It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Solar System's Mysterious, Undiscovered Planet 9

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Sirius is NOT influencing the sun's orbital dynamics! I said it is tracing a pattern through space with the solar system.

Then it cannot be its 'missing partner'.

Now explain how something so big as Planet Nein can exist with nobody ever having to take into account its influence on space exploration. Shouldn't something that huge screw up probes, satellites, and stationary stuff at Lagrange points? I mean, if we have elliptical orbits then nothing is safe.

Why would it influence those? It is tremendously far away.

edit on 9-1-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What an interesting and informative discussion this thread has spawned. I have always been fascinated by the stories of long period orbit planet/binary stars disrupting life here on Earth when they pass by. As far as I know nothing like this has happened in recorded history. The disruption of the space rocks and ice chunks floating around out there that occasionally sends comets and asteroids our way is fascinating to me as well. What causes it? Is Planet 9 a factor?

This story caught my eye because Sheppard is so convinced Planet 9 exists but claims they don't know where it is.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sorry buddy. You cannot argue both sides of the argument (I suppose you can do what ever you like! I'm just going to point this out). Either it is SO far away that it has no influence on the solar system or it is causing the entire solar system to tilt at 6 degrees with respect to the plane of the solar system.

The large and distant planet may be adding a wobble to the solar system, giving the appearance that the sun is tilted slightly.

"Because Planet Nine is so massive and has an orbit tilted compared to the other planets, the solar system has no choice but to slowly twist out of alignment," says Elizabeth Bailey, a graduate student at Caltech and lead author of a study announcing the discovery.

All of the planets orbit in a flat plane with respect to the sun, roughly within a couple degrees of each other. That plane, however, rotates at a six-degree tilt with respect to the sun—giving the appearance that the sun itself is cocked off at an angle. Until now, no one had found a compelling explanation to produce such an effect. "It's such a deep-rooted mystery and so difficult to explain that people just don't talk about it," says [Mike] Brown.

Phys.org - Curious tilt of the sun traced to undiscovered planet.

Again, the tilt of the solar system is being cause by this massive object or it is not. If it is, then Planet Nein exists and I will henceforth call it more respectfully, Planet 9.

Skipping the acknowledged Sirius faux pas earlier, there is still the issue of what causes the entire solar system to tilt. The Planet Nein hypothesis is nice and represents a scholarly approach to the subject. From the tin foil hat crowd is a rather radical idea: the solar system is "the alien" to the Milky Way.

And you have to fight NASA on this one, jpl.nasa.gov: Saturn Spacecraft Not Affected by Hypothetical Planet 9.

Basically says the same, if P9 is causing the tilt to the solar system then Cassini should be perturbed in a measurable way too. (Unless P9 is moving towards us or something further unexplainable).

ETA: Thanks for the lesson in rhetoric! Much appreciated!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Basically says the same, if P9 is causing the tilt to the solar system then Cassini should be perturbed in a measurable way too.
Actually, it doesn't say that.

"An undiscovered planet outside the orbit of Neptune, 10 times the mass of Earth, would affect the orbit of Saturn, not Cassini," said William Folkner, a planetary scientist at JPL.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

You do not understand your own source, it says nothing of the sun being affected, much like you are claiming for Sirius. As a matter of fact it says the sun is UNaffected.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Alright. Another point to Phage!

[ETA: Reading too many things at once. Wikipedia said something about P9 heading back towards the sun not affecting the probe because they location was supposed to be heading towards aphelion or vice versa. Anyway, off to other things! Thanks for the corrections and keeping me in line today!]
edit on 9-1-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity and levity

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The Sun does not orbit Sirius.

that's because Sirius is flat.
..... i'm joking......

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You are all forgetting that the man had an equation, which he wrote on the board, to prove this thing is out there.

We can't see it because we don't know exactly where it is, it's not lit by a nearby star, and it's way the hell out in deep space.

We don't have to make a conspiracy theory out of everything.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I am convinced that Planet 9 exists. However, determining its exact location is not as easy as some people would like to think. It could literally be at any point in its (estimated) 15000 year orbit, although it is more likely to be nearer aphelion than perihelion because......

* it spends most of its time in the more distant parts of its orbit, due to the fact that it travels much more slowly when further away from the Sun.
* It would be significantly brighter at perihelion (and moving faster), which means that the chances of detecting it would be a lot higher.

