It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood Just Responded to Paul Ryan's Threat to Defund the Health Organization

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

You're morally opposed to women and prenatal healthcare? Because that's what government funding via Medicaid is going towards. Medicaid does not cover abortions and thus the government doesn't fund them.

Defunding PP doesn't really hurt PP. Sure they may have to close a few locations but they still have money coming in from insurance companies and donations.

Who it really hurts are working class women living in rural areas. A demographic that was key in getting Trump elected.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Why do you think women want Planned Parenthood defunded?

Have you actually looked into any views outside the left's echo chamber?
www.gallup.com...

So, some women support planned parenthood, some don't.
This is more about Democrat vs. Republican than it is about women, but the political division is not quite as a convincing so the dishonest left play the gender card. We see you.

edit on 7/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Apparently you failed to read, period. Roe vs Wade was not a referendum of all women.

What was it then?

Unless you can show me where all women or even a vast majority of women agree with funding planned parenthood, then an assumption that all women need to be prepared to be oppressed is false.

Do you know what Title X is?

A Supreme Court ruling that provides the right to abortion and removes the rights of an unborn child.

Title X has nothing to do with my point either.

My point is a simple, and irrefutable one. Not all women support Planned Parenthood... in fact as high as 40% do not according to the Gallup poll I linked. Ergo, it's not an oppression of women to defund planned parenthood.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I'm asking you, WHY you think American women want Planned Parenthood defunded, and if you know what Title X is.

I don't care about some "like/don't like" arbitrary poll that addresses nothing.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

You're morally opposed to women and prenatal healthcare? Because that's what government funding via Medicaid is going towards. Medicaid does not cover abortions and thus the government doesn't fund them.

Defunding PP doesn't really hurt PP. Sure they may have to close a few locations but they still have money coming in from insurance companies and donations.

Who it really hurts are working class women living in rural areas. A demographic that was key in getting Trump elected.

No, and I don't know why you need to lump a whole host of issues together.
Defunding planned parenthood would not be an oppression of women.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I'm asking you, WHY you think American women want Planned Parenthood defunded, and if you know what Title X is.

I don't care about some "like/don't like" arbitrary poll that addresses nothing.

Yes, you don't care about the facts, only your opinion. Got it. Pesky facts.

Title X has nothing to do with my point, and if you knew what it was yourself you would know that Planned Parenthood do not exactly keep strict adherence to the rules of Title X. Regardless it is a completely irrelevant deflection from the point I made.

As for why something like 40% of women disapprove of Planned Parenthood... the summary is in the link I gave you, but I can tell you don't like reading anything outside your echo chamber.

Now let me as YOU again, in the hope that you won't deflect. Does the opinion of these c40% of women count, or do they get excluded from the 'women' narrative?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

A Supreme Court ruling that provides the right to abortion and removes the rights of an unborn child.

Well, that's not correct. Roe V wade gives ALL women rights to their own reproductive choices. It doesn't take away rights from the unborn, because the US constitution doesn't, never has, afforded rights to the unborn.

Yes it does. Title X is the federal government mandate that funds planned parenthood (generic) through tax payer funds. A rose by any other name........call it whatever you want, the federal government is mandated by law to fund planned parenthood through tax payer dollars!

Not all women support Planned Parenthood... in fact as high as 40% do not according to the Gallup poll I linked.

Not all women do anything in unison. But, it's not true that your Gallop poll says that 40% of women want Planned Parenthood defunded. Your poll was a "favorability" poll, a popularity poll, not a "nix or don't nix" poll.

In fact, 40% of women probably have never stepped foot in planned parenthood clinic because their own doctor prescribes their birth control, performs their pap smears, etc., and perform their abortions, and they don't need Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood is for women who need it.

edit on 7-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well, that's not correct. Roe V wade gives ALL women rights to their own reproductive choices. It doesn't take away rights from the unborn, because the US constitution doesn't, never has, afforded rights to the unborn.

Yes it does. Title X is the federal government mandate that funds planned parenthood (generic) through tax payer funds. A rose by any other name........call it whatever you want, the federal government is mandated by law to fund planned parenthood through tax payer dollars!

Not all women support Planned Parenthood... in fact as high as 40% do not according to the Gallup poll I linked.

Not all women do anything in unison. But, it's not true that your Gallop poll says that 40% of women want Planned Parenthood defunded. Your poll was a "favorability" poll, a popularity poll, not a "nix or don't nix" poll.

In fact, 40% of women probably have never stepped foot in planned parenthood clinic because their own doctor prescribes their birth control, performs their pap smears, etc., and perform their abortions, and the don't need Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood is for women who need it.

