It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Fund Wall by US not Mexico

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: DJW001

Do you mean mining companies or the workers?

Now you're catching on. The mining executives retire with golden parachutes and the blue collar workers get stiffed. Which group is Trump putting in his cabinet?

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

No, workers have nothing to do with supply and demand, they just have to do with profit margin.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I really can't be bothered with 26 pages of this bickering. Has anyone pointed out that Trump talked about paying for it up front and getting reimbursed by Mexico through various means all the way back in October? This is not news, it's not a broken promise. We knew about this before the election.

Also, nobody thinks a wall will stop ALL illegal immigration, but let's be real, not every poor person who wants to come across has the resources to dig tunnels. And has been pointed out, there are ways to combat that as well as ways to build a wall to make it difficult to climb. Regardless it will likely decrease the flow of illegals. If that's all it does, it's already a win.

No, wanting to decrease illegal immigration isn't racist.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hey there is a easy way to fund this wall. charge a tax on each barrel of mexican oil they import and put it in esgrow. its around 750 million a year if you go by the current levels.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

No, workers have nothing to do with supply and demand, they just have to do with profit margin.

Correct, but that will influence demand. If capital insists on maintaining a higher margin despite rising labor costs, demand will fall.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I said up front in my first post "if the demand is there"...for mining as an example, the demand will always be there for high quality diamonds and 24k gold. It may not be there for cheap knockoff LEGO's if they suddenly cost almost as much as actual LEGO's...

That still sees cheap labor as the result, not the cause.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Hey there is a easy way to fund this wall. charge a tax on each barrel of mexican oil they import and put it in esgrow. its around 750 million a year if you go by the current levels.

So... American consumers will fund the wall?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
What exactly is the point of a wall? Just seems so pointless.

To Keep Americans in...Well who else is gonna pick up all those low payed jobs once he kicks out the Mexicans. May as well change your name to Jose Angel Hernandez now.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

So... American consumers will fund the wall?

I guess it flew over your head. i said MEXICAN OIL which I was implying THEIR OIL THEY EXPORT TO US. as in we Charge them a dollar for Each barrel they send this way extra. SO no The MEXICANS will be paying for it themselves that way.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I really can't be bothered with 26 pages of this bickering. Has anyone pointed out that Trump talked about paying for it up front and getting reimbursed by Mexico through various means all the way back in October? This is not news, it's not a broken promise. We knew about this before the election.

Also, nobody thinks a wall will stop ALL illegal immigration, but let's be real, not every poor person who wants to come across has the resources to dig tunnels. And has been pointed out, there are ways to combat that as well as ways to build a wall to make it difficult to climb. Regardless it will likely decrease the flow of illegals. If that's all it does, it's already a win.

No, wanting to decrease illegal immigration isn't racist.

I am still in the dark as to how this reimbursement from Mexico will manifest...Pres. Trump did not specify, and you state 'various means'. This tells me nothing.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Well saving of having to help illegals with hospital bills,food stamps,and housing come to mind. As well as levies on mexican imports and anything coming through the border. That will all lead to reimbursing the american people. besides the money was already allocated in 2010 actually.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Well saving of having to help illegals with hospital bills,food stamps,and housing come to mind. As well as levies on mexican imports and anything coming through the border. That will all lead to reimbursing the american people. besides the money was already allocated in 2010 actually.

Where are the crunched numbers (estimates)?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I outlined it clearly in this thread, and Trump has also outlined it very clearly.

Tax wire transfers to Mexico or charge a fee per transfer until it has been paid for. Those transfers equal 22b a year, the wall will cost 18.5. The other way is the trade deficit, which is 58b right now. It really isn't that hard to figure out. Both those answers come up as the first two links on google "how will trump pay for the wall". There is a press release from October of last year outlining those options.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Thanks, and those estimates look really good on paper, don't they?

www.technologyreview.com...
edit on 12-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

According to the Tax Foundation Undocumented Immigrants nationwide paid under 12b in taxes in 2015.

Source

The 11 million undocumented immigrants currently living in the United States collectively paid $11.64 billion in state and local taxes.

Total taxes paid by Citizens was 3.2T for federal and nearly 1t for state/local. In case you can't do math, that means that legal citizens pay roughly 10k taxes per person and undocumented immigrants pay abuot 900 a person...

Politifact did a good job of breaking down how much they cost here: Source

And low end is 85b and high end is 113b. In case you need help with math again, that means undocumented immigrants net cost to the federal government is between 73b and 101b dollars.

Considering the expenditures for the federal government was 250b dollars over budget for 2015 i think it's clear that there is both poor management at a government level, and widespread fraud on a personal level.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I believe Pres. Trump stated that non-criminal illegals will be allowed to stay, but the bad hombres will be sent back to Mexico, so he won't be using the illegal immigrants' tax dollars to build the wall...is that what you are alluding to?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I see you didn't even look at the numbers they are using? 17m a mile? 50 foot tall? The wall to be built isn't a full 2000 feet either. It would be ~1200 miles with improvements being done to an already existing ~600 miles.

The estimate is 11.5m a mile, which comes to 20.5b if you go a full 2k miles.

Do you fall for misinformation all the time or just some times?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

What are you responding to? My statement about how trump intends to pay for the wall which is well documented or the post replying to you asking someone to crunch the numbers. I proved with sources you should accept that undocumented immigrants are a burden on the economy to the tune of 73b at a minimum.

If it is about taxing wire transfers then yes, he plans on taking a portion of all transfers to Mexico which is perfectly legal (mexico actually charges a fee for the icoming transfers as well). This will result in those who are in the country to either stop the wire transfers or to circumvent the process which removes Mexico's ability to take their cut. This kind of pressure would actually be heavily detrimental to Mexico's economy.
edit on 12-1-2017 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The $30 billion number is for a 1,000 foot wall and that is a low estimate.

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If you read the article I posted, you may begin to see that the existing illegal immigrants' taxes collected far exceed the costs of preventing the 331,000 (2015) attempted border crossings.

Trump might say it would be worth the cost since border crossings are out of control. However, because of several factors, including improvements in the Mexican economy and increases in Border Patrol staffing, fewer people are making the attempt. Officers caught 331,000 people crossing the Mexican border in fiscal 2015, less than one-fifth the number in 2000.

The question here is "Who is doing the bad math?".

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join