It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A meme and your opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

So the following meme appeared on my FB feed. Apparently there were quite a few people who did not understand it and distorted the meaning. I know what it is trying to say but can anyone see what makes it so hard to understand?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Memes do a terrible job of explaining complex issues.

Muslims generally don't support terrorism outright. But the vast majority of Muslims do support killing gays, death as punishment for apostasy, honor killings, and other views antithetical to western notions of liberty and free expression.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but Muslims by and large support the same ideologies within Islam that are use as an excuse for the atrocities they commit. I guess if you're not the one pulling the trigger it's easy to call yourself a "moderate Muslim".

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigdaddycruel6699

My understanding is that it is using an absurd argument to counter and highlight the absurd initial assertion.
edit on 8-1-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
There forgetting/omitting the female suicide bomber, misogynists. sheesh

Or feminists? this is getting confusing.
edit on 1/8/2017 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigdaddycruel6699
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

To expand a bit on what I posted, this meme isn't about Islam, terrorism or men. You could replace the buzzwords with almost anything and the logical fallacies/absurdities would still remain.

edit on Sun Jan 8 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

link   
The meme does state "and terrorist are aaalways men".
Eat that one grammar nazi's

link   

Ban memes!

Haha. Just kidding.
The possible positive aspect of it: it will make some folks think.
It's only value is wit. But it replaces one dualistic, separating viewpoint, with another. Maybe that's it's point.

We are more alike, than we are not-alike.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert
Just to clarify. I usually do not agree with Introvert, but in this case I do.
But some how my grammar and understanding came into the fray. Not really a good basis for argument

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Title of this thread..."A meme and your opinion".
You asked,
I answered.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jappee

I corrected one word to be helpful, move on, it wasn't that bad just wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I dont agree with it but do find it amusing and got a chuckle, Im not sure if I "get it" per say.

It would seem to me like its trying to point out one arguments failings by using a totally bogus counterpoint.

Again I dont agree with it but I always appreciate some clever satire

Edit: Another good point is that we dont need Muslims to perpetuate the species but it would be very difficult for babies to happen without men
edit on 8/1/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jappee
There forgetting/omitting the female suicide bomber, misogynists. sheesh

Or feminists? this is getting confusing.

It is "they're"..not there..

And introvert understood it, so why is it so hard for you to understand?

I must digress about the misspelling.
So you tell me why is it so hard for me to understand what introvert does understand?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Actual humor seems to have completely abandoned left leaning folks approximately from the time Jon Stewart left the Daily Show.

I'm pretty sure thats a conspiracy. Maybe an important one..

As for this meme specifically, I think semi-accurate claims are needed to prevent my mind from focusing solely on the wrong information instead of any humor that might be present.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

So the following meme appeared on my FB feed. Apparently there were quite a few people who did not understand it and distorted the meaning. I know what it is trying to say but can anyone see what makes it so hard to understand?

I am probably reading it wrong, but let's reword it a bit. This is what I am hearing.
"I think we should ban Muslims." 'I think we should ban men."
"What?" "There are 3.5 billion men." "So." "There are 1.6 billion Muslims."
"But most terrorist are Muslims." "But all terrorist are men/wo-men."
"But what you are saying is just stupid!" "Yeah." "What you are saying is just stupid!"

At this point they agree, and then agree to disagree.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Reem Slaleh Raiyshi , there i just falsified the claim " terrorists are always men "

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

My BS Red-Light (tm) went off at the ignorance or, most likely the lie that all terrorists are men.
One lie does poison the entire batch!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
can't help but wonder what the religion of the first guy might be?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, this one isn't even true to begin with.. there have been no female terrorists? Beyond the violent ones that do exist I would also consider some feminists terrorists, simply because I dislike them that much..

And while it would be hard to justify an outright ban on just Muslims specifically in the US which was always touted as a melting pot it's way harder to justify the Islamic immigration to Europe.. which is an agenda driven disaster being used as a tactical divide and conquer stratagem by the powers that be.

And by the way, Muslims should have specific terrorist genes by now. Haven't you heard of epigenetics? Yeah I'm not kidding, even progressives jumped on this bandwagon a while back and claimed that blacks have inherited the trauma of slavery in their genes.. seemingly not even conscious of how accepting this would also discredit all their relativistic and solipsistic views on race and genetics.. But it's ok, liberals tend to cherry pick which science to believe in.. I'll give you guys a hint, if it disagrees with their ideology they'll gladly ignore it. If it supports their claims like in this case, they'll frivolously jump on board completely unaware of their own hypocrisy.

So following this logic, Middle Eastern Muslims should have all manner of savage genes from centuries of warfare and aggression. Ergo, terrorist genes.. And would trauma be all that American blacks inherit? There's much merit to the idea of collective and even genetic trauma like this. It would explain a lot, the black population is essentially dysfunctional and crippled in a sense. This may also extend to the collective subconscious psyche of the black race. If we acknowledged and understood these things maybe we could get at the root of the problem and solve it through understanding instead of being petrified of even discussing the subject of race scientifically.

And how long would this type of thing stick? It wasn't long ago European countries were constantly at war with each other. And this pretty much goes for most civilisations. And we all had slaves too. When does the so called trauma disappear? Because Europeans are pretty peaceful as far as I know. And while the slave trade was just getting started in North America Europeans were fighting the 30 year war. While I think there's merit to the idea, there are also many questions that need to be answered. I say this to provide some skepticism but also to somewhat ridicule the idea of "terrorist genes".

And oh, the way in which these leftists are using this information is fairly disgusting, they're using it as if they were apologists, in a very patronizing way.. like: see, blacks are unfit to take care of themselves and are handicapped even by their genetics they need government assistance and to be looked down on and treated as children.. Enabling a defeated attitude and a victim mentality. They need that liberal plantation.. they need that dysfunctional lower class, it's very important to them. The elite purposely sabotaged black communities for this very reason.

top topics

join