It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Cheney's Green Parka and Boots Stand Out At Ceremony

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, made quite an impression during the ceremony commemorating the liberation of Nazi death camps. Dressed in a zipped-to-the-neck green parka, and a watch cap, Washington Post fashion writer Robin Givhan, described as an outfit best worn when operating a snow blower.

story.news.yahoo.com
OSWIECIM, Poland - Vice President Dick Cheney's utilitarian hooded parka and boots stood out amid the solemn formality of a ceremony commemorating the liberation of Nazi death camps, raising eyebrows among the fashion-conscious.

Cheney replaced the zipped-to-the-neck green parka he sported in Thursday's blowing snow and freezing wind with a more traditional black coat — red tie and gray scarf showing underneath — for his tour of Auschwitz on Friday.

Washington Post fashion writer Robin Givhan described Cheney's look at the deeply moving 60th anniversary service as "the kind of attire one typically wears to operate a snow blower."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Okay, isn't the vilification of Dick getting to be a bit much. Look at the picture of the event: Its looks pretty darn cold. He has a severe medical condition and he was no doubt cold. So what if he looked like a musher on the Ididrod?

[edit on 1/28/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Disrespectful to the dead. I'm appalled by this.

He did pretty well at his coronation didn't he. Wearing just an overcoat and scarf in the freezing cold.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This just in: AboveTopSecret.com has officially run out of real topics.

Stay tuned for details.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am about as ANTI Bush / Cheney as they come, but this is a bit rediculous. I cannot see how he is being disrespectful by the coat he is wearing. Its not as though it is bright green, it is just a parka.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'd rather see the man dressed for the elements than for fashion any day. That's the way people out here in New Mexico dress for the cold. It's not uncommon to see folks with Bean boots and parkas with their business suits when the conditions dictate.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I bet the same people who defended Harry's swastika will attack Cheney for this.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It's not fashion.

This was a memorial service for the death of over 6 million Jews, Gypsies, Mentally Disable and Homosexuals executed in concentration camps. You wear black because it is appropriate to show respect for the dead.

A modicum of respect and decorum is required for the Vice President of the United States in his diplomatic engagements and one of those is to dress appropriately.

If I were there I'd have worn my best suit and polished boots as would anyone else because it's a mark of respect for the dead.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
If I were there I'd have worn my best suit and polished boots as would anyone else because it's a mark of respect for the dead.

Um, he did, underneath the parka.

The guy is in his 60's and could drop dead at any moment. Let him wear a goddamn coat out in the snow. You've got enough to be pissed off at him about already.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
His seemingly informal attire could possibly be a clever planned code/sign to certain parties on a certain postion he might not had time to discuss in person- sounds a lil too much cloak & dagger I know.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
He looked fine at his coronation didn't he?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

It's not fashion.This was a memorial service for the death of over 6 million Jews, Gypsies, Mentally Disable and Homosexuals executed in concentration camps. You wear black because it is appropriate to show respect for the dead.

And as noted, he did have on his Sunday best under the parka, not a pair of long johns. Nerling, I hae no doubt if Dick dropped dead of a heart attack during the ceremony, youd have decry him for being disrespectful as well :shk:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Disrespectful to the dead. I'm appalled by this.

He did pretty well at his coronation didn't he. Wearing just an overcoat and scarf in the freezing cold.

Respectfully Nerdling, get a grip. Dick Cheney isn't evil for what he wears. Dick Cheney is evil for helping Halliburton loot the US treasury, at least in my humble opinion. When we criticize him for avoiding hypothermia we make a mockery out of any reasoned dissent against this administration.

When a man in poor health takes it upon himself to travel, involve himself at length in an event, and to show all the interest and respect he can muster despite his discomfort, it's bad form to nit-pick the things that were beyond his control.
My grandfather attended only the graveside service for his son in law and did not stand up even once during the service. None of us took offense or harbored any suspicion that he lacked respect for a man who had seen his daughter through so many hard times. We all just admired him for coming out and staying awake because we realized that the effort that took for him showed all due respect to the deceased.

Unless you can show me that Dick Cheney said to himself "To hell with the memory of those people- I feel like wearing green" you are just being petty. Why would you do this? We all know it's not for want of valid complaints against Dick Cheney, right?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
He didnt wear the coat for the cold he wore it because it was bullet proof. They left the other black coat on the plane.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
We are worried about what coat he wore to a ceremony when he is directing the deaths of thousands of Americans and even more Arabic people.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
I am about as ANTI Bush / Cheney as they come, but this is a bit rediculous. I cannot see how he is being disrespectful by the coat he is wearing. Its not as though it is bright green, it is just a parka.

Agree completely! Just because you don't care for someone doesn't mean everything had to be picked at the the point of absurdity.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm not "picking to the point of absurdity". It's disrespectful to turn up to an event not dressed appropriately.

If he wore a black Parka like his wife that would have been fine.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Maybe that's all he had?
I know that seems unlikely but ya never know...things happen at the last minute have to change, they get the same human problems and surprises the rest of us do.....and while, yes, you usually dress for the occasion.....who knows.

[edit on 1/28/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It is a little hard to believe it to be an accident, but I am sure it was. Although in the back of my mind I keep thinking about the Discovery channel program on the Secret Service. They plan weeks and months ahead in events like these and have everything on hand for every occasion, just not this one I guess. They provide for the vice prez in every way possible, security issues and the otherwise issues also.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Of course, the lead picture show Cheney in his green parka.
*read: picture of vice presidnet in worst possible light*

If any of you have bothered to go through the slide show,
you would have seen that Cheney did have on a black dress overcoat for parts of the ceremonies. (deny ignorance!)
Go pick on someone else!

[edit on 28-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The Vice President has a "Social Secretary" who coordinates what he wears at functions.

It's not an accident.

He donned a black overcoat on a tour of Auschwitz the next day. Yes I've seen the pictures.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join