It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Repeal Might Have Just Died Tonight

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Sure.

Just force everyone into a one-size-fits-all, overly bureaucratized system that will deliver health care about as well as our schools educate given time.

Our government is incompetent at everything it does, and if you have never been faced with a condition that is either rare or needs highly individualized treatment, then you have no idea why the increasing calls for a government run system gives me the screaming horrors.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Our government is incompetent because the people don't even pretend to try holding them accountable.

how many years has this "the incompetent government" meme been circulating? If there's any truth to it, then its a direct condemnation of you, me, and everyone else of legal voting age. It says that not only are we aware o the problem, but we do the exact opposite of actually doing something about it: hold our elected official to account.

I have 100% undisputed proof of this: how many years has this incompetence meme been circulating while each of the 2 major parties have been in power? Right....and we keep voting for them.

Its kind of sad, actually. It seems The People are unable to even help themselves. Its pathological. This past election, the 2 'outsiders" both ran on the major tickets. Because those are the only 2 bauble shiny enough to get the public's attention.

Maybe my frustration with my countrymen is showing through....but if we are going to blame anyone for governmental failures, it can only start with a dumb and lazy populace that is unable to make any decision other than the same one they made last time.

Now that i've put that soapbox aside, to answer the meat of your post: your options are:

- repeal ACA and deal with the humanitarian disaster it'll cause. I have 2 close friends who will likely die within a year of that, and Ill really dislike people who support full repeal at that point. Seething hatred might be a better word.
- leave it alone. That sucks. I can no longer be certain I can afford to even go to the doctor when Im sick, thanks to the hikes I've endured
- try to fix it. It won't work because at the heart of it all is a for profit scheme that will secure profits come hell or high water. And it'll be at the expense of the middle class.
- just move to nationalized healthcare and be done with it. Its where we will be in the near term regardless, as the fight to push us that way incrementally is almost over.

So, unless you have an idea im not seeing....thats your choices. Ill remind you: we are stuck making these choices because of The People making half assed voting decisions.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

You can try holding government accountable. People have been trying to fight the system. Look at how many people are working very, very hard to fight Common Core and the things teachers have been teaching under its purview.

But when the whole system is all and only run by the one operator, you have no recourse and no choice. What incentive is there for the system to ever change? You can fight it all you want, and what impetus does it have to change?

How many people have been screaming for VA reform now and for how long? How long until a government system for all of us looks exactly that competent and we are all dying while in a holding a pattern?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hold government accountable how? It's not government that dictates care, they just sign checks. Medicaid recipients are some of the best treated in our health care system today. From what I've seen, they're doing a great job.

As an aside, all indications are that Common Core is a runaway success. Thanks to it, the US reversed a 40 year trend of declining test scores and started increasing it's position relative to the rest of the world again. Go check the PISA tests, they just came out a month ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

And all of that considered: people not only continue to vote for D and R....they show up online every single day to fight over it.

Only 100-120mil people choose to vote. And of those, less than 1mil choose to vote outside the party lines. The People have spoken: we apparently approve of the terrible government we have.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I hear you. But imagine the boat we were in pre-ACA. We we up to $1200 per month pre ACA with thousands of dollars in deductibles. We lived week to week and still paid taxes most years. Now it really is more affordable for us, as our monthly cost was $580 and then actually went down this year to $400. We have to have insurance for our son. He is in a delicate place now and we are waiting for a major major surgery. Without insurance they would try to put us on Medicaid but we can't do Medicaid as my husband's business is contract and paid in lump sums. You go over $2000 in your account and they kick you off. Anyway. We are looking at a massive increase in premiums if they repeal, and we will be back to barely getting by.

Things in the past really sucked. The ACA has been very uneven in how it functioned. Congress decided not to help the middle class and forced the insurance companies to adjust most of their premiums up this year. Why? Because they only allowed 12% of the fund established in the ACA to help insurance companies with their risk management to be paid out and so now they are scrambling to raise rates to make up for losses. This was Congress directly taking out protections for the middle class that were designed to keep premiums lower while the markets stabilized. They undercut the law by underfunding it.

Funny how they didn't explain that to voters while they said "see it's not working!"

Go Congress.

edit on 10-1-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

The middle class can take no more hits. We are almost extinct.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: AboveBoard

The middle class can take no more hits. We are almost extinct.

