It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood Just Responded to Paul Ryan's Threat to Defund the Health Organization

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Speaker Paul Ryan said at a news conference on Thursday that defunding Planned Parenthood is part of the Republicans' agenda to overhaul the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the women's health organization had a lot to say about this plan on Twitter.

In a series of tweets, Planned Parenthood asserted that the organization and the ACA have helped a lot of women obtain health services such as birth control and cancer screenings. It also noted that it's no coincidence that Ryan made these comments after meeting with Vice President-elect Mike Pence, who has been very vocal in his opposition to Planned Parenthood.

SOURCE

And some people were hoping the political talk around here would dissipate after the election. We're just getting started.

Defunding Planned Parenthood...who would have thought this was possible just a couple of months ago. This is isn't even going to be easy to get by many republicans.

The decision to add the controversial Planned Parenthood language, which is opposed by most Democrats, could have a major impact on getting the Affordable Care Act repeal legislation through the Senate because supporters need the backing of at least 50 of their 52 members and two pro-choice senators, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, won't commit to approving the bill with the Planned Parenthood provision in it.

Further complicating matters for Senate GOP leaders is Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, who announced this week he plans to vote against the Obamacare repeal legislation because the underlying budget measure it is attached to doesn't balance and adds to the deficit. If Murkowski, Collins and Paul all voted against the budget bill, it would be enough to torpedo the Obamacare repeal legislation.

SOURCE

I predicted this situation would be greatest political show of our lifetimes, and I sense there will be more twists and turns than we can imagine. Where does it go from here?
edit on 6-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Defunding Planned Parenthood...who would have thought this was possible just a couple of months ago. This is isn't even going to be easy to get by many republicans.

Anyone with a working brain saw this coming if the GOP won. Many GOP voters who call themselves "religious conservatives" want this more than anything. Trump was weakening in their ranks until he got up on the third debate stage and lied about abortion to the nation, but it was a rallying cry for the "religious conservatives".

I predicted this situation would be greatest political show of our lifetimes, and I sense there will be more twists and turns than we can imagine. Where does it go from here?

Hopefully with the GOP getting the message that most of America doesn't want this as was seen when more people showed up to the poles for Clinton.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Anyone with a working brain saw this coming if the GOP won.

In order for that to have happened, the GOP had to control both houses of Congress, and Trump had to win. The probability of that happening was less than 5% according to the markets on Intrade.com just the day before the election. Very few were confident that was going to happen.

Hopefully with the GOP getting the message that most of America doesn't want this as was seen when more people showed up to the poles for Clinton.

Trump's promise to repeal Obamacare is one of the reasons he got elected. Should he fail to keep his promise because his political opponents think he's wrong? Can you point to one time in history where that has happened? I think doing that is betraying your supporters.
edit on 6-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Anyone with a working brain saw this coming if the GOP won. Many GOP voters who call themselves "religious conservatives" want this more than anything. Trump was weakening in their ranks until he got up on the third debate stage and lied about abortion to the nation, but it was a rallying cry for the "religious conservatives".

What are you gonna do about it, make a sign and chant? We run the show now and we do not want to subsidize your life, most especially your abortions. Change is coming. End of.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: NotToday

The government doesn't provide funds for abortions. Besides that's barely a fraction of services provided by PP.

Plus, don't even try to play the pro-life card. You were just saying in another thread that poor people that can't afford healthcare deserve to die.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Trump's promise to repeal Obamacare is one of the reasons he got elected. Should he fail to keep his promise because his political opponents think he's wrong? Can you point to one time in history where that has happened? I think doing that is betraying your supporters.

Repealing "Obamacare", The Affordable Care Act and defunding Planned Parenthood are two different things altogether, and are not mutually exclusive. Planned Parenthood has been around since the 1916. One of its main source of funding is through Title X Family Planning.

edit on 6-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The government doesn't provide funds for abortions. Besides that's barely a fraction of services provided by PP.

Plus, don't even try to play the pro-life card. You were just saying in another thread that poor people that can't afford healthcare deserve to die.

And kids whose parents need free school lunches should have never been born!

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

This is true, and it's crazy that people who feel so strongly about this have no clue about the facts.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Republicans are going to bite off more than they can chew here and it's already starting to show. This repeal the ACA thing is going to blow up in their faces. Watch.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think everyone can relax.

People will still be able to kill babies. Everyone currently has Obamacare, so Planned Parenthood is superfluous anyway.

Planned parenthood doesn't even do actual cancer screening, they just do referals.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I said the same thing right after the election. If they repeal the ACA without any kind of replacement the GOP will lose control in 2018 and there's a good chance Trump will be out in 2020.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

And that's EXACTLY what it looks like they plan on doing.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

How is it superfluous? For many in rural areas it is their best option. Just look at Indiana. VP-elect Pence defunded PP and HIV rates skyrocketed.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The only bad part of the eventual outcome is that it means that at least 1/6 of the population will go without health insurance. And anyone that thinks the insurance companies are going to lower premiums and take a smaller profit just because the ACA has been repealed are idiots.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

How is it superfluous? For many in rural areas it is their best option. Just look at Indiana. VP-elect Pence defunded PP and HIV rates skyrocketed.

Condom purchase should be a personal responsibility.

But I agree, since Planned Parenthood is THE ONLY PLACE where condoms can be purchased.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

And what about the prenatal care they provide to many? Or do you not care if the baby comes out healthy just so long as it comes out?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

And what about the prenatal care they provide to many? Or do you not care if the baby comes out healthy just so long as it comes out?

Is Planned Parenthood the only place that does them?

*laughs*

Hospitals do them, for free. Planned Parenthood does referals.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

For many PP is their best option. Why are you so opposed to providing people with convenient medical care that fits their budget?

Also, if you think hospitals are providing those services for free you're naive. People and bills still need to be paid. The government subsidizes those costs. So it's no different than funding PP.
edit on 1/6/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

For many PP is their best option. Why are you so opposed to providing people with convenient medical care that fits their budget?

If this is such an important issue, why doesn't non-profit take over Planned Parenthood and run on donations? Why do you have to rely on tax dollars?

Start your own Planned Parenthood.

The services provided are already available everywhere.

Even condoms.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
"What are you gonna do about it, make a sign and chant? We run the show now and we do not want to subsidize your life, most especially your abortions. Change is coming. End of."

This poster is the most honest one today. He/she is right, this is the way it is. There is no representation of other ideas. But, what I can do, is exercise my private rights and not associate with the anti christs. I will spend my money on as many foreign goods as possible, online. I will not buy American unless no choice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join