It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tonopah Test Range restrictions updated on official website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
ttr.sandia.gov...

The TTR from time to time tweaks their official website. The restrictions on the vehicles allowed on base got an update:

Company-owned and rental vehicles are authorized with appropriate registration and/or rental documentation; however, personally-owned vehicles are not*. To prevent access delays, when requesting a rental vehicle it is highly recommended the vehicle not be equipped with a backup camera, GPS, OnStar, or Bluetooth options. If vehicle is equipped with such options, please attempt to have the functions disabled by the rental agency or vehicle will not be authorized in controlled areas.

*Please note, if the vehicle is registered to an individual, the vehicle is considered a POV regardless of purpose/use.

The backup camera restriction is kind of obvious. These cameras have been in use for over a decade, but I guess someone realized a recording device could be added to the video.

The OnStar tracking restriction is probably due to the integrated GPS, though with satellite imagery, it shouldn't be hard to get coordinates of where a vehicle travelled.

Bluetooth restriction? You got me there.

The Cedar Gate is staffed 24 and 7. That is the gate on the ET Highway. The ABLE gate has restricted hours. ABLE gates is the one accessed by the "Rocket" landmark from highway 6. The ABLE gate is used most likely by Tonopah residents. The Cedar Gate has some traffic from Groom Lake. This is easily observed since the vehicles travel between the back gate to Groom Lake and Cedar Gate. Cedar Gate road traffic also has non-Groom use. The radar "threats" used during Red Flag or FWS (fighter weapons school) use the gate.

prohibited items

Now this prohibited items pdf is interesting. No DVDs makes sense since Chelsea Manning removed classified documents on a rewritable DVD marked "Lady Gaga." USB restrictions are kind of obvious, though I guess this means some computers on base do not have their USB ports disabled. The item to the right of the word USB is a USB camera pen. Yeah I guess that isn't allowed. ;-) No restrictions on bringing a Furby!

The website lists:
"Brian Adkins, Range Manager"

There was a F-117 pilot with the same name. Coincidence?

edit on 8-1-2017 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Kind of makes me wonder why the folks in charge of access don't just make the entire operation go nude and zip around on segways.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Forgot to add that Furbies are evil.

They steal people's dream, and transmit them to the aliens to eat.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
USB ports are necessary for HID devices like keyboards and mice.

Though if they are running windows pc's they can disable the use of USB devices via group policy on domain computers.

We've done this in the office. Too many USB devices can contain virii.

Bluetooth disabling probably so you can't transfer files or images via blue tooth.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Odd...the whole problem would be easily solved with hard wired thin-clients only.

Of course I suppose virtualization presents some issues for compartmentalization, but these are solvable.

Not surprising our government is so backward technology wise.

edit on 1/8/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There are at least two patches for Groom lake that are very similar in design.
Do the new restrictions mention screen refresh rate for LCD devices?
I notice the standard settings seem to be 59 HZ not 60 Hz for some of the new device screens.
The power mains these days tend to run at a pretty steady 60 HZ depending on sample length.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Odd...the whole problem would be easily solved with hard wired thin-clients only.

Of course I suppose virtualization presents some issues for compartmentalization, but these are solvable.

Not surprising our government is so backward technology wise.

Good point on thin clients. The picture above is from the House hit piece on Snowden. "Thin on Thick" is probably something similar to X-windows.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: angryproctologist

furby

Above link for those who may not recall 1999.

When Putin came down Trump's chimney (SNL), he left something similar.

I think Billy Big Bass is safe from snooping.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
A carefully (cough cough) crafted job description that sounds like the TTR.

Currently leading 50+ personnel for oversight of 280 sq miles of operational testing range supervising all infrastructure, operations, and safety matters for flight test events. Former Senior Air Force officer experienced in collaborative work environments, C2, leadership, joint strategic planning, and all aspects of operational warfare. Broad skill base in remotely piloted aircraft operations, low observables, global C2, advanced technology concepts, joint training, operational test and evaluation, and large program management. Specialties: Tactical aviation, training, command and control, net-centric operations, low observables, unmanned air systems/vehicles, flight and ground safety, aircraft systems, leadership, supervision, consulting, international agreements, Federal Aviation Administration issues, marketing Brian "Animal" Adkins | LinkedIn

www.linkedin.com...

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

Lt. Col. Brian Adkins exits an F-117 stealth fighter jet after flying it to Wright Patterson Air Force Base, March 10 in Dayton, Ohio. The jet's stealth technology was developed in the 1970s to help evade enemy radar.

Handy having a F-117 pilot on base.

edit on 8-1-2017 by gariac because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join