The Planet 9 hypothesis is based on the fact that a small group of objects beyond the Kuiper Belt have orbits that are (relatively) closely aligned, and this suggests that an undiscovered massive object is perturbing them, and preventing their orbits from randomly precessing across the entire Solar System. These objects have effectively become "de-coupled" from the influence of the known giant planets, which is why some astronomers are convinced that this hypothetical "Planet 9" is responsible. After running hundreds (and possibly thousands) of simulations, the "best fit" (based on observations and orbital characteristics of these distant objects) is a planet with a highly elliptical orbit (perihelion around 200-250AUs, and aphelion over 1000AUs) that is inclined to the plane of the Solar System by roughly 30 degrees, and with a masss around ten times that of Earth. However, these simulations are not able to predict exactly WHERE in its orbit the planet will be. Another problem is that the more distant part of its orbit (where it is more likely to be located at the present time) is calculated to be right in front of the Milky Way (as seen from Earth). This is a problem because there are literally millions of stars in the same line of sight, and therefore it is extremely difficult to pick out a very faint, slow moving planet in the same field of view!
edit on 10-1-2017 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Icarus Rising

I think you have misunderstood the scientific community somewhat.

Theoretical physicists and astronomers, do not require anybodies permission to do mathematical modelling. If such persons want to do mathematical predictions, they have only to access the data that exists on the subject, and make some equations to answer their questions, based on the data which has been retrieved so far.

The ONLY blockage to doing so, is when there is not enough specific data to work from. As it happens though, estimated orbital plots and hypotheses about its magnitude, current position and so on, have ALREADY been made. The difficulty with actually pointing a telescope at it is, that its current position in its orbit, may place it in such a space, that it is lit from behind by the streak of diamond dust that is the Milky Way, from this angle. If that is the case, then this would be somewhat like trying to find a hovering lump of coal, at night, backlit by a an entire cities worth of twinkling lights. The difficulties presented by trying to find a dim thing, in amongst several billion billion bright things, cannot be overstated.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Good spot Icarus Rising! Yes I agree, if you translate that statement, perhaps 'theyre' laying the foundation to at some point say "hey everyone we have a brown dwarf just about to pass and it will extinguish a significant amount of life in weeksmonths"...

This will have to happen at some point soon, as we do aactually have a brown dwarf (with trailing planets, comets and debris) about to pass..(lol)

Best estimates point to this year, a great deal pointing to September biblically, so much in fact, that it will either be September this year, or this was a purposeful ploy way back when.. it could be a classic case (the most classic) of hidden in plain site.

Terral03 .Has one eye on April may this year...zetatalk is in no way indicating px will be passing soon.. we know (if you've followed thread below) that ZT has to be lying about px's passage date, as they sternly deny, that what is seen from the ISS, is actually px, whiçh is not the case! This object has been verified as being authentic, I've also covered this in my thread.

So what I have been tracking since I first saw it in 2014, has immensely grown, in my relative ignorance (as I've never experienced a brown dwarf passing before) I can only attempt to predict. So far things are developing as I expected, although it's quickening at a scary rate. Simply I'll say that yes it could happen any day. Velocity increases after it breaks peri helion…I attempted to check my object at two o'clock against the ecliptic plane using star app, it was very sensitive btw, but clearly showed main object was above the ecliptic by quite a way, so even considering it may have been slightly out due to sensitivity, there was still a large margin.

I want to perform this test again to be sure, but all that needs saying is for everyone to get into safe geographic locations asap, out of major cities, away from the coast and karst zones, at good elevation with consideration for meteorites, hunting skills, knowledge, food, water filtered and at some point distilling is a must. Ozarks ISS popular for the US.

good luck everyone! Xx
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
...but all that needs saying is for everyone to get into safe geographic locations asap, out of major cities, away from the coast and karst zones, at good elevation with consideration for meteorites, hunting skills, knowledge, food, water filtered and at some point distilling is a must. Ozarks ISS popular for the US.

Or we can all do the sane thing and ignore you since you have no idea what it is you are talking about and the article has no corollary to the non-existent threat you mentioned.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

edit on 1/10/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
the search is on for planet X...

