It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meryl Streep's Golden Globe Trump Rant - Hollywood in the Spotlight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

If she only knew, or maybe she does..

Hollywood, on display.

But why do they wield any political power or influence again..?

They're actors. Not politicians.

Note the reaction of the audience.

But if we end up in a type of roaring 30's renaissance under Trump, what will they do then, bemoan the dawning of a new age where they are just ACTORS, and not real idols or icons or political power brokers.

Very interesting imho, the whole dynamic and narrative that's being spun.

What if it's not reality, what if it's just a presumption that's rooted in self righteous judgementalism and condemnation?

Trump hasn't even taken office yet and it's not the end of the world.

What kind of world are people like Streep trying to paint?

Don't we all want what's best?

I think it's ridiculous.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
'I lost my voice screaming at Trump on the Telescreen'!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Well, actors and actresses hold opinions. You don't have to be a politician to object to politics. Trump has certainly got the luvvies all in a spin.

Politicising a celerity event just diminishes the event. Is she a modern day Jane Fonda? Er, no.

Golden Globes? What are they. I don't follow these celebrity ego fests.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
OMG. Shes lost her marbles!

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The problem here, I'm seeing is that She is using Her Power Wealth and Fame to do the same thing she's accusing Trump of doing. But much more tearful, where it hits the spot. Just like movies hit the 'spot' and bring people to laughter or tears.

It's her Opinion. That's it. And being in the big club, of course everyone is going to agree with her because... That's what people do in the Big Club or they're ostracized.

The second point being, everyone makes mistakes. And sometimes they're not what we think they are. I just see this as more of an 'Im Right' and because I'm famous you need to believe everything I say or you're not like we are. To me that's a very narrow view of the world and of people in general.

I doubt what she's saying will make a dent in anything, this too shall pass.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

Push it...

www.catholics4trump.com...
edit on am131amMon, 09 Jan 2017 00:48:56 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: antar
OMG. Shes lost her marbles!

Clinton's historic loss drove her insane. She's not well.

She's being hailed as a hero right now in many circles, and Trump's twitter is being bombarded to try to provoke him into striking back rashly.

It's sad the whole thing, from Hollywood to New York to Washinton, to CNN, ABC, etc etc.

I don't think they're based in reality anymore or even know what's going on or what's happened. They don't understand it, so it drove them insane and they're still running from Clinton's campaign talking points.

Trump made a mistake, and he'd take it back if he could.

It's merciless, her position, without mercy.

It's unChristian.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I always thought it a sad reflection on western society that some of its highest paid individuals are people that pretend to be something they are not, a trend which often flows on into their real lives

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Some people here really are spare-parts. For people who supposedly don't care what those "Left-Coast-Lefty-Libs" think, there sure are a lot of you spending considerable time watching, digesting and commenting on what they are up to.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Because they are citizens,,,,,just like you.
You do what you do, and they do what they do.
They have the big microphone and you don't.
I see no issue with these people at all for their opinions because in the end, they are their opinions. Just like yours are yours.
If you want to discuss the microphone itself then that is another matter, maybe the real matter. That matter as I see it is simple. That the American people have been subjected to and indoctrinated into a celebrity culture.
The question as I see it is how did this happen. Did it happen by nefarious intent? Well, sure, but I don't think entirely.
I think money plays the biggest role in the microphone. Money that generates in this system because of that celebrity culture. Profits. Mass Popularity. Money flows. And people flock.

No, don't blame Meryl Steep. If you want to place the blame, place it on the microphone and its bag full of money. Blame it on Capitalism. Its all commodity brother.
edit on 31America/ChicagoMon, 09 Jan 2017 00:58:13 -0600Mon, 09 Jan 2017 00:58:13 -060017012017-01-09T00:58:13-06:001200000058 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Perhaps we should just stick our fingers in our ears and yell lalalalalalala instead?

Oh wait, that's what Liberals do. Never mind.
edit on 9-1-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Trump made a mistake, but this has all the hallmarks of a merciless bullying on her part or as someone else pointed out, she's doing the very thing she's accusing Trump of doing and isn't that so often the case with judgements and condemnations. She's drinking poison and saying I'll hurt you. It's a type of sickness and character disorder, but this evening she's being lauded everywhere!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

...Or ignore them? After all, according to you they are valueless, feted, spoiled Libtards...so why bother?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Oh Lord, the pandering!

" As my good friend Princess Leia would say "...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone should be entitled to their opinion of it

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It looked like Mel Gibson, Colin Farrell, and Vince Vaughn didn't look to happy about her speech.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As long as we remember that they're just actors, then it's all good.

I think she tarnished the event and that he tearful "lamentation" is born of some sort of terrible loss that runs deeper than meets the eye at first glance.

So she tried to use the one thing that Trump did most likely to outrage and line people up against him, and then tell the press to rip him apart.

I think it was a pathetic display, very childish and selfish, and perhaps something deeper, some other kind of defeat, which drove her over the edge and she hasn't been able to return to the real world.

I think it's terrible what the press have done, and what Hollywood thinks that it's owed.

They are actors and sure, they're entitled to their opinion, but this notion that they are the epitome of modern culture and society is false, and it's a good thing that people are waking up to it, Hollywood included.

It's a pretty seedy town and not necessarily anything to be admired.

People are people.

She however felt that she was speaking for all of Hollywood and much of the American people who are still in shock over Clinton's historic loss.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: turbo8
It looked like Mel Gibson, Colin Farrell, and Vince Vaughn didn't look to happy about her speech.

And anyone of them might have done the same. Just differently. But tonight their public microphone was not nearly as big as hers. It's not which celebrity, it's how big is the microphone.
Yours and mine are very very small, the microphone that they have is very very big. Are we to deny them their rights of free speech just because this system of popular culture has handed it to them instead of you and me?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork

They're actors. Not politicians.

We are all 'politicians'.
The difference is that their mouths come with microphones attached.
As for their 'influence', if her fans are willing to accept/imbibe her opinions, then perhaps they are better off having someone else do their 'thinking' (and voting) for them? *__-
Yeah, I think that it's their 'microphonic organ' that seems to elevate their whispers into Charlton Heston during his sane years...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I think most Hollywood types probably think they have more influence on the average Americans consciousness than they actually do. While I enjoy watching movies I don't care about any of the actors political stances, anymore than I do any of the football players I watched today

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join