal commitments. The committee is heavily stressing that it is not the Attorney General's duty to place his/her personal beliefs before the law. The question many moderate Americans are wondering is how Sessions will use his personal beliefs to interpret the law.

So far he has focused on fighting crime, murder, and violence in our communities and he has emphasized that he will be coming after those who use guns to commit crimes. Go for it guy.

Lots of civil disobedience occuring right now. People screaming "No Trump, No KKK". At least 3 interruptions and arrests and it has only just begun. People are so pissed off all over. Pray for calm and pray the media doesn't encite more hatred between liberals and conservatives. As an independent, those two particular groups have devolved into rabid fanatics. Let's get back to the center by kicking around real ideas!
edit on 10-1-2017 by BrokedownChevy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Im not American and have no idea whats going on but it seems very exciting based on everyones enthusiasm.

I cant watch any live feeds right now but Id love it if someone could explain to me whats going on and what all the fuss is about

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Im not American and have no idea whats going on but it seems very exciting based on everyones enthusiasm.

I cant watch any live feeds right now but Id love it if someone could explain to me whats going on and what all the fuss is about

It's a question answer type of meeting. We have a committee of Senators made up of those from various political spectrums and they ask him the hard questions. For example, they asked him, based on his close relationship with the president-elect, will he able to tell the president no in certain circumstances...

He's a straight forward constitutionalist and has repeatedly said he will follow the law after it has been written regardless of prior debate and policy differences.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

The coming times will be another big test for this nation. We pass or fail.

While the focus has been on White Nationalism, here's something that goes under the radar so far. It's by conservative George F. Will

The very bad reason Jeff Sessions is ‘very unhappy’

At a 2015 Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on forfeiture abuses, one senator said “taking and seizing and forfeiting, through a government judicial process, illegal gains from criminal enterprises is not wrong,” and neither is law enforcement enriching itself from this. In the manner of the man for whom he soon will work, this senator asserted an unverifiable number: “95 percent” of forfeitures involve people who have “done nothing in their lives but sell dope.” This senator said it should not be more difficult for “government to take money from a drug dealer than it is for a businessperson to defend themselves in a lawsuit.” In seizing property suspected of involvement in a crime, government “should not have a burden of proof higher than in a normal civil case.”

Jeff Sessions in favor of civil forfeiture .... something to be very upset and worried about

The article is a chilling must-read.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Here comes the Clinton matter. He just admitted he would not be able to be objective towards Clinton. He said he intends to recuse himself from anything Clinton related. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert

The coming times will be another big test for this nation. We pass or fail.

While the focus has been on White Nationalism, here's something that goes under the radar so far. It's by conservative George F. Will

The very bad reason Jeff Sessions is ‘very unhappy’

At a 2015 Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on forfeiture abuses, one senator said “taking and seizing and forfeiting, through a government judicial process, illegal gains from criminal enterprises is not wrong,” and neither is law enforcement enriching itself from this. In the manner of the man for whom he soon will work, this senator asserted an unverifiable number: “95 percent” of forfeitures involve people who have “done nothing in their lives but sell dope.” This senator said it should not be more difficult for “government to take money from a drug dealer than it is for a businessperson to defend themselves in a lawsuit.” In seizing property suspected of involvement in a crime, government “should not have a burden of proof higher than in a normal civil case.”

Jeff Sessions in favor of civil forfeiture .... something to be very upset and worried about

The article is a chilling must-read.

I cannot comment on anything except the current hearing. I'll look at his record after the hearing after I've heard these issues brought up now and allowed him to answer and explain himself. This is not a job where political beliefs are to be administered. This job is about his ability to properly interper current law and fight for all American people equally.

Lots of smiles and laughs between democrats and republicans.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Mr Sessions says he will follow the law and precedence setup by Rowe and respects the law of same sex marriage. He was very affirmative about the latter.

Onto his civil rights records...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I can't catch the hearing, so glad that you can. See if his view on "civil forfeiture" is brought up and his explanation for his 2015 viewpoint.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So far so good. He has said a lot about fast tracking scientific (dna) analysis in crime.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert

I can't catch the hearing, so glad that you can. See if his view on "civil forfeiture" is brought up and his explanation for his 2015 viewpoint.

I'll definitely keep a watch out.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
"I have no belief that Muslims should be barred from the United States"

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
When states do not protect the rights of Americans do you believe it is the federal governments duty to step in? I do.

Same question flipped (states rights). He believes in states rights and won't step on that. Score!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Against executive orders as a solution to helping dreamers. Wants a law.

Another interruption. "No Trump, no kkk, no facist USA"

Sessions response "I think they're on the fence about me".

Fully trusts the FBI in regards to a question about hacking. Says the decision about Russia's hacking was honorably reached. He takes the protection of America seriously.

Hmmmm. The Senator from SC says that he knows what it feels like to be from the south and labeled as a southern conservative. The Senator is giving Mr. Sessions a chance to speak his mind to Americans who do not want to see America return to the days of what occured in the south. His response was good and strong.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I thought he did very good. But, he being a conservative, I don't know where he will get money for more police, arms, prosecutors, and prisons.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

Fully trusts the FBI in regards to a question about hacking. Says the decision about Russia's hacking was honorably reached. He takes the protection of America seriously.

Hmmmm. The Senator from SC says that he knows what it feels like to be from the south and labeled as a southern conservative. The Senator is giving Mr. Sessions a chance to speak his mind to Americans who do not want to see America return to the days of what occured in the south. His response was good and strong.

jeez...can they set the bar a little lower for him?....what?....he's against slavery and racial discrimination?.....wow!!! what a controversial idea!!...(rolls eyes)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

You hit on the important parts.
As long as he has integrity and will uphold the law (and is intelligent and knows the law), then that is what we need.

As for marijuana, it is up to legislatures to set the law, not him.
So you don't have to worry about what he thinks. If he has integrity, he will uphold the law.

I think that he is a good choice.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
His bad side just came out. He was against Obamas pardons for those jailed for unequal laws for crack coc aine related crimes despite that they had long served out the max sentence under current law. Ouch. This is the "do as much bad as good for principle" thing I previously mentioned.

Also, have to mention the conversation about college football. Give me a break. Move on gentlemen.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Looks like some protestors went all the way through the 4th grade. And legally drove themselves to school.
edit on 1/10/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

You hit on the important parts.
As long as he has integrity and will uphold the law (and is intelligent and knows the law), then that is what we need.

As for marijuana, it is up to legislatures to set the law, not him.
So you don't have to worry about what he thinks. If he has integrity, he will uphold the law.

I think that he is a good choice.

Marijuana is illegal under federal law. Also, states have rights. The laws are conflicting so this is the most interesting issue for him. It's his job to enforce the laws so what will his choice be?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Here comes the Clinton matter. He just admitted he would not be able to be objective towards Clinton. He said he intends to recuse himself from anything Clinton related. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It was smart for him to take that position.
He spoke out against Clinton previously, so he would not be seen as impartial.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join