It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why your TV is sounding dog whistles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This one is sneaky. Brilliant even. This technique has been in use for a couple years now. Some people have figured out how to use inaudible ultrasounds to coerce your phone/tablet/laptop/pc into "phoning home". Without approval by the user. Without the user having any idea whatsoever.

edit on 6-1-2017 by Templeton because: I'm not sure how this got on this forum. I meant it for Off the grid ¯_(ツ)_/¯

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

That is just a little scary, though probably they are doing this as a way to monitor the number of people watching programming at a given time, to see how much impact advertisements might be having at that time.

I don't like it though. Could there be unscrupulous ways in which this might be used?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Double post. Ack.
edit on 6-1-2017 by Fowlerstoad because: double post syndrome

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

It has positive uses for sure. What I don't like about it is how insidious it is. Phones do not come with a 'your privacy is void while this device is on your person' contract. I don't think. Maybe they do. I like the idea of a 'allow ultrasound mic access' permission. I don't really want to walk around blowing a dog whistle all day to obfuscate!

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yeah, I do not like that it is involuntary either. I mean, if the phone is my property, I would certainly like the option of turning this kind of feature on and off, or disabling it. If they can make your device 'phone home' like this, and someone is looking for you theoretically, then it is easier to find your location if your phone phones home every time it gets activated by uBeacon.

Just one more thing to make me paranoid. Thanks

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Got me wondering. My dog/cat Lazarus does a ritual call of respect to the elders, every morning between the hours of 2am and 4am. I wonder if he is responding to this kind of signal.

Also explains why a lot of cell phone models and tablets, don't have removable batteries any more. The can't make circumvention as easy as taking out the battery.

I have become very picky about which beasts I feed. Being an old fart, I don't need much more than the basics, and I refuse to spend monies from my limited fixed income, on anything that is going to be in a landfill in less than 5 years, or my garage, I will not dump old electronics into a land field here or in China. I also hate intrusive advertisement. It is the quickest way to get on my "never buy from this company" list.

We are not powerless to control big businesses. Big business will not produce what they cannot sell. Fight with you money. It is the most powerful weapon you have.
edit on 7-1-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word edits.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

BUMP

Um. Guys? Maybe this has already been covered here, I don't know, but, you should probably watch this. Oh, and OP, next time, just learn to do a clickbait thread title like everyone else does... This bread should have gotten a lot more attention!

Man! Did you see the part where he explains how it could be used by criminals and by repressive governments to identify whistleblowers, and to identify some TOR users?

This is absolutely nuts...

Btw, Templeton (Charlotte's Web?), the forum "Off the Grid", doesn't have anything to do with one's whearabouts as it relates to being either on, or off, any type of grid, or "grid-like" (infra)structures in any way, shape or form.
It's a show forum no longer used, meant for Jesse Ventura's staff to leave threads, while pretending to be Jesse and never posting replies or any further post besides the initial OP, which is only them leaving a video of Jesse's webcast show "Off the Grid With Jesse Ventura".

There are a few forums like this which are intended for specific celebrity conspiracy researchers personalities.

Like "The View From Mars" for Jim Mars, "ScottCreighton" for Scott Creighton, "Disinfo" for the disinfo.com team, "Truth In Media" for Ben Swann... I don't know what the rules or requirements are, or if we are allowed at all, to post in these forums. Seems there must be some way to have a thread legitimately belong there, or they could just close it off to everyone except for Jesse's account...

Either way, I'm pretty sure that your thread doesn't belong there. For one thing, it's a lot better than anything I know about that's been posted in that forum!
So don't feel too bad about getting "kicked out" of it

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

It's very nuts, I thought it was very clever and scary, I mean viewing a site in Tor triggers an ultrasound audio clip to then have your phone react ( as long as it had the app with the detection malware in it ) and send data about you to whomever, even random johns who were able to copy that SIGNAL from others and REPLAY them wherever to get info of ANYONE with some well crafted manipulation and social hacking to have them download an app that you have written or wrote with the code on it.

It's insane, thought I needed the camera facing me covered, now I just need to disable the mic when not using it.

new topics

top topics

join