It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic "bird's eye" views of Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: jeep3r

Can we get a video?

I created a short flyover clip (40 seconds, format: h.264/1920 x 1080) but currently can't access my old youtube account that I previously used for ATS stuff. I uploaded the file (27 mb) here instead, as a temporary download.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r

Can we get a video?

I created a short flyover clip (40 seconds, format: h.264/1920 x 1080) but currently can't access my old youtube account that I previously used for ATS stuff. I uploaded the file (27 mb) here instead, as a temporary download.

Wow!

I need to look into how to do this stuff!

e2a: Do people think it's worth doing a tutorial thread on this stuff? tTere are lots of images and data out there from a variety of space agencies that anyone can get hold of but it's sometimes difficult to work out how to get the images into a more standard format. I have some experience with Chinese, Indian and Japanese images I could contribute.
edit on 14/1/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Thanks!

It's amazing what any of us can do today if we just take the time to learn how to do it, with all the technology that surrounds us.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
e2a: Do people think it's worth doing a tutorial thread on this stuff? tTere are lots of images and data out there from a variety of space agencies that anyone can get hold of but it's sometimes difficult to work out how to get the images into a more standard format. I have some experience with Chinese, Indian and Japanese images I could contribute.

I think that's a great idea.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I think that's a great idea.

I've added a JAXA tutorial to this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Obviously it's for moon data, not mars, but a lot of the techniques are portable once you get your head around them.

Thanks to this thread I now know about QGIS, so the bit at the end covering that is what I'v learned since last night

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Virtual 3D flyovers, or just images themselves, are an amazing way to explore and study the Solar System. Some of these images and animations use photos taken through a telescope, which is even more amazing.

Regarding Mars data, I think it should be possible to use RGB images for these 3D projections and animations. I'd very much like to see some.

Example: DTM, RGB image.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

Regarding Mars data, I think it should be possible to use RGB images for these 3D projections and animations. I'd very much like to see some.

Example: DTM, RGB image.

That DTM indeed has some interesting features in it. I did a version with the entire terrain colorized according to the reddish hue taken from the RGB image strip. So here goes Hibes Monte in the typical mars colors:

edit on 15-1-2017 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
They're just laughing at us now

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I've added a JAXA tutorial to this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Obviously it's for moon data, not mars, but a lot of the techniques are portable once you get your head around them.

This result is simply overwhelming (ETA: image on the right is from Apollo 17). It's amazing to see the simulated terrain corresponding to the real surface with such precision.

edit on 15-1-2017 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Great images, both in your post & in the OP.

To my untrained eye, it seems to me that Mars has been absolutely covered with very fine grade debris - as though it was totally immersed in a sea of dust which aggregated over all of its original surface geology, and was then weathered by natural atmospheric processes.

It strikes me that the state of the surface of Mars provides a rather compelling possibility of a confirmation of the 'exploded planet hypothesis' originally raised by Van Flandern, and further developed by many authors. My favourite book so far, regarding the state of our solar system & the anomalies/ mythos which apparently surround it, is 'The Cosmic War' by author & researcher Dr Joseph P Farrell. Seriously good stuff, a great jumping-off point for the ancient 'War in Heaven' type of research.

edit on JanuarySunday1701CST09America/Chicago-060055 by FlyInTheOintment because: spelling

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This one is a keeper...

Amazing

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
MRO's DTMs have been used for this rather psychedelic video exploring the idea of aliens on Mars: vimeo.com...

Utopia Planitia is a CG short about space exploration and the quest of finding traces of extraterrestrial forms of life. Flying over spectacular desert planet, seeing strangely familiar ancient civilizations remains and experiencing a first contact with the existence of unknown living things.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
very nice images. makes me want to be there exploring those mountains.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join