It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood Just Responded to Paul Ryan's Threat to Defund the Health Organization

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

gee according to you map, west va doesn't even have the one Planned Parenthood Clinic that his charts says is there.
at least I don't see it..
and virginia, if you take out the one in DC seems to have 5, not 7. I know one that went down this past year. not sure about the other one. unless they included the one in DC.

edit on 7-1-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

For sure. That is my point, women need choices to avoid bad situations for all. City women learn that sooner than brainwashed religious women isolated in towns.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What is your point? Planned Parenthood's mission is to provide access to poor and disenfranchised women. Your chart shows locations and statistics of who Planned Parenthood services, inner city and rural communities, low income and disenfranchised. So what? What's your point?

Are you supporting the shuttering of (non abortion) services to these women based on their color, ethnicity and financial class?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: windword

gee according to you map, west va doesn't even have the one Planned Parenthood Clinic that his charts says is there.
at least I don't see it..
and virginia, if you take out the one in DC seems to have 5, not 7. I know one that went down this past year. not sure about the other one. unless they included the one in DC.

If you read the study you will understand why - I know that is a bit much to ask

HINT: for the lazy - the article was written based on a 2012 study of locations using 2010 census data to identify minorities and including all centres as of 2012, that were open in 2010. The table of data, a separate source is location based on 2014 and 2015. Simple when you read and comprehend.
You will also realise, if you bother to read, not a thing changes about my position based on empirical evidence that PP centres are skewed towards urban minority areas, not poor rural areas.
Perhaps you could offer a rebuttal to the facts posted.
edit on 7/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

That map is where Uktruth's link takes you. It says it's compiled from 2010 census data. I have no idea where his "suggested eugenics" chart comes from!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

What is your point? Planned Parenthood's mission is to provide access to poor and disenfranchised women. Your chart shows locations and statistics of who Planned Parenthood services, inner city and rural communities, low income and disenfranchised. So what? What's your point?

Are you supporting the shuttering of (non abortion) services to these women based on their color, ethnicity and financial class?

The only point - which was clear when I made it - www.abovetopsecret.com...
is that PP centres do not primarily serve rural poor women and Trump supporters as was postulated. All the other points you seem to be arguing about are not mine.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I am more prone to go and search for what happened, if anything, to poor west va one planned parenthood...
which I think is still there by the way... at least I haven't found any thing that indicates they closed yet.

why?? do you care to the refute the facts that I presented in that many of the laws states have tried to get through in the past, to defund planned parenthood, depriving them of title x and medicaid, would throw such a wide net that it would also include most of the few ob/gyns that are serving those sections of the poor? since they too also probably do some abortions?? so, what's the choice that is going to be presented to the ob/gyn? either stop taking the medicaid payments and title x or stop doing the abortions?? we can see the quality of healthcare women receive when the doctor's decisions is overruled by a higher powers when it comes to maternity care by looking at the hospital systems that are tied the church... it's not a pretty picture and I imagine that many of those ob/gyns would opt to just dropping their medicaid patients first!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I am more prone to go and search for what happened, if anything, to poor west va one planned parenthood...
which I think is still there by the way... at least I haven't found any thing that indicates they closed yet.

why?? do you care to the refute the facts that I presented in that many of the laws states have tried to get through in the past, to defund planned parenthood, depriving them of title x and medicaid, would throw such a wide net that it would also include most of the few ob/gyns that are serving those sections of the poor? since they too also probably do some abortions?? so, what's the choice that is going to be presented to the ob/gyn? either stop taking the medicaid payments and title x or stop doing the abortions?? we can see the quality of healthcare women receive when the doctor's decisions is overruled by a higher powers when it comes to maternity care by looking at the hospital systems that are tied the church... it's not a pretty picture and I imagine that many of those ob/gyns would opt to just dropping their medicaid patients first!

No I do not care to offer rebuttal to your points because I am not arguing them.

So far my points, which I am willing to defend are:
1) that not all women will be oppressed if PP is defunded. This is an identity politics argument made on this thread that falls over when all women's views are actually taken into account, not just supporters of PP.
2) That the defunding would not primarily affect Trump supporters, women in rural areas, as was postulated.

Beyond that I am not really arguing anything else. I have an opinion that people should not be taxed to pay for abortions, but that is one that is a personal view on the use of tax payer funds and is not something worth arguing as it falls into the realm of opinion only, whereas the two points above are based on empirical evidence.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Well, you still come out the loser in that argument, because it is demonstrably true that rural women, who are disenfranchised by locations, and those who are low income, will suffer more than poor and disenfranchised women in cities, because it's more likely that city women will be able to find a doctor that takes Medicare/Medicaid nearby, than rural women.

edit on 7-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Well, you still come out the loser in that argument, because it is demonstrably true that rural women, who are disenfranchised by locations, and those who are low income, will suffer more than poor and disenfranchised women in cities, because it's more likely that city women will be able to find a doctor that takes Medicare/Medicaid nearby, than rural women.

Lol, super mental gymnastics.
There will be very little change at all for rural women. Simple fact. Proven by data.
Whether rural women are CURRENTLY disenfranchised through lack of services is not the argument. We are talking about the effects of defunding.
But, whatever terminology and change of argument helps you out.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

not all men or women were oppressed by the jim crow laws, and yet, it seems that enough of them were that the effects still reverberate through our society today.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

not all men or women were oppressed by the jim crow laws, and yet, it seems that enough of them were that the effects still reverberate through our society today.

