It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Court Upholds Baby's Non-resuscitation Order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
A British judge has rejected a request to lift a non-resuscitation order he had imposed in the case of a seriously ill premature baby. Charlotte Wyatt, who is now 15 months old, was born three months premature with serious brain, lung and kidney damage. The original ruling was made on October 7th; at that time the court heard that Charlotte "had no feelings other than continuing pain". According to the baby's parents, her condition has now improved, but her doctors say this is due to getting the treatment right rather than any actual improvement that might signal a real recovery.

news.bbc.co.uk
The parents of a seriously-ill baby have failed to get a court order lifted giving doctors permission not to resuscitate her if she stops breathing.

Darren Wyatt, 33, and wife Debbie, 23, of Portsmouth, must now bring evidence to a further hearing on the future of 15-month-old Charlotte.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A sad tale all around. It would seem that, even if Charlotte manages to survive, her quality of life will never be anywhere near what most people would consider acceptable.

I can hear the outcry already: "Who can judge quality of life? Who can say what she may feel or what joy she may bring to others?" Which is very true. If she were my child, though, I would hope to have the strength to make the right decision and end her suffering.

The Wyatt's are described as "devout Christians", which may (or indeed may not) help explain their position.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 28-1-2005 by Azeari of the Radiant Eye]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This child is desparately ill and will die form her condition at a very young age.

I can understand the parents wanting to hold onto her as long as possible - what parent wouldn't. But the report I read said this child experiences nothing but pain.

Hard and cruel as it is to say it, but death will be a release for this tormented baby. Dctors should be the ones to say if treatment should be given. They have a dty to care, but also not to prolong suffering.

This child will slaip away soon. I hope it is quick and merciful. Then the parents can be satisfied they did the best for her and nature took its course.

new topics

join