It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Correlation Between Legal Medical Marijuana States and Traffic Fatalities Is Shocking

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: dawnstar
just wondering if the med mj is being substituted for more potent pain killers or such and if that might have something to do with it also???

I watched a video not long ago about how pain killers are contributing to opioid addiction. cannabis seems to be a relatively safe alternative to opiate based pain medication. but Im not a doctor either, so...

There are also studies showing that it can treat opiate addiction. Alcohol addiction too.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

There's just something soothing about driving the back roads, having the windows down, shades on, and looking at the trees and scenery while puffing. It's magical.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I got done for drink driving about 15 years ago, havent touched a drop since. I replaced drinking with smoking weed.

In the 15 years hence, I have never had an accident, not a speeding ticket, a parking ticket - nothing. In fact my wife has said several times she prefers me driving stoned as I am ultra cautious.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There is a time and a place for being soothed.

That time is not when you are driving, that place is not the drivers seat. Trust me, I am as much of a fan of the herb as the next fellow, but its just down right irresponsible to drive with psychoactive chemicals in your bloodstream. I am sure its great fun, but it will never be anything other than bloody appalling to me that people choose to take that kind of risk.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I never asked for your approval; nor am I expecting it. You just asked why people did it. I simply explained why I happen to do it. Driving the back roads with the tunes cranked up is one of my greatest joys in life.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm sorry but I live in Oregon and I can't take this seriously while alcohol is still killing people in driving accidents daily, why is weed on that same level? 50s are calling they want you to watch reefer madness

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: bassman89

You should slow down and reread the thread. Weed isn't being put on the same level as alcohol.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: dawnstar
just wondering if the med mj is being substituted for more potent pain killers or such and if that might have something to do with it also???

I watched a video not long ago about how pain killers are contributing to opioid addiction. cannabis seems to be a relatively safe alternative to opiate based pain medication. but Im not a doctor either, so...

There are also studies showing that it can treat opiate addiction. Alcohol addiction too.

Ironically, I was just watching a documentary on Viceland last night where they went to a place in Maine where they assist people through the withdrawal process from opiates and opioids using nothing but smoked and vaped cannabis, RSO and teach them how to grow their own. It was pretty interesting and while there's limited scientific data supporting it and most of the information is anecdotal, it certainly seemed to be working. At least for the people ther at the time the camera crew and interviewer were on site. They also spoke to a Harvard researcher/MD who has worked with Maine's opioids and opiate epidemic for the last decade who while expressing some reservations because the people running the retreat were inexperienced, untrained and unlicensed but admitted that the weed would definitely take care of multiple withdrawal symptoms, primarily the anxiety,agitation, nausea, stomach cramping and especially the sleeplessness. I'd really like to see the Feds get their heads out of their asses and spend some money towards further research into the multitude of medical uses. Millions of people would benefit, from the actual recipients of medical grade products to the local and state economies who would benefit from the tax money. It's a win win for everybody. Well, except for the shareholders in pharmaceutical manufacturers but screw 'em. They've made 10's of thousands of dollars of me the last decade. People need to be able to make their own decisions about the medications that work best for them and not a 3rd or 4th party.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Totally puts a new spin on the Gateway theory don't it? Marijuana is a gateway to recovery from drugs

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Disappointingly, it seems I have lost the work (along with quite a bit more). I wasn't sure that I would bother posting it on ATS, but I wanted to locate it either way.

I'm not too happy about it. That's a lot of work just.. down the drain.

Well, some of the conclusions:

It didn't always affect individuals in the expected fashion. There was a surprising amount of diversity. Enough that it actually makes it quite difficult to use as a medicine in some cases as well as proposing any overarcing legislation (like bringing it under the umbrella of DUI), at our current state of knowledge. However, it was abundantly clear that in many cases, commonly held impacts (like driving ability) were more benign than expected. In some cases, it had the opposite expected result.

The most important factor seemed to be the ratio of cannibinoids. Everything else was secondary, including consumption method and the typical parameters (like THC or CBD content on its own).

There can be a significantly negative interaction between cannibis and narcotic pain meds. This, however, was actually that certain methods of consumption and certain cannibinoid ratios can negate the efficacy of the opioids. This also seemed connected to the cannibinoid ratios, however, data is limited usually to just the major cannibinoids, making solid conclusions difficult.

Differences from batch to batch, even with the exact same strain, can yield massively differing efficacy. Taking a strain that has no negation effects to one that does.

Importantly, cannabis is significantly less effective than typical opiods in dealing with certain types of pain (bone pain for one), regardless of ratios or consumption method. When combined with the effect of negation, this can lead to an entire day of greatly increased pain.

Consumption method can mitigate the negation, but not eliminate it.

There were more, but basically, my overall conclusions were that *all* cannibinoids play a major role and content of only one or two (high THC or high CBD) is not as relevant as the ratios of all of the cannibinoids in play. Due to the lack of consistency inherent in a plant, it is difficult to truly pin down the "right" amounts for a given treatment, even with great control over growth cycle, humidity, etc. And despite being an incredible option for some, for others it can actually lead to a degradation in quality of life, due in large part to increased awareness of pain combined with negation of current opioid medication (if present). Getting that last one even considered has been a fools errand.

I believe its also important to consider, in aspects like driving, the comparison between being "stoned" or being in great pain. In many cases, the latter may result in much, much more distraction than the former. In some body chemistries with certain cannibinoid ratios, it not only managed the distracting pain but improved driving ability.
edit on 11-1-2017 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Thank you for that information I found it very interesting and it confirms what I had felt in my own mind regarding cannabis being used across the board to manage pain...I felt that in some cases it will actually increase pain awareness ...because of my own personal understanding of it.

ETA.... and just food for thought the different effects may have as much to do with an individual's body/brain chemistry as it does with the different cannabinoid ratios.... there is certainly a lot of variables to consider

edit on 11-1-2017 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2017 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ROBOTNINJADRAGON
Weren't self driving cars supposed to fix all this, so that we could remain intoxicated 24/7?

Unless it's a Microsoft Self Driving car that is.

Also, self driving cars present an opportunity for Marijuana "Booze Cruise" equivalents, Reefer Rides?!. Perhaps B-Real could take the idea to market.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Just wanted to say that I saw that you addressed the differences in body chemistry in one of your previous posts. In my opinion that is where the greatest variations of effects come from.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join