Like I said, you need to read up more on Title X, because you don't understand it. There are provisions that need to be adhered to in order to qualify for federal funding. If it is decided that Planned Parenthood are not adhering, their funds can be cut. Simple. So stop deflecting.

As for Roe vs Wade - also a completely irrelevant point to the one I made, but still:

Roe v. Wade 410 U.S. 113 (1973) The central court decision that created current abortion law in the U.S. is Roe v. Wade. In this 1973 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that women had a constitutional right to abortion, and that this right was based on an implied right to personal privacy emanating from the Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments. In Roe v. Wade the Court said that a fetus is not a person but "potential life," and thus does not have constitutional rights of its own. The Court also set up a framework in which the woman's right to abortion and the state's right to protect potential life shift: during the first trimester of pregnancy, a woman's privacy right is strongest and the state may not regulate abortion for any reason; during the second trimester, the state may regulate abortion only to protect the health of the woman; during the third trimester, the state may regulate or prohibit abortion to promote its interest in the potential life o

You can dismiss data that doesn't fit your view all you like, but the irrefutable fact remains, which you seem to be conceding, that this is not about all women. Millions of women disapprove of Planned Parenthood. When all your deflections are removed, that point stands tall.

As for whether people WANT to defund planned parenthood, the people have put that decision in the hands of their representatives. As a representative system of govt. If defunding is agreed then that's that. You have your agreement. It's what the people of the country want.
Similarly if Roe vs Wade is overtuned with a much more conservative Supreme Court - it's what the people want (including women)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

You say that because you don't have any.

Title X has nothing to do with my point

Which is?

As for why something like 40% of women disapprove of Planned Parenthood...

The poll didn't address the issue of "approval" whatever the heck that's supposed to mean. It was a "favorability poll", not a poll on whether or not women approve of other women getting abortions and birth control.

the summary is in the link I gave you

You meant this one?

Gallup has observed a similar pattern of party polarization on other issues, including attitudes about global warming and labor unions, to name two examples. While Republican House members and senators' actions and words regarding Planned Parenthood certainly may resonate with their base, they are facing a general public that, as a whole, still views the organization more favorably than unfavorably.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

www.gallup.com...

This is more about Democrat vs. Republican than it is about women, but the political division is not quite as a convincing so the dishonest left play the gender card. We see you.

The left doesn't have an echo chamber, you are thinking about the right again.

FOX NEWS- Conservatisms 1 news source for 20 years and running

wanna be a patriot Tea Partier and Russian lover all in one decade? Watch Fox News, you'll be as solid as chewed gum!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You say that because you don't have any.

Title X has nothing to do with my point

Which is?

As for why something like 40% of women disapprove of Planned Parenthood...

The poll didn't address the issue of "approval" whatever the heck that's supposed to mean. It was a "favorability poll", not a poll on whether or not women approve of other women getting abortions and birth control.

the summary is in the link I gave you

You meant this one?

Gallup has observed a similar pattern of party polarization on other issues, including attitudes about global warming and labor unions, to name two examples. While Republican House members and senators' actions and words regarding Planned Parenthood certainly may resonate with their base, they are facing a general public that, as a whole, still views the organization more favorably than unfavorably.

Yes, a majority would be the 60% as opposed to the 40% (simple maths). But then there are still 40% of women who view PP unfavourably. Do they count?

My point was clear - women, en mass as one block, are not being oppressed by a decision to defund PP. It's a really simple point which you deflected with an inaccurate positioning of Title X and the completely irrelevant introduction of Roe vs Wade into a discussion about funding.

And like I said, any decision by Congress to defund will be the people's choice (including women). That is what a representative govt is all about.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: banjobrain

originally posted by: UKTruth

www.gallup.com...

The left doesn't have an echo chamber, you are thinking about the right again.

FOX NEWS- Conservatisms 1 news source for 20 years and running

wanna be a patriot Tea Partier and Russian lover all in one decade? Watch Fox News, you'll be as solid as chewed gum!

So refute the statement then. No echo chamber required. Here it is again:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Like I said, you need to read up more on Title X, because you don't understand it. There are provisions that need to be adhered to in order to qualify for federal funding. If it is decided that Planned Parenthood are not adhering, their funds can be cut. Simple. So stop deflecting.

You're the one deflecting. Planned Parenthood doesn't violated Title X, it exceeds it. And, its funding exceeds Title X funding as well. Title X pays for Title X, abortions are funded separately.

