It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Less Than A Week Of GOP Control, Kentucky Passes 20-Week Abortion Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
No abortions after 20 week and an ultra sound before an abortion. These are the new laws that are on the governors desk, he is expected to sign them.

Kentucky passed a ban on abortions after 20 weeks, the Gov. is expected to sign it. This took less than a week after the repubs took all 3 branches of govt.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
The Kentucky legislature on Saturday passed a bill banning abortions after 20 weeks, sending it to the desk of Gov. Matt Bevin (R), who is expected to sign it.

The ban came less than a week after Republicans took control over all three branches of Kentucky government. Before the November election, Republicans had not controlled the Kentucky House since 1921.

Anti abortion activist claim a "fetus" can feel pain at 20 weeks, but claim there isn't medical evidence. Pro abortion activists worry this may help overturn roe v wade.

Anti-abortion advocates argue that fetuses can feel pain at 20 weeks, but that claim isn’t supported by medical evidence. Reproductive rights advocates worry that 20-week bans could be used as a vehicle to overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark case that protects a woman’s right to have an abortion. Nearly 20 states have passed 20-week abortion bans.

The Kentucky legislature also passed a separate bill Saturday that requires a woman to have an ultrasound before she receives an abortion. Bevin is also expected to sign that bill.

The ACLU and Planned P criticized how fast the these law moved through the legislator. There are the usual protest that come along with this type of laws.

Both measures moved remarkably quickly through the Kentucky legislature, which opened its session on Tuesday. The laws contain emergency language that will make them effective immediately once they are signed, the Lexington Herald Leader reported earlier this week.

The ACLU of Kentucky and Planned Parenthood have criticized how quickly the 20-week ban moved through the legislature. Demonstrators took to the state capitol building in Frankfort this week to protest the bill.

edit on 7-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This could trigger a new firestorm of State laws nationwide.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
well at least they read the law before they passed it unlike that unaffordable care act which had to be passed into law before anyone was allowed to read it and before they would tell us what was in it.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I live in Kentucky and am pro-choice. I have no problem with the 20 week cut off point. In my former state of residence the cut off point was 12 weeks and I feel that is ample time. As far as the ultrasound goes, I disagree with it as the women do not have to actually SEE the ultrasound- it is just being required to make it financially harder (because they have to PAY for the ultrasound in addition to the cost of the abortion) to discourage women from being able to afford it- which is horse crap!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yep, they are doing it Obama style, when he first got into office he was full of speed and ability getting things done. Then that left him and the dithering started.

We will see if other states start this new 20 week ban and ultra sound. Interesting.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I dont normally click on this kind of Moral Emotional Wedge Issue. The complete unwillingness to see each others side, and compromise, argh why bother.

Curious though, when is the normal cutoff if any? And is this measure actually unreasonable? I mean, its obvious of obtuse religious right stuff like even rape victims MUST keep it, is just insane. But there ought to be some kind of compromise (on well pretty much everything) that can make whatever sides happy enough?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

That is true. And they did it in broad daylight not on Christmas eve like the federal reserve being passed into law

Off topic but the ACA sucks.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You would think that there would be some compromises. And on issues like timber production from federal land sure, gas tax yep.
But when it comes to ending a life people tend to stick to their guns. One side won't budge because they don't want restriction on killing a baby, and the other wants restrictions on killing a baby.

simple

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Here is all Ill say on the matter.
1. I feel everyone should have the right to make their own choices
2. a baby is its own life, and thus deserves the same rights as anyone else
3. a womans body is her own
4. who decides when one supercedes the other?
5. I have friends who have a 24 week old child that was born premature and he is a happy vibrant child today
6. I do not have the facilities to decide for others, but some time after 3 mos or so, theres something living and viable in there
7. not my choice, but others, having raised a child within months of gestation I am rattled by aborting a child after 5 months, but I accept other peoples freedom of choice.
8. I consider abortion aberrant after a few weeks, but I am not the arbiter of others understanding of personal freedom
9. I am torn apart on this idea as I feel for all parties
10. but where is the line drawn between peoples rights, at what age does one have these?..upon birth? what about briths that have been successful after 6 months? we should not be so cavalier with our opinions regarding life.

Conclusion I support neither side, but recognize peoples inherent rights to freedom

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

You and me both. It is a sticky ugly subject, and I can't see killing a baby.

And of course people want to call the baby a fetus, Blah blah blah.

Lets be real, it's a human live that a women is killing. Period. Let's start from there. And my feeling is that it is between her and her maker.

