It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former NYC Mayor would not like my part of the country...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Bloomberg would hate it here lol. Because of this: Soda Ban rule

Now what do you suppose this is: (vid is like 5 seconds...)

No...it's not a McDs or a BK drive thru line...nor is it ANY restaraunt drive thru line.

And the above video was taken at approximately 3:30 in the afternoon.

This is a typical Convenience Store in Southeast Missouri.

pretty much sums up the vid for those that can't see it...

This is a phenomenom that I have not heard of in any other part of the country.
These people are wating in line.
In a drive-thru. At a convenience store. Sometimes for 15 minutes, perhaps more. Because the people in front of them want to grocery shop.

They are waiting for me to get them a 12 pack of beer.
They are waiting for me to get them a bag of chips...or a candy bar.
They are waiting for me to get them a pack of smokes...

And...quite a lot of them...they are waiting for me to get them their 6th, 7th, 8th, sometimes more...44 OUNCE SODA OR SWEET TEA. For the DAY.
Yes...several times a day the same people come to get a soda.

This one convenience store shells out an average of 1300 32oz and 44oz drinks a day. A DAY.

There are at least 11 of these stores in my small town of about 40,000 people.

These people would rather wait in line and have someone "fetch" things for them than come in and help themselves (which by the way is typically infinitely faster). I have also had people come inside, walk up to the front counter, and ask them to make a drink for them, because (it seems to me) they do not want to help themselves.

(one lady even stated point-blank that she didn't want to make a drink herself, and could I make it for her. I told her she could help herself...she said "I don't want to make it myself. I'll go through the drive thru." And she proceeded to wait approximately 10 minutes in line, in the drive thru, so she wouldn't have to make it)

I cannot understand (fathom) why anyone would wait in line for something that they could help themselves to, their way, and in a less amount of time.

Am I wrong to feel this way? They say that obesity and heart disease are on the rise around here. I am 100% certain that these drive thru convenience stores are a major contributor...

What say you? Before you say "This is the greatest idea ever! I can go to a window and have anything I want handed to me!" think about it...

Then think of the movie Idiocracy...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Those people must have a lot of free time,americans always bitching about how hard they have to work and they don`t get paid enough but if you have enough free time to sit in line like that,then you aren`t working hard and you`re probably overpaid for the work you do.
you sit in line to overpay for something that you could get cheaper and faster somewhere else,but you`re too busy and too underpaid to go somewhere else that's faster and cheaper.
edit on 9-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Those people must have a lot of free time,americans always bitching about how hard they have to work and they don`t get paid enough but if you have enough free time to sit in line like that,then you aren`t working hard and you`re probably overpaid for the work you do.
you sit in line to overpay for something that you could get cheaper and faster somewhere else,but you`re too busy and too underpaid to go somewhere else that's faster and cheaper.

That plus the fact that someone might actually have job and they are complaining about those so lazy and stupid that it enabled the person who was employed because of it to complain?

Screwed up world we live in......

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Enjoy it while you can, OP, because you will be replaced by a robot sooner than you think. Those people you hate so much are the reason you have a job. You are part of this chain of supply and demand, but the most easily replaced.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ozark boy here, that is something I haven't seen. Is this phenomenon limited to the boot? I'm guessing you're in Poplar Bluff.

That's just crazy, but it is looking like a good business model.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

That plus the fact that someone might actually have job and they are complaining about those so lazy and stupid that it enabled the person who was employed because of it to complain?

Screwed up world we live in......

Yes it is a screwed up world. And yes, taking this job did enable me to "complain" about it. I didn't realize how far the extent of the "lazy and stupid" reached until I was on the side of the counter. I have utilized this service in the past, as a customer, before I realized that. That being said, I do NOT use a drive thru...anywhere.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Enjoy it while you can, OP, because you will be replaced by a robot sooner than you think. Those people you hate so much are the reason you have a job. You are part of this chain of supply and demand, but the most easily replaced.

I also understand this, that I can be replaced. Not only by a robot, by by any other person off the street. It's a good job, with good benefits. I just don't understand some of the clientele...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
Ozark boy here, that is something I haven't seen. Is this phenomenon limited to the boot? I'm guessing you're in Poplar Bluff.

That's just crazy, but it is looking like a good business model.

Far as I know, yes, it is only in SE Missouri. Yes, I know there are drive thru other kinds of stores...but as for convenience stores, only here.

And yes, it's a GREAT business model! It generates a ton of revenue. My concern is the people that take advantage...in my mind...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: edaced4

I wouldn't call it taking advantage, just using a service. I wouldn't queue up and wait for ages though, obviously much quicker to go in store.

Here in the UK we have a lot of shops with self-checkout, it's awesome if you only want a few things.

A few companies use grocery delivery now too, you don't have to leave the house at all since shopping can be done online.

It's cheap for delivery, cheaper than travelling and obviously great for people with mobility issues or for instance agoraphobia.

Does the US have grocery deliveries yet?

If not, I'd say get ready for it... It's getting popular here.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
That must be in the WestPlains area.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I'm in southwest Missouri, not too far from the Ozark boy above, and we don't have drive-through convenience stores...but we DO have drive-through liquor stores. Great way to send the message "don't drink and drive," eh? I'm sure drive-through convenience stores are probably the next step though.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I've used Sainsbury's delivery service but will admit I prefer choosing my items myself unless there is some very good reason why I can't go shopping! Why would I trust someone else to pick my shopping? Never know what crap you may get besides which if I didn't go myself I'd probably never get outside

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Drive through grocery shopping? I do not understand that at all. Understanding someone wanting a drink made for them, rather than having to figure out how the particular dispenser works? I get that entirely.

They are rather separate things, one legitimately stupid, the other legitimate period. There is a coffee machine in our local co-op. Rather than use it, I wait until I get home, then put a kettle on to make tea with. Not only is it cheaper, but I understand how it works already, and while making my brew, can think of other things, rather than being consumed by the workings of yet another new fangled device which does something which ought to be a simple matter of boil and pour, but for some reason requires interface with a touch screen device.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I never saw that before. I thought a convenience store was already pretty lazy. Now waiting for someone else to put the jug of corn syrup in front of your pie hole to boot?

I sometimes think a time warp back to pioneer days for all 320+ million would do a lot of good. My guess is the drive through crowd might not last too long.

top topics

join