As for Roe vs Wade - also a completely irrelevant point to the one I made, but still:

Roe V Wade gives women choices, period. Roe V Wade cuts both ways, in that it also protects women from forced sterilization and abortions, which were previously allowed. Roe V Wade protected me, when I was 17 and pregnant, from the forced abortion which my parents, my church and the state government tried to bully and coerce me into for 5 months, until my daughter was viable.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

My point was clear - women, en mass as one block, are not being oppressed by a decision to defund PP.

Okay, only poor and disenfranchised women would be oppressed, not women of means, because that's how Title X works. I see how your mind works!

And like I said, any decision by Congress to defund will be the people's choice (including women). That is what a representative govt is all about.

No, it's not a "peoples" choice. That would mean that a majority of people would support the defunding of planned parenthood, and that's not the case. Congress rarely acts in the interest of the people they represent.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You're the one deflecting. Planned Parenthood doesn't violated Title X, it exceeds it. And, its funding exceeds Title X funding as well. Title X pays for Title X, abortions are funded separately.

Roe V Wade gives women choices, period. Roe V Wade cuts both ways, in that it also protects women from forced sterilization and abortions, which were previously allowed. Roe V Wade protected me, when I was 17 and pregnant, from the forced abortion which my parents, my church and the state government tried to bully and coerce me into for 5 months, until my daughter was viable.

If they are meeting the requirements of Title X then I am sure Congress will take that into account. Do you think those that are looking to defund have not thought of it? Perhaps they should seek your advice
Deflection.

Roe vs Wade has absolutely nothing to do with funding. Deflection.

Back to the point. A decision to defund is not an oppression of women. That is a ridiculous left wing argument based on gender politics that has no relation to the actual facts of how women view PP.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
and.......
a choice to say no... to sex, is not an oppression of men....

just say no... just say no... just say no.... just say no!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

If they are meeting the requirements of Title X then I am sure Congress will take that into account. Do you think those that are looking to defund have not thought

You are? Well, I'm not, because Title X funding is the only leverage those mooks have over Planned Parenthood! If Congress votes to remove Title X funding from Planned Parenthood, they will still offer abortions. With Title X funds removed, pregnant women will no longer be able to receive pre-natal care from PP using Medicare or Medicai. Birth control, STDs, pap smears, doctors' referral for breast exams and cancer screening will no longer be available for PP patients, many of whom will have no other place to go for their needs.

Looks, like the defunding of Planned Parenthood, through Title X, will ensure more disease and abortions!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

If they are meeting the requirements of Title X then I am sure Congress will take that into account. Do you think those that are looking to defund have not thought

You are? Well, I'm not, because Title X funding is the only leverage those mooks have over Planned Parenthood! If Congress votes to remove Title X funding from Planned Parenthood, they will still offer abortions. With Title X funds removed, pregnant women will no longer be able to receive pre-natal care from PP using Medicare or Medicai. Birth control, STDs, pap smears, doctors' referral for breast exams and cancer screening will no longer be available for PP patients, many of whom will have no other place to go for their needs.

Looks, like the defunding of Planned Parenthood, through Title X will ensure more disease and abortions!

You have quoted legislation in defence of not removing funding. If legislation is changed or a decision made by Congress that legislation is not being met, then why would you then discard the legislative view and switch to personal opinion??

If PP is defunded it is because it is the will of the people, as represented. If Roe vs Wade is overturned by a conservative Supreme Court, then it will be no more or less valid as a representation of what people want as the original milestone case.

In truth, I am not arguing for or against abortion (I have a balanced position on that which is more or less in line with Roe vs Wade) - I am arguing that any statement lumping all women together into one pot and claiming they are oppressed by a decision to defund PP is nonsense.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
and.......
a choice to say no... to sex, is not an oppression of men....

just say no... just say no... just say no.... just say no!!!

Absolutely.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I have quoted any legislation!

If you're talking about Title X, Congress has not threaten, to my knowledge, repealing Title X, just denying those funds to Planned Parenthood.

If PP is defunded it is because it is the will of the people, as represented.

Nope. The majority of Americans are not in favor of defunding Planned Parenthood.

If Roe vs Wade is overturned by a conservative Supreme Court, then it will be no more or less valid as a representation of what people want as the original milestone case.

It's possible for a ruling for Roe V Wade that could compromise rights by restricting doctors ability to do their job in certain states, but it will never be overturned entirely without a Constitutional Amendment. That's a fact!

I am arguing that any statement lumping all women together into one pot and claiming they are oppressed by a decision to defund PP is nonsense.

Nobody is claiming that defunding Planned Parenthood will oppress all women, but the effort and thought process behind it is an attack on all American women.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join