Conclusion I support neither side, but recognize peoples inherent rights to freedom

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

The ultrasound is to confirm the size and age of the fetus before doing the procedure, not to make it "financially harder". The US is typically done right there in the office by the physician. They own the instrument, so no additional cost is incurred, and in reputable clinics, it is not an option.

First, a confirmation qualitative Hcg is done. Then, an approximate date of conception is calculated on a gestation wheel, based on when the patient had her last period. Then, an ultrasound is performed to confirm fetal age and size, to make sure the fetus is no older than 12 weeks, because after that point, it is a second trimester termination and is a completely different procedure.

They also check for possible ectopic pregnancy, which is life-threatening and requires emergency surgery to terminate, in a hospital OR, under general anesthesia. In addition, a second US is performed to make certain there are no products of conception remaining in the uterus, because that's an excellent way to become septic and die. It's the same reason D&C has to be done fairly often after suffering a miscarriage.

Some clinics will charge additional fees if the patient wishes to be sedated for the procedure. Where I worked, however, it was not available. Our physician felt that if a woman wishes to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, then she should do it wide awake, and aware...and I agree with that. Abortion is excruciatingly painful for most women. It's not like going in for a surgery, going to sleep and waking up on soothing pain meds in a comfy bed with a nurse standing by to take care of you. It's not meant to be a form of birth control.

If they didn't perform ultrasound before procedures, they'd be guessing at what they were going into. That is absolutely unethical, and no doctor who cherishes his or her medical license would be stupid enough to take a chance like that. And really, who would be stupid enough to agree to let them do it in the first place?

Anyone who allows someone to just go spelunking blindly into their uterus without making sure there are no unforeseen issues first is a complete and utter idiot, and deserves anything that happens subsequently. Terminating a pregnancy is a surgical procedure, not closing a business deal. If you want to haggle over prices, go buy a car.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Hooray for Kentucky!

Let them murder their children somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

The ultrasound is to confirm the size and age of the fetus before doing the procedure, not to make it "financially harder". The US is typically done right there in the office by the physician. They own the instrument, so no additional cost is incurred, and in reputable clinics, it is not an option.

Vaginal ultrasounds are not medically necessary, according the American College of Gynecology and insurance won't cover it. That's why the procedure is controversial. Ultrasounds are not free, just because a clinic owns the equipment, requiring them does run up the cost.

edit on 7-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Well if they want to sell the abortions maybe throw in the ultra sound for no cost? Or maybe have a payment plan?

Where there is a will there is a way.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I live in Kentucky and this doesn't surprise me in the least.

You are talking about a state that is deep in the bible belt.......so to speak.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
A 20 week ban on abortion violates Roe V Wade. Kentucky is like the 18th or 20th state to do this. It's only a matter of time until a case is brought before the Supreme Court. I'm sure that's what legislatures are hoping for, and that public opinion and outrage over fetal pain and other "wives tales" will sway the Judges and placate the public into giving in and chipping away at a woman's rights.

But, most likely, the case that will be brought before the Supreme Court regarding this ban will be the result of women's deaths and the inhumane torture of being force to give birth to tragically sick and deformed babies, only to watch them die a miserable and painful death.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well 20 weeks can stick, the ultrasound can be debatable and should be that is call forced commerce and have nothing to do with fetuses and more for the state financial coffers.

I guess ladies make sure that if you have sex and don't want to get pregnant do something about it and if you do get an unwanted pregnancy go and get your abortion in time.

For those that get raped or think they may have been raped, do not wait at home, get your uterus scraped immediately.

Abortion is still legal.

edit on 7-1-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Well if they want to sell the abortions maybe throw in the ultra sound for no cost? Or maybe have a payment plan?

Where there is a will there is a way.

Nobody is trying to "sell" abortions. Don't be so cavalier about one of the most painful decisions that a woman would have to make. Nobody wants an abortion at 20 weeks. Women don't seek last minute abortions because they lost their job, or got into a fight with their baby daddy. Women seek abortions after 20 weeks because they got a dire prognosis, and don't want to risk their health and/or future.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Is nothing but a whole bunch of crap, about fetus pain, when doctors claim that they can perform surgeries on fetuses to correct certain malformations before birth because fetuses do not feel the procedures.

I have to laugh at how the anti abortion can not stay away from women uterus and are obsess with regulating them.

Is becoming an obsessing bordering on mental insanity.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

If lawmakers are so concerned about a 20 week fetus being able to feel pain, why do they continue to vote against fetal anesthesia. Why don't they care about the pain that fetus is going to feel AFTER being born with anencephalies, spina bifida, hydrocephalus, or microcephalus?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join