It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI arrests ex-Volkswagen official on fraud charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

In a new twist in Volkswagen’s diesel emissions cheating scandal, a high-profile ex-official for the automaker has been reportedly arrested by the FBI on charges of conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Oliver Schmidt, who headed Volkswagen’s regulatory compliance office in the United States from 2014 to March 2015

Schmidt and other Volkswagen executives have been accused of playing a role in the automaker’s “widespread conspiracy” to cover its emissions cheating from United States regulators

Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay more than $15.3 billion to resolve civil claims with US regulators so far.

Source
Long story short, Volkswagen management decided to outfit VW cars in the United States with devices that hid the true amount of vehicle emissions from emissions tests so that they could pass. What basically ended up happening was that a ton of cars were driving around the United States while producing emissions beyond legal limits.
I was a little sad when I first heard about this, as Volkswagen will always have a special place in my heart, being the manufacturer of my very first car. I miss my little Jetta... Volkswagen really screwed up here, and they screwed up at epic proportions. They've already agreed to pay over $15 BILLION to resolve civil claims, and now a former Volkswagen head is arrested by the FBI on fraud charges relating to this incident. Good, I say. Arrest everyone involved for staining the name of the Volkswagen brand.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Uncle Sam be like...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Hah, its okay to arrest CEOs when the competition threatens the US auto industry tycoons.

Sort of bloodless coup, intervention and regime change, without firing a shot.

And the FBI, a national policing agency turned global meddler.

Maybe they should come home and arrest some of our own banksters and Corporate heads of state.
edit on 9-1-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The question is, why is only VW targeted by the US?

Transgressions by other manufacturers

The VW scandal more generally raised awareness over the high levels of pollution being emitted by diesel vehicles built by a wide range of carmakers, including Volvo, Renault, Mercedes, Jeep, Hyundai, Citroen, BMW, Mazda, Fiat, Ford and Peugeot.[24][25] Independent tests carried out by ADAC proved that, under normal driving conditions, diesel vehicles including the Volvo S60, Renault's Espace Energy and the Jeep Renegade, exceeded legal European emission limits for nitrogen oxide (NOx) by more than 10 times.[25] Researchers have criticized the inadequacy of current regulations and called for the use of a UN-sanctioned test called Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedures that better reflects real-life driving conditions. The test is not due to come into force until 2017, with critics saying that car firms have lobbied fiercely to delay its implementation due to the high cost of meeting stricter environmental controls.

And this part is missing in the english version of the wiki article. But i guess it´s only a coincidence...