I know.

I believe in widening and protecting the middle class which is the consumer base. If we go extinct the economy fails in general.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I just hope it's repealed and replaced with something better.

On a side note I don't care if Obama will approve of it. Sick of seeing news articles that he will support a new healthcare if it's better than Obamacare. Who cares if he will accept it, come Jan 20th he's no longer the president and his opinion is irrelevant and no longer matters. Go quietly like Bush did and let the next president do his job. Good riddance.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   
February 2, 2017

Unless President Trump intervenes quickly, OBAMACARE REPEAL is indeed DEAD.

Now, Senators want to merely fix it, like "an old bridge that's in need of repair", says Orin Hatch.

Full Story Here: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I think Trump will wait for two years till after the midterms before he tackles health care. The Republicans will pick up more seats, the Dems will be powerless.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

The democrats are powerless. There is nothing to stop Congress and Trump from repealing.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
what I find so ironic is that we are arguing over insurance...
you can have insurance, and still not be able to pay for the healthcare you need.
the insurance wouldn't be so high is it was for the cost of the healthcare would it??
we aren't even addressing the right problem...

but, by what I hear, trump seems to have already set up his ticket to remove the mandates through executive order. weather he will or not probably depends on weather someone can get through to him the consequences of doing so. what can I say, he might be a brilliant businessman, but he seems to be a fish out of water when it comes to govt operations.

considering just how much money flows into congress from the insurance and healthcare industries, is it any surprise that the lawmakers don't want to just repeal obamacare without something equally pleasing to these industries to replace it? especially when doing so would probably leave the entire industry in a pile of rubble? and if trump manages to completely demolish our healthcare system, I have a feeling that the only way we could resurrect it would be to socialize the system.. and it would cost a heck of alot more taxpayer money to do that after a collaspe than it would have before.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Trump can give a victory to House Republicans in their fight against Obamacare, but he may not want to. Does that mean that their fight was just for show all along?
]
Liberals have been saying this for years and up until this repeal strategy emerged since it was obvious that none of the Republicans had even considered what to do if they got their way yet.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
I think Trump will wait for two years till after the midterms before he tackles health care. The Republicans will pick up more seats, the Dems will be powerless.

The Dems are powerless now and if you think that it is a given that the Repubs will pick up more seats in 2018 after the Democratic base got fired up like its been then I have a bridge to sell you. No one in their right mind would push a high priority item like this on Trump's agenda past another election if it was truly important to them.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh boy... I foresee the launching of MANY comedy careers in the next 4 years.

I just noticed this, and had to chuckle...
sometimes I find myself wondering if the powers that be put trump where he is just to keep us so entertained that we wouldn't notice what they are doing in the background. I'd just about be willing to be that things aren't what they seem at this point.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

South Park won’t be satirising Donald Trump

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have explained why they decided not to directly parody Trump.

Parker told ABC in Australia: ‘It’s tricky now because satire has sort of become reality – it’s really hard to make fun of!

‘We were really trying to make fun of what was going on in the last season of South Park, but we couldn’t keep up.
More: TV

‘What was actually happening was much funnier than anything we could come up with. So we decided to kind of back off and let them do their comedy and we’ll do ours.’

Parker also added that they didn’t want to ‘service’ the President as a character on the show.

He said: ‘We were like, f**k him, we don’t want to give him the satisfaction.’

Apparently Trump is leaving comedians in the dust right now. They can't keep up with the idiocy. I may have to change my quote...
edit on 3-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Couple hospitals in oklahoma have switched to cash payments over insurance and costs are down quite a bit...

Its amazing the changes in cost once you remove the insurance companies from the equation.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I was seeing more and more of these kinds of stories, where the providers were just bypassing the insurance companies and passing their saving on down to the patients before the obamacare was passed. kind of wondered it maybe this was part of the reason why there is an obamacare, can't have the insurance companies forced out of the equation can we?
I thought that obamacare kind of killed the trend really, but glad it's still a practice in some areas. although, I do wonder, are they just taking care of the patients that have been missed by obamacare and don't have insurance, or are those who have the mandated coverage finding it still cheaper to just use these providers?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

well, I have to admit, trump has exceeded my expectation of crazy...
it's eat, drink and be marry, for tomorrow we might all die in a giant mushroom cloud time...
we need those comedians now more than ever..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join