Yes we agree.
That is the beauty of an indirect and representative system. A minority can fight and win. No problem with that. If the voices are loud enough, let them be heard.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
they shouldn't need loud voices...
especially when it comes to healthcare in a time when there is so much of a concern about the dreaded terrorists wanting to kill us... often referred along with the words " biological weapon". if one were to think in a purely logical way, one would surmise that if our legislatures were actually serious about this threat of biological weapons being used on american soil, they would want to open up the healthcare to the point where we were all able to visit the doctors often.. and not be killing any part of what little access some have to it. since the reverberations of not being able to get medical attention early when the symptoms first appear might just be the loss of millions of lives!

edit on 7-1-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

There will be very little change at all for rural women. Simple fact. Proven by data.

What data? You haven't provided anything to prove that. Please show me the replacement plan for these shuttered clinics.

Shuttering Planned Parenthood clinics will, of course, have an adverse effect of poor and disenfranchised women of that community. FACT!

Whether rural women are CURRENTLY disenfranchised through lack of services is not the argument.

We are talking about the effects of defunding.

Yes it is! Rural women are CURRENTLY disenfranchised through lack of services BECAUSE of the shuttering of Planned Parenthood clinics and others like them. Some states have already defunded Planned Parenthood, refusing to allow them to accept Medicaid, now Congress is threatening to defund their Medicare.

But, whatever terminology and change of argument helps you out

Post after post you continue to display your ignorance and "right vs left" false paradigm of issues you don't understand and only have parroted talking points for debate tools.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

they shouldn't need loud voices...
especially when it comes to healthcare in a time when there is so much of a concern about the dreaded terrorists wanting to kill us... often referred along with the words " biological weapon". if one were to think in a purely logical way, one would surmise that if our legislatures were actually serious about this threat of biological weapons being used on american soil, they would want to open up the healthcare to the point where we were all able to visit the doctors often.. and not be killing any part of what little access some have to it. since the reverberations of not being able to get medical attention early when the symptoms first appear might just be the loss of millions of lives!

No, they should. This is the real world. Be very grateful you don't live in a pure democracy.
As for the discussion on PP, it's not a all or nothing healthcare debate.
This is simply a discussion about defunding Planned Parenthood.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

What data? You haven't provided anything to prove that. Please show me the replacement plan for these shuttered clinics.

Shuttering Planned Parenthood clinics will, of course, have an adverse effect of poor and disenfranchised women of that community. FACT!

Whether rural women are CURRENTLY disenfranchised through lack of services is not the argument.

We are talking about the effects of defunding.

Yes it is! Rural women are CURRENTLY disenfranchised through lack of services BECAUSE of the shuttering of Planned Parenthood clinics and others like them. Some states have already defunded Planned Parenthood, refusing to allow them to accept Medicaid, now Congress is threatening to defund their Medicare.

But, whatever terminology and change of argument helps you out

Post after post you continue to display your ignorance and "right vs left" false paradigm of issues you don't understand and only have parroted talking points for debate tools.

The current situation is not my argument - my argument is on the effect of defunding as stated. You insist on changing the debate because you had no logical support for your position on the debate we were actually having.
As for data, I think you will find it is only me who has posted any, including the locations of the 600 or so PP centres.
It's all here on this thread. You have contributed nothing at all.
You can wriggle around all you like, but from here on in I will not be re-engaging with you as you do not have the good sense to gracefully concede the irrefutable points I made. You are therefore not worth the effort.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It kinda is!

House Speaker Paul Ryan announced Thursday that Republicans will move to strip all federal funding for Planned Parenthood as part of the process they are using early this year to dismantle Obamacare.

Planned Parenthood volunteers lined up today at Speaker Ryan’s office to deliver the signatures of 87,000 men and women who stand with Planned Parenthood. Instead of accepting the petition delivery and moving on with his day, Paul Ryan instead dispatched a team of security

We still have a voice!

Who’s afraid of Planned Parenthood? Paul Ryan. He didn’t want to hear from the nearly 90,000 people who signed that petition, let’s make sure he hears from you NOW. Grab your smartphone and call.

House Speaker Paul Ryan
Phone: (202) 225-0600

Hi, my name is ____________ and I live in _____________.

I'm calling to ask Speaker Ryan NOT to hold a vote on any attempt to defund Planned Parenthood.
We see through your blatantly political attempt to do whatever it takes to attack women's health and rights and take health care away from the people who need it most. If Congress cuts funding to Planned Parenthood, millions of people will be left without access to birth control, lifesaving cancer screenings, and other basic care. Many of them will have nowhere else to go for the health care they need.
I'm counting on Speaker Ryan to do the right thing and stand up for the Planned Parenthood patients in our community and across the country who rely on those health centers.
I stand with Planned Parenthood because [insert your own story, if you like].
I expect Speaker Ryan to stop any attacks on Planned Parenthood and the vital health services they provide.
Thank you for your time.

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

You don't seem to have an argument, other than women don't need Planned Parenthood clinics and nothing will change if they close. All based in ignorance and false talking points.

Your chart shows and proves nothing!

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not a good idea to go after PP.

We were able to witness the effect it had in Texas after they pulled funding.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
PP spends too much money on lobbying, politics and super pacs that give gazillions to dems and their party. Why should the federal government fund them just so they can turn around and line the pockets of democrat politicians?

It might be interesting to look at the 501(c)(4) entities PP is affiliated with.

Surely there are other non-partisan organizations we can fund to provide these health services to women rather than making taxpayers support a particular political party they detest. PP sounds to me like a wolf in sheep's clothing. It presents itself as a health service, but it's really a "non-profit" that gets government money (taxpayers) just to turn around and give much of it back to the democrat party.

Surely abortion advocates could set up free abortion clinics or partner with affiliated medical facilities to pay for abortions with donations from private supporters. Donations from Hollywood alone could probably fund hundreds of them. But, typically, liberals prefer that the government (meaning taxpayers) force all citizens to march to their drum beat.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join