It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMAZING photos of Water on Mars!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

here is a freindly hint - if you want to discuss features on mars - use links to the ORIGIONAL image files published by the space agency that took them - not some lo-res crap on imgur // tumblr // farcebook etc etc

It shouldn't matter where they are posted really, they're beautiful images regardless...
And I did check the PIA's they don't seem to exist on the NASA archives for some reason.

Ice and water on mars by the looks of it...Or infared imaging again?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LonnyZone

matter where they are posted really, they're beautiful images regardless...
And I did check the PIA's they don't seem to exist on the NASA archives for some reason.

They are beautiful images but you are making claims about what they claim, and posting links to the originals helps other people to try and assess whether those claims are reasonable. The site you are linking to is a 'greatest hits' site - it isn't the sole source of images from Mars and the originals will be available elsewhere.

See - if we had a link to the original we could work out how the image was taken, where it is on Mars and what it actually shows.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I thought everyone knew there's liquid water on mars? It was announced in 2015 in this article here:

“This is a significant development, as it appears to confirm that water -- albeit briny -- is flowing today on the surface of Mars.”

NASA confirms evidence that liquid water flows on mars!

edit on 8-1-2017 by LonnyZone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

It's a Mars Express image of Mars' north pole, so the white stuff is frozen CO2. The bluish stuff is again basaltic sand.

Source: sci.esa.int...

There are no lakes or seas on Mars, sorry. The conditions such as very tenuous atmosphere and frigid sub-zero temperatures (for most of time) make it impossible.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LonnyZone

Indeed, just not oceans and lakes of it.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Evidence of Water and Organics?

I like the last image in the set:

Anyone know the PIA or where to find a high-res image of that one?
edit on 8-1-2017 by LonnyZone because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2017 by LonnyZone because: added image

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LonnyZone

I was about to write great pic but that can't be mars!? Too much green!

Do you have the link to that pic?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I was about to write great pic but that can't be mars!? Too much green!

I can't share the link, I can say its from a Japanese server which I won't share here. Yep, theres green there, and it looks like the Rover's drill or instrumentation.

Do you have the link to that pic?

Nope, but I'de love to see the high-res version if anyone has it.

Here's a few more interesting images, see if you can spot the difference on the shoreline, between the low-res and high-res version.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
"I can't share the link, I can say its from a Japanese server which I won't share here. "

So... you can't can't share a public link?

Perhaps your full of BS?
edit on 8-1-2017 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Hey Guys! Lonnie is right! I just discovered this AMAZING photo of a huge salt-water ocean on Mars!

P.S.

Could someone move this to the hoax bin?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The rover image shows up on various news sites, like this one: Nasa uncovers new 'life on Mars' evidence after rover got stuck in the mud

I suppose that somebody could go to the Spirit rover image archive and chase the original images down. One must remember that Spirit took B&W images through a variety of filters, so the colours in that particular mosaic might not be accurate.

However, the article I linked is quite remarkable by itself, claiming that both wet soil and biological signs have been found. Perhaps there's an in-depth descussion about this of this forum.

But still, no lakes or seas.

P.S. I've chased some of those images down: mars.nasa.gov...
Here's an RGB stack from images taken through red, green, and violet filters (there isn't a blue-filtered image there sadly):

The colours look fine to me, perhaps that published image was tweaked somewhat. It must also be noted that the red filter used is very deep red, bordering on near-infrared. This, along with the use of a violet filter, will not give you accurate colours.

Here's a couple more, this time with proper red/green/blue filters:

(Raw images: mars.nasa.gov... )
Looks like ordinary sand to me, perhaps with some clay-like minerals.
edit on 9-1-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=21733535]wildespace One must remember that Spirit took B&W images through a variety of filters, so the colours in that particular mosaic might not be accurate.

Herein lays the problem. Anyone that understands the science understands why certain filters are used. To the great unwashed masses it appears as a "conspiracy". The fact that the filters used are meant to gain knowledge of the mineral deposits via the passby filters used is lost on them. These people want nothing more than a few "snap shots" of Mars, without understanding the greater scientific endeavour involved.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Here's a few more interesting images, see if you can spot the difference on the shoreline, between the low-res and high-res version.

I've checked - there aren't any.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

I suspect that LonnyZone doesn't appreciate that the images are effectively rotated 180 degrees. It's a matter of perspective!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
A mosaic of my RGB stacks, some with IR/green/violet and some with red/green/blue (as such, the colours are all over the place, and aren't represented accurately):

Larger version: i.imgsafe.org...

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Here's the original MOC image of that 'lake':

www.msss.com...

I've done some contrast adjustment and sharpening, and the alleged water surface obviously isn't:

What it may have been in the past is another matter.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
A mosaic of my RGB stacks, some with IR/green/violet and some with red/green/blue (as such, the colours are all over the place, and aren't represented accurately):

That's the nub of the question. Why don't we see colour accurate images. It's because using standard (as in digital cameras) filters gives little information about what we are seeing. Using filters that give us mineralogical data doesn't allow space agencies to produce colour accurate imagery without proper processing. And this processing is always going to be flawed (as in it requires human processing).

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarsIsRed

originally posted by: wildespace

That's the nub of the question. Why don't we see colour accurate images. It's because using standard (as in digital cameras) filters gives little information about what we are seeing. Using filters that give us mineralogical data doesn't allow space agencies to produce colour accurate imagery without proper processing. And this processing is always going to be flawed (as in it requires human processing).

Well, Spirit and many other rovers and spacecraft are equipped with red, green, and blue filters, will allows to combine those images into a true-colour image. It's just that the mission control don't always use all three filters, instead opting for infrared, violet, and other wavelength, as you rightly said, to study the chemical composition.

BTW, I've found the original mosaic: mars.nasa.gov...

It is presented in false color to make some differences between materials easier to see.

The brightness and color of the freshly disturbed soil seen in the center area of the mosaic indicates the this formerly hidden material is sulfate-rich. Before Spirit drove into this patch, the surface looked like the undisturbed ground highlighted in the lower-right inset. Flecks of red material in the surface layer resemble the appearance of the surface layer at other locations where Spirit's wheels have exposed high-sulfate, bright soils.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
Here's the original MOC image of that 'lake':

www.msss.com...

I've done some contrast adjustment and sharpening, and the alleged water surface obviously isn't:

What it may have been in the past is another matter.

Better yet, is to see a HiRISE image covering that area: hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Full-scale closeup:

It's an interesting area of smooth ground, but no water there.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Here's an interesting post regarding CFA's: pixinsight.com... and the way they can produce accurate colour images.

edit on 9-1-2017 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join