It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roadkill advice, Muntjac deer(very small uk deer.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: nonspecific

I'm unlikely to be free to go to hudds at easter, but i'm in the black country and gloucestershire is an easy drive, i expect we could work something out meeting wise and swapsie wise. Burying the skull would probably do it, it's the most neighbour friendly way.

The only issue is the dogs mate might have to look at alternatives if you have any, as to the skin what would I need to do? the last one I scraped off the fat and salted it but it reeked?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I agree with all you said, however looking at the eyes can indicate chronic diseased state of the animal. Im not experienced enough to be foolproof, but the old fellas I learned from would choose not to harvest the meat based on the eyes.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I do the road kill Forest Of Dean hogs like this.

Take the meat from the outside without entering the gut zone.

Search no gut deer on YouTube. I'll fix vid.
edit on 7 1 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

from what I see the luster of the eye seems healthy...pics a bit grainy but hey you could make a nice venison chili and warm right up!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: RickyD

I agree with all you said, however looking at the eyes can indicate chronic diseased state of the animal. Im not experienced enough to be foolproof, but the old fellas I learned from would choose not to harvest the meat based on the eyes.

I think it is the photo mate, the other half found it and was trying to "woman up" in her own words to brng it back, there is blood in the mouth so maybe took a knock but not hard enough to show as was in the middle of the road?

If unsure it will get buried not eaten.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Do you have a dog? Put it in front of your dog, and if your dog doesn't even want to eat it, then you shouldn't eat it. But if it is trying to eat it, then bring it in.

Make sure the stomach hasn't exploded. And make sure it isn't truly beaten up to a pulp. No broken ribs. If you do that then you should be fine.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: intrptr

Don't feel sorry for it, it's an invasive species eating the forest, nonspecific is doing his civic duty eating the monster.

Roads are genociding critters world wide, I'm sorry about that.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx

Do you have a dog? Put it in front of your dog, and if your dog doesn't even want to eat it, then you shouldn't eat it. But if it is trying to eat it, then bring it in.

Make sure the stomach hasn't exploded. And make sure it isn't truly beaten up to a pulp. No broken ribs. If you do that then you should be fine.

I have a Japanese Akita mate it would eat anything it couldn't hump!

It looks like it has been hit but no evidence of injury other than blood in the mouth and the fact that it is dead, just waiting for my OH's son to get back as he has more experience with roadkill than me.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: intrptr

Stop poaching on the queens land and calling it roadkill dude

The eyes makes me think its an alien with four eyes in that pic...

Haha, you missed him, but I got him wth the door.

# he's only stunned, BACK UP BACK UP LEFT A BIT.....

Stop right there, now gun it...

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Stop poaching on the queens land and calling it roadkill dude

The eyes makes me think its an alien with four eyes in that pic...

Haha, you missed him, but I got him wth the door.

# he's only stunned, BACK UP BACK UP LEFT A BIT.....

Stop right there, now gun it...

UK remember mate, we are not allowed bang bangs....

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

yes we are

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The Muntjac are successful because they're small enough to hide in any small undergrowth. I've seen them running guiltily through built-up areas. They damage the trees and more.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Nightingale heading to extinction

Britain's most celebrated songbird, the nightingale, will be extinct within 30 years, scientists have warned.

Populations of the bird, which has been an inspiration for generations of poets and romantics, have crashed by more than 90 per cent in the last 40 years.

According to a study by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO), the species is on course to vanish completely from the UK.

The findings mean the bird will be upgraded to "red status" - signifying the highest possible degree of conservation concern.

Its decline has been blamed on the explosion in the muntjac deer population, which has drastically reduced the availability of the bird's favoured habitat in woodland undergrowth.

It is absurd. We have a random culling method that just catches the occasional random critter.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

yes we are

We know that but try telling our friends over the pond that mate.

Also I would be wary of hitting a munty at any distance with a 12 bore when a handy swipe with a door would be a lot less messy.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Hey thats a great idea, good info to have thanks

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Possible dumb question here but I have a spare fridge. If the munty is good and I get it gutted, bled and skinned could I hang it in the fridge(yes it would fit)

I have always had carcasses ready hung before apart from a red deer that I just skinned and butchered?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

You could bury it under a slab but your dogs would likely still go nuts.. could put the head in a stream under some rocks and let micro critters strip it, but if it's quiet there then other beasties will likely take ut away. Other options involve more work on your part and annoying neighbours... if you can't do it in a way that doesnt inconvenience you then not to worry, but the offer stands if it's reasonably stripped etc

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

It is absurd. We have a random culling method that just catches the occasional random critter.

Well thats different. I support culling, maintaining species. Maybe you guys could import wolves or something, lol. Without top predators a biological system can't thrive.

As far as randomness, 'civilization' is guaranteeing the destruction of animal habitat, hard for me to blame the animals for that.

edit on 7-1-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
So the little bugger was pretty busted up inside but healthy.

Managed to keep the haunches and a front leg and the fillets plus some scraps.

Pics to follow.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No pics as just ate it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join