It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NM school drops Michelle O lunch rules as program future in doubt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Thanks for bothering to at least check it out.

Kids go thru growth-spurts and what a nutritionist "may think" is adequate in reality isn't. Most menu's are based off of what we know of mature adult nutrition and extrapolated downwards. Very seldom, if EVER does a school employ a Nutritionist that specializes in childhood nutritional needs.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: xuenchen

I find it very hard to believe that schools can't feed a child for $3 a meal. People that rely on food stamps are supposed to live on $4.50 per day!

This school needs a new budget/buying/menu planner!

How much of that $4.50 goes towards paying for canteen staff and equipment maintenance?

Everyone who receives Food Stamps must have a kitchen with a refrigerator a stove and a sink, in order to qualify. Food Stamps won't pay for them.

You can feed a group of kids very well for $3 a head, especially if you're buying in the kind of bulk quantities a school would be using. I can see it becoming an issue if that same budget also has to cover running the size of kitchen needed to prepare and serve a few hundred meals.

But it shouldn't, not in the public school system. School salaries, like janitors, school nurses, security, and kitchen staff, as well as supplies like stoves and tables and benches should be subsidized, the burden not placed on the individual student's families, but included in the tax revenue allotment.

edit on 8-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Everyone who receives Food Stamps must have a kitchen with a refrigerator a stove and a sink, in order to qualify. Food Stamps won't pay for them.

Is that requirement a Federal regulation or does it vary from State to State ?

Many people have never heard of it.

What do they do with homeless people ?

? Links ?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Homeless people, technically, don't qualify for food stamps. You have to have an address, but, that address can be a homeless shelter. Your home, the address they use to send you notices and updates as to your benefits, has to be an address that passes regular county codes, you know, electricity, plumbing, running water, sanitation.

I don't know if they dropped the need for refrigeration and cooking abilities, but I doubt it, especially since a lot of people that get food stamps are elderly and special needs, and live in homes that manage their food storage and preparation for them. Food safety regulation are incorporated into the food stamp laws.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Homeless people, technically, don't qualify for food stamps. You have to have an address, but, that address can be a homeless shelter. Your home, the address they use to send you notices and updates as to your benefits, has to be an address that passes regular county codes, you know, electricity, plumbing, running water, sanitation.

I don't know if they dropped the need for refrigeration and cooking abilities, but I doubt it, especially since a lot of people that get food stamps are elderly and special needs, and live in homes that manage their food storage and preparation for them. Food safety regulation are incorporated into the food stamp laws.

Can you show us at least one State's requirements that have all that ?

California might one.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

To have what? An Address or live in a homeless shelter?

www.masslegalhelp.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

To have what? An Address or live in a homeless shelter?

www.masslegalhelp.org...

That and the requirement for refrigerators etc.

Massachusetts seems to be calling that a "myth".

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Read between the lines. It's a myth that homeless people can't get food stamps if they don't have an address. Solution, they still need an address, but they can use the homeless shelter THAT THEY LIVE AT's address.

You MUST have an address to receive food stamps.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I'm still interested in your original comments about "requirements"....

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Ah, there is the problem, it is a charter school. Got to pinch those pennies to give the CEO a bit more money over bettering student's lives and learning.

to you pyle
edit on 8-1-2017 by Corruptedstructure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I find it very hard to believe that schools can't feed a child for $3 a meal. People that rely on food stamps are supposed to live on $4.50 per day!

No, they are supposed to *supplement* their meals with food stamps. The S in SNAP stands for Supplemental.

This school needs a new budget/buying/menu planner!

Or maybe we are seeing the hidden inflation in groceries finally coming to the forefront.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I don't have a problem with the first lady having a cause. It's fine for the first lady to advocate for literacy, or saying no to recerational drug use, or healthy eating even in our children.

Where I have a problem with it is when they start making it policy. We don't vote for the first lady, so she should be far, far from actual policy. That's where Michelle crossed the line with this. She made her advocacy actual policy enforced on everyone.

Hillary tried to go there too. Her cause was HillaryCare which bombed abysmally in the Congress.

As to this issue, our son's school has an in-house lunch lady who makes everything from scratch and healthy for $4.20. That includes the organic veggies and milk, too. You can purchase an extra portion for $1.00 more. If this can be figured out for $4.20, then it is possible that they really cannot quite cover the full cost of the dietary rules for just $3.00. Not and actually provide quality food.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

There are tons of regulation about food stamps. For instance, you can't share them. You can't even store your food in a cupboard that is shared by someone else, as they might accidently eat your food.

I can't find these rules, their hidden in some case worker guide. But, they're there.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Oh.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Ah yes, nothing distracts us more from reality than having someone tell us we need a nutritious diet. I wonder why our doctors recommend a good diet as well.

Telling people they need a nutritional diet and offering a nutritious diet are completely different. Have you seen the garbage these kids eat? Sure there a few carrots now but the fried fish sticks and unidentified meat patty are far from healthy.

If Michelle actually gave a crap about these kids diet and nutrition she would have gone after the biggest cause of unhealthy eating habits in schools. The soda and candy vending machines. Yet they got a pass because I suspect there is a corn sugar lobbyist courting the Obama's. So much for the kids health right?

My feeling is if you have to look to the first lady for nutritional advice for your kids you probably shouldn't be reproducing.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Everybody is going to drop anything Obama as fast as possible, as nobody wants Obama.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join