It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS claims it will cost over 5 thousand dollars a foot to build wall

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'll bet you if asked Americans will show up bricks and mortar and crews, oh wait that's already happening

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: brutus61
Two words! For profit.

Likely even if you ended up building something that would put the great wall of china to shame it would do absolutely nothing because all the issues and problems which everybody is always whining about the illegals is created by them, its simple? Why pay somebody more money when you can flood cheap labor in. The whole legal immigrants thing is a created and manufactured issue, by you know who. And if you dont then you really are foolish.

But likely this or any wall building adventures will ensue in typical manner. A chain link fence which from tower to tower which literally will cost a fraction of what is said in your op, and probably crumble in a few years, but that's OK because you can pay others to put some plaster on it for 500,000 per contract every few years. And as for prisoners working, most prisons are for profit organizations, they already make things like license plates and tires and what not for practically 10cents to the dollar, if even that. And considering that the government will reimburse the owners for there so called "expenses" Well, then, good business it does make.

Literally America is and was and will be run down into the ground by the same old, just another failed nation which will be left for others to pick through the pieces if you fools dont quit your # and pick things up. Cant even build a fence without creating a catastrophe at catastrophic prices, and people still wonder why and how these some sort doubt the whole moon landing thing. I mean you cant even build a chain link fence without bankrupting the nation? Sure seems suspicious now doesn't it? And people wonder were conspiracy theories come from.

Can we waste 14 billion $$$ or whatever on something else? Would be more prudent. Hey! Maybe we can buy 100 hundred thousand solid gold pikachu and giglypuf statues and make a national Pokemon park were we would charge Pokemon go players 5$ to enter the hundreds and hundreds of miles of expansive Pokemon hunting reservation territory for the Pokemon go connoisseur to enjoy at leisure. It would pay for itself in one year, maybe even beat out Disney Land by a landslide. And probably cheaper then this fence would cost.

It would be more prudent now wouldn't it? And a much better and profitable business investment then this fence, I will not call it a wall, because we all know it wont even be that, it will be one big expensive chain link fence. This whole thing reminds me of a something. Oh ya, somebody trying to throw a rock at the ground, and missing. A pretty dam giant target to miss, almost an impossibility, yet I have great faith that the government and this whole system can achieve such a magnanimous yet almost impossible feat.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Use state and federal illegal alien prisoners as labor to build the wall.

Whats the worst thing that can happen.
They escape to Mexico and don't come back. lol

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
1000 miles of 35ft concrete wall is estimated to be 15-25 billion. WaPo did a piece on it, so its the high estimate, they did it to give trump a pinocchio rating.

Trump would be overseeing it as his baby. It would be a lot less prone to boondoggle.
This isn't a bunch of bureaucrats trying to figure out how to build a high speed train, see california's boondoggle.

This is a project of logistics, not some technological marvel. Building concrete walls are not complicated.

All in all I do love the wall so much for one reason. All these Liberals who just recently found their fiscal conservative wings.
The first time they have found issue with government spending in their lives (exempting war cost).
Its awesome.
edit on 8-1-2017 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

No man works prolonged hours for just a hot meal (that a real man provides for himself) and a picture with their idol. Any man who would accept that as payment is nothing but a brainwashed sycophant.

Don't ever accuse me of being unpatriotic because I disagree with building a stupid ass wall and understand the inevitability that is human nature. We do not live in 2300 BC. This is 2017, boy.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
1000 miles of 35ft concrete wall is estimated to be 15-25 billion. WaPo did a piece on it, so its the high estimate, they did it to give trump a pinocchio rating.

Trump would be overseeing it as his baby. It would be a lot less prone to boondoggle.
This isn't a bunch of bureaucrats trying to figure out how to build a high speed train, see california's boondoggle.

This is a project of logistics, not some technological marvel. Building concrete walls are not complicated.

All in all I do love the wall so much for one reason. All these Liberals who just recently found their fiscal conservative wings.
The first time they have found issue with government spending in their lives (exempting war cost).
Its awesome.

Have you looked at the terrain along the U.S.-Mexico border?

I have. I don't see that as a high estimate at all. Please open up Google Earth and take a look.

If/when you do, you will see that there is already a barrier on most of the border from (but not including) Texas west to offshore. Texas has the Rio Grande as a barrier. Certain populated areas and border crossings have additional barriers for humans, but most of the barrier is for vehicles.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Texas has the Rio Grande as a barrier.

Are you aware that the rive doesn't work well as a barrier. People have been crossing it for decades.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Yes, though it depends what part of the river you're talking about. They probably don't cross much around Santa Elena Canyon. Again, it's mostly a barrier to vehicles.

Please look at the Texas border in full on Google Earth before you start deciding on whether or not the proposed wall is a good idea. Might take awhile, though. I did it - so can you.
edit on 18Sun, 08 Jan 2017 18:11:01 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

The border patrol spends a lot of time stopping people and drugs crossing. Lots of people enter the US on foot.

I suppose if it work well there would not be the problem that is being addressed.
edit on 1/8/2017 by roadgravel because: typos

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I realize that a lot of people enter 'on foot' (or after swimming across). Texas has very little in the way of barriers beyond the Rio Grande. Only at the border crossings and a few other short stretches are there fences at all.

California, Arizona, and New Mexico all have extensive man-made barriers; not all of these are for people, but there are large stretches where this is the case.

Please look at the border of Texas on Google Earth to get an idea for why things are different.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Oh wow you people are cookie. Building a wall will not solve the issue of illegal migration, probably just lead to a lot more underground traffic, and bureaucracy, and red tape, and more bull#. If anything if you want to amp security at the borders do that put more funding into it, but I think 24 billion dollars can be spent doing something more then creating a few fenced in states, which will still not achieve its goal of keeping out illegals. As that is not the cause of the issue to begin with. Arguing about symptoms here.