I will repeat my firm promise that looking in the area of the constellation Triangulum the northern one will/should yield positive results

planet X is definitely not Nibiru which is said to return around every 3,600 Earth Years
because the scientifically proven 'Planet X' @ 7-10 Earth masses and is theorized to have an Orbit between a 10-to-20 thousand years in duration

planet X must have been orbiting Sol for billions of years to have 'tilted' the Suns rotation Axis some 6 degrees different from the Solar Plane

planet X must be accreting hundreds of tons of ice & rock when passing through the Oort cloud and the Kuiper Belt all those thousands of orbits both into and out from the inner solar system

planet x I tend to think of as a Myth... created to explain destructions on Earth from some source in-the-heavens
I think I am alone here.... by saying the mythic planet X is actually the Earth Core that seems to behave autonomously & intelligently/as-in-Gaia
edit on th31148408213310022017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

planet X must have been orbiting Sol for billions of years to have 'tilted' the Suns rotation Axis some 6 degrees different from the Solar Plane
It did not tilt the Sun's axis.

planet X must be accreting hundreds of tons of ice & rock when passing through the Oort cloud and the Kuiper Belt all those thousands of orbits both into and out from the inner solar system
While it could well suffer impact events, but so what? Did you know that the Earth accretes 15-50 tons of stuff each year? What are you calling the "inner solar system?"

I think I am alone here.... by saying the mythic planet X is actually the Earth Core that seems to behave autonomously & intelligently/as-in-Gaia
Earth's core is affecting objects in the outer Solar System?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
If this planet exists, one has to wonder how such a large planet could have formed so far out (where, it is said, there's not enough material concentration for planet formation). Perhaps Planet 9 is a rogue planet that was caught gravitationally by the Sun.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
One theory is that Planet 9 is actually the missing "fifth giant planet" that simulations of the early Solar System seem to indicate should have been present. A close encounter with Jupiter could have raised the aphelion of this planet's orbit to a thousand AUs or more, and then the close passage of another star at some point in time after that could have raised the perihelion far beyond the realm of the other major planets. It's rather interesting that two separate theories indicate that an undiscovered large planet could exist beyond the Kuiper Belt....
edit on 11-1-2017 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
9TH PLANET15,000 year orbit?

Nibiru I think is what 3600 according to Sitchin?

interesting

No, this cannot be Sitchin's "Niburu". The calculated orbit of this potential planet brings it no closer than 5 time to 7 times farther out than Pluto. Its entire orbit is way way out there.

And they know it does NOT come into the solar system for the very same reason they think it exists...

...i.e., this potential planet discovery was made because of oddities in the orbits of several Kuiper Belt objects. Many of these Kuiper belt objects have eccentric elliptical orbits with the aphelion (the point in their orbit that they are farthest away from the Sun) being all on the same side of the Sun, This told them that something big might be out there tugging on the orbits of these Kuiper belt bodies.

So, if the presence of Planet 9 can be hypothesized because of how it affects the Kuiper belt, then the presence of Planet 9 having an orbit that brings it into the inner solar system every 15,000 years (or even every 3600 years), then we should see its effect on the orbits of the inner planets.

However, no such effect has ever been seen.

edit on 2017-1-12 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

That's sort of true and sort of untrue. It's not that they think the Sun has been tilted relative to the orbital plane of the planets, but rather the orbital plane of the planets is tilted relative to the Sun. The resulting effect might be the same, but the cause of that resulting effect is different.

I think the confusion goes back to this poorly named article a few months back:

Curious tilt of the sun traced to undiscovered planet

However, even though the name of the article says that the Sun has tilted, the body of the article explains it more clearly; it is the planets that are tilted, NOT the Sun. Here is an excerpt:

All of the planets orbit in a flat plane with respect to the sun, roughly within a couple degrees of each other. That plane, however, rotates at a six-degree tilt with respect to the sun—giving the appearance that the sun itself is cocked off at an angle.
So the Sun only appears to be the thing that is tilted .

Here's another article on the subject that is a little more clear about that aspect:

Did the Mysterious 'Planet Nine' Tilt the Solar System?

Except from the article:

Now, researchers suggest that Planet Nine's influence might have tilted the entire solar system except the sun.

"Planet Nine may have tilted the other planets over the lifetime of the solar system," said study lead author Elizabeth Bailey, an astrophysicist and planetary scientist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.
(color emphasis mine)

edit on 2017/1/12 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
double post
edit on 2017/1/12 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join