It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of London students demand white philosophers be removed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: Urantia1111
Ate you suggesting European universities cant study anything outside of Europe? We have American Studies courses in the UK are you saying all those students have to go to the US?

Im saying go to the schools that teach what youre interested in learning.

I dont go into McDonalds and demand they abolish the Big Mac and start making Whoppers.

I go where they HAVE Whoppers.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
And these people have gone to the School of Oriental and African Studies, their argument is, they want whoppers have gone where the whoppers are meant to be, and been given a fruit salad. There's nothing wrong with fruit salad, but its not what they paid for.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

And these people have gone to the School of Oriental and African Studies, their argument is, they want whoppers have gone where the whoppers are meant to be, and been given a fruit salad. There's nothing wrong with fruit salad, but its not what they paid for.

So why the push to remove white influence in philosophy? Cannot the Africans and Asians just be added to the curriculum?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Orwells Ghost
It isn't any different, they will still be studying European philosophers, they just want the emphasis on Asian and African ones. There is nothing controversial in what they want. Its just being twisted by people with an agenda.

Perhaps the source is questionable, but the article states that the student's want these European philosopher's banned from their curriculum. It sure sounds like if they have their way they in fact won't be studying European philosophers.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Wow.....well then,
If you moved to London for Theology, all I can say is, that from what I've read................you must be extraordinarily wealthy. I can't even begin to imagine fading that cost of living.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells GhostThe student union at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) insists that when studying philosophy “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS
I assume you're talking about the cost of buying a house in the central districts.
It is actually possible for poor people to rent rooms quite cheaply, especially if they live in the outer suburbs and commute in.
From the assumptions you are making, you seem to think that London is a city of black millionaires, filling up the local university with their children, and that is not the case.

edit on 9-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Cheaply is relative, even the cheap areas are expensive compared with the rest of the country. London has an active policy of forcing those in need of social housing to give up their jobs and move to northern cities. Social cleansing at its best.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Lets not stop there, it must be "equal".. Part ways with every White possession/invention you own, if you are not White. Can't have anything laying around that might remind you of evil Whitey. Strap on your deer skin loin cloth and get to sharpening that stick.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Ha, ha, no........not black millionaires, and its not my "assumption" but rather a picture that's been painted for me by articles written by others. They paint a picture of London being a city of mostly millionaires making big bucks in finance, the stock markets, law and insurance. And the picture they've painted for me is that most of the cities residents are from somewhere else, from far flung regions of the former empire, Africa, Pakistan, India and more from India and from the Middle East, and Indonesia and Burma.

I've done a big study on the Empire...................it fascinates me.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Orwells GhostThe student union at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) insists that when studying philosophy “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia.

That makes perfect sense, but according to the subject matter that's not what they're asking for is it?
edit on 9-1-2017 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
If I went to study, European Studies at Uni, but the emphasis was on Eastern philosophers, I wouldn't accept that, id be pissed of.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
But you must notice that your mental picture has at least two distinct components ("wealthy people", "immigrants") which are independent and almost incompatible, which means that both components are only giving you part of the story.
Draw the analogy with New York. New York contains Trump Tower AND Harlem, and much else besides.

edit on 9-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost
Well that's a direct quote from the student union, so id say yes it is.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

I hope you are correct. On further reading I suspect the original RT source in the OP is worded in the most alarming fashion possible. This bears a closer look. I've found the Student Union's "list of demands" that is the basis for this hubbub, it's an interesting read:

soasunion.org...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

If I went to study, European Studies at Uni, but the emphasis was on Eastern philosophers, I wouldn't accept that, id be pissed of.

You'd have to be pissed at yourself then. My guess is, before enrolling in the Uni of your choice (or that your school grades allow) you would have read up on the course you wanted to take and perhaps, just PERHAPS, the content of said course at the Uni you were going too?

Or, i have missed the point and people don't bother doing that anymore, correct?

In all subjects through my life that i have studied i'm pretty certain what i was going to be studying was both known and relevant before i actually made the decision
edit on 2017-01-09T15:52:11-06:002017Mon, 09 Jan 2017 15:52:11 -0600bMonday5201America/Chicago173 by corblimeyguvnor because: typo

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

...and all the university has to do is say "No.", if the students don't like it, they can go to another university.

Can you imagine the uproar if they were to actually do something as shortsightedly stupid as this? It'd make most student protesters look like they weren't even trying...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Whatever happened to universities being the centres of intellectual excellence and exploration? The place where young minds are opened to the possibilities of academic rigour?

When I was a student the causes seemed to be world changing - things like apartheid, women's rights, real ale and rugby. Today the causes are trivial and silly, where speakers are banned from campuses because their views are challenging and students self-narrow their learning.

God help us all if today’s students are tomorrow’s leaders and academics.

edit on 9/1/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor
The whole point of the student union, is to speak for the students, these students are saying the course is too european centric and the school has taken that on board, courses can change in line with what modern students want to learn. Its all part of the process.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join