I am sure that if anybody thought about it and on it for a few minutes, they would be able to come up with a much better plan and way to spend 24 billion dollars. # even my Pokemon park may be a better idea, and I just pulled that # out my hat in a second. If government or whoever is president now cant find a way to better to spend 24 billion dollars. I don't know what to say? That is like throwing a rock at the ground and missing.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

I realize that a lot of people enter 'on foot' (or after swimming across). Texas has very little in the way of barriers beyond the Rio Grande.

A wonderful endorsement for my new plan: piranha.

If we infest the RG with GMO piranha, we can not only stop most illegal crossing, we can dispose of the remains in an ecologically sound way. Plus, GMOP are on duty 24/7!

In addition, we can also deploy piranhadillos and rattlebats on the Mexican side. Why waste CRISPR on vitamin A rice when you can have a flying timber rattler with a taste for Mexican food? I think an immediate study should be commissioned to evaluate the relative efficacy of rattlebats vs water moccaranahs.
edit on 8-1-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: brutus61
Who said anything about against their will? I included $100.00 per ft for their labor in my calculations.

Compensating someone for their labor is great and all, but it still doesn't mean that they're willingly doing the job.

This would be tantamount to indentured servitude, IMO.

An indentured servant or indentured labor is an employee (indenturee) within a system of unfree labor who is bound by a contract (indenture) to work for a particular employer for a fixed period of time.

If you disagree, that's fine, because this is just all hypothetical in nature.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
You fool. Those ideas won't work. Besides your encroaching on my plan of fast breeding Chupacabras. I've even got an aquatic one and everybody knows Mexicans are frightened of Chupacabras. Has anyone got any Chupacabra cages as they are eating me out of house and home.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Ha! Ya. Instead of a wall maybe we can dig a trench from the coast of California to Texas and the Golf of Mexico, we could fill it with sharks, piranha, gators, you name it. Would make crossing the boarder a bit more harder, and probably contribute to the ecology and wildlife as well. I mean with as big a deal as people make out of this thing you would think there are thousands of illegals crossing the boarder every second, the gators and piranhas will have a constant supply of food at the least. It would be environmentally friendly and green.

No? Or how about this? We can get some satellites in space, equip them with some high electromagnetic rail-canons, or maybe even missiles. Get them to synchronize there orbit around the boarder, then you know, set up some control centers and get somebody to do the math on trajectories. Then you know, start blasting any illegals and other evil doers from space.

Though it would likely violate something or other about space weapons treaty. And would be a bit pricey, I think any rail gun from capable of dead zoning pin point accuracy will be way out of the budget. The military spend more then 50billion just on prototypes some years ago, but they got to have gone down in price by now. But hey! At 24 billion, maybe we can just start sending big ol rocks up there to drop down, should be in budget, then it would just be maintenance work and supply of ammo for our death satellites. We sure have a lot of big ol rocks just hanging around just chilling here on planet earth, wont run out of ammo anytime soon. And if we do we can always use waste products, I mean companies are practically spending millions to billions on getting rid of waste, including waste radioactive products, we can always charge them to send those spend nuclear fuel rods and tons and tons of barrels into space instead of dropping it in the ocean.

And when it gets into space, sure would make a big bada boom when it comes back down.

And will probably have to send up more then one satellite, one is not bound to be in target, or drop rate, or zone by itself, at least not 7 days a week 24/7 hours a day, in fact will have to have at least 6 or 5 to have constant trajectory and drop on a dime at any time any place in the area in a 4 day cycle. Would not want to get a ping on some illegals crossing or other nefarious deeds going on, set the target then? "Oh sorry sir, the satellite is currently over Burma right now, it will come back in orbit of target in 9 hours"

Oh ya, get a bunch of satellites up there, just to make sure. How dare these illegals try to cross and work for such egregious low prices in yard services, or other such jobs that people don't want to do.

Though I don't think Trump will pass up the opportunity to have his name written on such a long and large structure, if there is going to be a wall. But, all joksies aside, I think that if your going to be spending over 24 billion, there are a lot of other options were to spend that money. Everybody is always going on about jobs and such, maybe the money would be better spent there then on fencing in some few states.

But then again, that would make to much sense. The more hilarious route sure does sound like it will be more fortuitous in the lol department. Just cant wait to see what wacky antics people get up to if they choose to actually build this wall or fence or whatever.

edit on 11pmFridaypm132017f5pmFri, 13 Jan 2017 23:27:52 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I say we have unicorns build the wall, leprechauns pay for it, and a mighty wizard cast a spell over it so illegals cannot find a way over, under, around, or through it.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Has anybody mentioned lasers yet?
Since some of you are long-winded, I can't be sure.

And I'm not talking about sharks in the river with laser beams strapped upside their heads for the people here who like to make out dated references.

I'm talking about laser beams like I have around my house that only costs $39.99 per month.
By my calculations, laser beams are way cheaper.

If you don't like laser beams, what about a 10 strand electric fence?
Nobody likes to touch a electric fence because you will get the # shocked out you.

I propose a electric fence with laser beams.

Edit- And minefields.

edit on 2017-01-13T23:56:17-06:002201713America/Chicago1 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

edit on 2017-01-13T23:57:07-06:002201713America/Chicago1 by c2oden because: because D8TEE

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

How much would a minefield cost?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Nothing. Mexico will pay for the minefield.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

And I'm not talking about sharks in the river with laser beams strapped upside their heads

Well, you should be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join