It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Comic Book Fans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm reading through stories in the Marvel Universe, what story did you think was the best?

Thanks in advance

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
deadpool, marvel zombies, secret wars 2 all pretty good

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

The best ever is DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths from the 80's.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
my favorites

batman dark knight first series by miller
superman/joker emporer, drawn by ed mcguinness. that story is so great. the ending is insane. they have a trade of it.
cosmic odyssey by mignola
hellboy by mignola
one punch man
thor by walt simonson

hellboy proves mignola knows his okkult history.
thor was so great, they put simonson in the film.

one punch man came out of nowhere and the manga is better than the anime in a way, because the story telling is top notch.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Cool idea for a thread.

Secret Wars 2 for me as well.

When Spider Man explained the concept of having to "take a dump" to the Beyonder,it almost made ME fall off the toilet.

Inferno-spanning the X-Men (and some other mutant titles) was another favorite of mine.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Awesome just got the whole story, thanks

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Any chance to be more specific?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Also,look around and see if you can find people selling collections of Wizard magazine-not for profit reasons,but the interviews with the writers of many comics + everything else comics related.

Every issue is a time capsule and I hate that it is no longer in print.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

lol-I remember my friends and I in the mid eighties,early nineties dragging each other through the mud over DC vs Marvel.

I was a Marvel fanboy.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Marvel.
World war hulk was pretty good.
Secret Wars as well.

DC.
Darknight
Kingdom Come. The art alone is worth getting it.

Cosmic Odyssey
The Killing Joke
Batman: Year One
All Star Superman

edit on 8-1-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I can't get cosmic odyssey, annoying as ----

Edit: Magazine, I have it now, translation error

edit on 201718 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Really?

I thought it was great. The whole part with Forager risking his life and dying. And Batman punching Orion and screaming, "HIS NAME WAS FORAGER" was great, after Orion called Forager a bug.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I am really more of a DC fan.

Marvel: Deadpool

DC: Sandman and A death in the Family

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Lost in translation, I couldn't get ahold of the magazine, I have it now

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It depends on what you are after.

To me the Dark Pheonix saga was the best sweeping story.

God Loves, Man Kills was great.

As a GenXer I have a sweet spit for the Age of Apocalypse.

The Nick Furry's" Secret War" (the one where he takes a team to Latveria, not the mega cross over events) was also grand.

Marvels was stunning.

Again it depends on your tastes.

One of my least favorites was One More day. It ruined Spiderman as a selfless character.

These are just (as you asked) Marvel Stories.

I particularly like the entire Strangers in Paradise series.
edit on 8-1-2017 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2017 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
1. "The Age of Apocalypse" storyline in the X-Men related comics. Professor X's son Legion goes back in time to prevent his dad's dream from failing: by killing Magneto when he and his dad were still friends! But Legion screws up, kills the wrong guy, and the future that we know of disintegrates. Apocalypse awakens early because of the fight between those mutants and promptly takes over the world. "The Age of Apocalypse" storyline describes what happens next.

2. DC's catastrophe storylines like "Knightfall" (which was the fall of Batman) & the "Death of Superman" storyline.

3. A lot of old storylines from Image Comics, particularly the "ShadowHawk" series. An attorney (or something similar) is physically destroyed by thugs from the underworld and injected with HIV! He snaps, loses his job and all sense of reason, except the desires to destroy criminals and to find a cure for the disease. He ruthlessly breaks the backs of any criminals he faces, which leads him to be seen as a villain by law enforcement. Some of his enemies are intense, including a racist supervillain (ShadowHawk is a black man). He keeps getting weaker & more desperate as the series goes on

3b. The early "Spawn" series (also from Image comics). The US military (or a defense contractor, I forgot) had found a gate to Hell and found that it was made of a material that could morph into anything! So they made a deal with its leader to give him one of their greatest soldiers in exchange for some of that material. Of course, that soldier (a special ops or mercenary) didn't know anything about this deal, went on a mission, and was betrayed by his team. He awakens in Hell and sells his soul to its leader so he can be resurrected to see his family.

But the cruel joke is on him. He awakens with a massive charred body, a living symbiotic outfit, and a mutilated face. He was resurrected 5 years after he died and his wife is now married to one of his friends! And even worse, he finds his grave and his real body is still buried there, meaning he is literally now a Hellspawn! He slowly learns his powers and situation, and both Heaven and Hell are sending creatures after him (Heaven to destroy him and Hell to keep him in line). He even saves his ex-wife that he deeply loves but she's horrified of him and his form (she didn't know he was a brutal warrior in life). Oh yeah, and every time he uses his power, he loses some of his borrowed life. And this is all just the opening stuff.

Honorable Mention: The "X-Cutioner's Song" storyline in the X-Men comics. It doesn't hold up well over time because they kept changing things & lessening the repercussions of it. But this one was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

As a GenXer I have a sweet spot for the Age of Apocalypse.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Deadblow was awesome. Always loved the original Punisher series too.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: dashen

Any chance to be more specific?

deadpool max first series. especially the cable ones.
marvel zombies the first series and series 4-5 with howard the duck and machine man.
the whole secret wars 2015 thing, and the spinoffs, xmen 92, deadpools secret wars, other spinoffs.

I like the old Groo comics too

top topics

<<   2 >>

join