Frühere Manipulationen bei Abgastests und -vorrichtungen

Obgleich der VW-Abgas-Skandal großes Aufsehen erregt, handelt es sich keineswegs um den ersten Fall von Manipulationen bei Abgasuntersuchungen. Vergleichbare Fälle gab es bereits in der Vergangenheit: Bereits 1974 zahlte VW eine Strafe von 120.000 Dollar wegen eines Verstoßes gegen den amerikanischen Clean Air Act. Vier 1973er Modelle von VW nutzten Temperatursensoren zur Anpassung der Emissionen, ohne dass diese Anpassung bei der Zulassung angegeben worden wäre. Die Zahlung geschah im Rahmen einer außergerichtlichen Einigung mit der EPA, ein Rückruf fand nicht statt. Ähnliche umgebungstemperaturabhängige Defeat Devices fand die EPA im selben Jahr auch bei Chrysler, Ford, General Motors und Toyota.[298][299] 1995 wurde General Motors zu einer Strafzahlung in Höhe von 11 Millionen sowie Spenden von 9 Mio. US-Dollar verpflichtet und musste 470.000 Fahrzeuge der Marke Cadillac mit den Modellen Deville, Eldorado, Fleetwood und Seville zurückrufen und für 25 Mio. Dollar umrüsten, nachdem bekannt wurde, dass die Steuersoftware ihre Funktionen zur Emissionskontrolle deaktivierte, sofern das Fahrzeug sich nicht in einer Prüfstandsumgebung befand.[300] Dies wurde darüber ermittelt, ob die Klimaanlage eingeschaltet war oder nicht. GM bestritt die Vorwürfe und verwies auf den Interpretationsspielraum der Regelungen.[301] Während die Einigung mit der EPA über die Strafzahlungen außergerichtlich geschah, wurde die Rückrufaktion gerichtlich angeordnet, womit dieser Fall der erste ist, in dem dies aus Umweltschutzgründen geschah.[299] 1998 wurde die Ford Motor Company zu Zahlungen von insgesamt 7,8 Millionen US-Dollar verpflichtet, nachdem bekannt wurde, dass 60.000 Fahrzeuge des Kastenwagens Ford Econoline (Modell 1997) während der 20-minütigen EPA-Prüfstandsroutine einwandfrei arbeiteten, jedoch im Regelbetrieb auf der Straße sämtliche softwareseitigen Funktionen zur Emissionskontrolle deaktivierten und damit den erlaubten Abgasausstoß überstiegen.[302] Die Kosten setzten sich aus einer Strafe und dem Kauf von Emissionszertifikaten von jeweils 2,5 Mio. Dollar, einer Rückrufaktion im Wert von 1,3 Mio. Dollar und Spenden an Umweltschutzprojekte über 1,5 Mio. Dollar zusammen.[299] Ebenfalls 1998 verpflichtete sich Honda gegenüber der EPA zu Strafzahlungen in Höhe von 17,1 Millionen US-Dollar und Nachrüstungen im Wert von mindestens 250 Millionen Dollar, weil in 1,6 Millionen Fahrzeugen (Accord, Civic, Prelude, Odyssey und Acura) auf Kosten der Abgaswerte ein System zur Erkennung von Fehlzündungen deaktiviert wurde.[302] Bei einem dritten Fall im Jahr 1998 wurden sieben Hersteller von LKW bzw. LKW-Dieselmotoren (Caterpillar, Cummins Engine, Detroit Diesel, Mack Trucks, Navistar, Renault Trucks und Volvo Trucks) zu einer Strafzahlung von insgesamt 83,4 Millionen US-Dollar verpflichtet, weil 1,3 Mio. Fahrzeuge mit einer Abschalteinrichtung (Defeat Devices) ausgestattet waren, die softwaregesteuert dafür sorgten, dass Abgasgrenzwerte nur während der Prüfungen der EPA eingehalten wurden. Die sieben Hersteller einigten sich mit der EPA darauf, für die nötigen Umrüstungen rund eine Milliarde Dollar auszugeben.[301][303] Im Jahr 2007 erwiesen sich bis zu 60.000 von insgesamt 170.000 in Deutschland nachgerüsteten Dieselrußfiltern als wirkungslos. Die Deutsche Umwelthilfe hatte zuvor dem Bundesumweltministerium vorgeworfen, ein ganzes Jahr zu spät auf ein Schweizer Gutachten reagiert zu haben, das die Wirkungslosigkeit vieler Filter stichhaltig nachgewiesen hatte.[304] Bei der Aufklärung dieses Falles beteiligt war Axel Friedrich, der als Mitbegründer des International Council on Clean Transportation auch zur Aufdeckung des Abgasskandals des Jahres 2015 beitrug.

Please use a translator.

Link

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i have said it before - and i shall say it again :

the hysteria over road going deisel engine emmissions is a farce

reasd the specs for marine " heavy oil " - and weep

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
the reason that this entire " scandal " has come about is :

people do not want to drive a neutered car with sub par power and torque

every mercedes benz i had recieved modified hi-pressure pump and injectors

instant extra HP and torque - emmissions and fuel ecconomy be dammed

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Oliver Schmidt, who headed Volkswagen’s regulatory compliance office in the United States from 2014 to March 2015

It seems a bit odd to me that this fella was put in charge oh just before the sh#t hit the fan. Kinda like somebody knew what was coming and offered some schmuck a nice promotion.

new topics

top topics

join