It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Deletes Offensive Tweet About Trump Plans "accidentally tweeted out a racial epithet"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
OOps moment from Yahoo they tweeted "Trump wants a much bigger(with an n) navy."

Yahoo Finance says it accidentally tweeted out a racial epithet when promoting a story about the cost of President-elect Donald Trump's plans to increase the size of the U.S. Navy.
www.usnews.com...

They tweeted an apology and and chalked it up to a simple spelling error. But the company didn't respond for further comment.

The headline for the story on Yahoo Finance is, "Trump Wants a Much Bigger Navy: Here's How Much It'll Cost." But when it was tweeted Thursday, the word "bigger" had an 'n' as its first letter instead of a 'b.'

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I have a feeling some yahoo at Yahoo is out looking for another job today.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

Depends on whether the yahoo was black or white , the word is only racist if a white person uses it.

a reply to: seasonal
B and N are next to each other on the keyboard , easy slip to make.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap

Why? It's not the fault of a person at Yahoo that Trump is an idiot that doesn't proof read.

+33 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Junkheap

Why? It's not the fault of a person at Yahoo that Trump is an idiot that doesn't proof read.

Trump didnt send that tweet yahoo did. Apparently you cant read either.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

True, outside looking in it's easy to say this should have been proof read. But if this is your job, you tend to get maybe a little lazy. And skip steps. I too wonder if this person is looking to tweet with another employer.

Gin

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

You should rather proof read it because what you just did was an horrendous mistake.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Trump isn't an idiot, you may disagree with his politics, and you may even not like him because he doesn't walk the PC path that was expected. Crass, yep. Loud and full of himself absolutely. But and idiot he is not.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
MSNBC once had an interview with Niger Innis, son of civil rights leader Roy Innis. Underneath him on the screen they accidently spelled his name with two g's.

Niger Innis
edit on Fri January 6th, 2017 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
You would think auto correct would flag offensive words.
Maybe the writer was black.
They can use that word.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Given the proximity of the keys involved with this particular error, I cannot see what the fuss is about.

Suffice to say, that there is absolutely no reason to think that this is anything other than one of the most easily explicable typos in history, and before anyone jumps down my neck about how Yahoo ought to have better proof reading, I feel it necessary to point out the following.

Even in newspapers, broadsheet newspapers (not tabloids) the previously accepted and rigorous quality of proof reading, not to mention the grammar and spelling standards expected of columnists, journalists, and even contributors to the letters pages, have evaporated over recent years, with even publications such as the Times and the Daily Mail (the latter of which has always been a rag full of hate speech, but used to be a rag full of very well written hate speech), routinely failing to pass stories and columns through an effective regime of editorial alterations, to correct any failures in the original authors grammar and spelling.

Frankly speaking, if publications once much respected for the quality of the writing within, if not necessarily the contents of those writings, are now accepting poorly written, badly spelled, grammatically defective dross for publication, there is no reason to expect a mere web publication such as Yahoo provides, to hold to a high standard with regard to spelling and grammar. Simply put, editorial standards cost time and money, and Yahoo, much like many other web publications, like to save as much of the stuff which makes their world go round as possible. Hook that up to the perceived need to have stories and commentary hit the wire as fast as possible, and you have a recipe for this sort of unfortunate, but no doubt absolutely accidental failure.

Reading more than that into it, without some suggestive evidence to support the notion that this was a deliberate mistake, as opposed to an accidental one, would be reactionary and unrealistic as a result.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Unless it wasn't a mistake.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

No...

If it was anything other than a mistake, then I would have to see some evidence of that before coming to that conclusion.

When one hears hoofbeats, the logical assumption is that horses are approaching, not zebras.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have to agree that this is a bit of a non issue, as far as the Tweet itself and more a reflection on the person who was careless enough to miss their mistake. That whoever wrote it could not take 10 seconds to proofread and correct a single sentence, tells me they are not fit for the job. In the rush to be first, facts and grammar are the first to go. I always proofread what I write and correct any typos, because it reflects on the person. I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but mis spellings and no punctuation make me cringe.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What about a cow?

There is a concerted effort to make sure that we don't forget that Trump is a "racist". Now if this were the Clintons I would say nothing is a coincidence. But I can't say who is pulling the levers behind the curtain if indeed there are any levers being pulled.

Or a mistake who knows.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

While this should have been caught before the page went live, the 'B' and 'N' button are neighbors on a keyboard, and this was a simple mistake. Why this is considered worthy of news is beyond me.

The company shouldn't be expected to respond any further than an apology for the error.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Of course it's a mistake, it doesn't even make sense.

Seems very childish to suggest otherwise.

'Someone, somewhere, made a typo.'

How that's a headline is beyond me. I'm surprised it's even being discussed.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Took the words right out of my mouth

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Eh seems like a simple mistake. Like another poster already stated the letters are right next to each other on the keyboard. Just shows laziness that nobody proof read before pushing it out.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

people love to race bait.

thats why its always news on ATS. more clicks, s&f

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join