It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NM school drops Michelle O lunch rules as program future in doubt

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I don't get why the first lady has a damn thing to do with school lunches in the first place. She wasn't elected by the people, shes just another busy body that think shes knows what's best. Another thing schools should never be allowed to do, is ban parents from giving kids sack lunch to take to school. It's not the damn school right to dictate what parents give their kids to eat.

It's no wonder kids these days are dumber, Schools are focusing on what kids eat, what they say or do online over making sure they get an education.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hahahahaha!!

Their kids can go hungry at school for all I care. If they don't like going hungry at school ... stay at home.

Bleeding ... heart ... liberals.

Trump is gonna Make America Great Again!! And, it's obviously going to 'start' with a few needed reforms in the primary education systems of our fair country. Get ready for it. Fifteen short days to go!!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

Its an odd tradition we have in the United States. We vote for a president but we accept the person we voted for's wife to have her "thing."

Nancy had her Just Say No thing.

I can't recall what Hillary was b-tching about when Bill was president (other than her imaginary Vast Right Wing Conspiracy).

I think W's wife was all about reading or something like that.

Michelle was about devastating kids lunches....

Some people are sick like that. They need to infect anyone and everyone they can and who is more vulnerable than a six or seven year old at his lunch table at school. Also a great way to interject gubment in between parents and their kids.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: xuenchen

I find it very hard to believe that schools can't feed a child for $3 a meal. People that rely on food stamps are supposed to live on $4.50 per day!

This school needs a new budget/buying/menu planner!

$195 dollars for EBT here in California is $6.50 a day. Don't know how much people get paid in other states but that's how it is here.

It's not much but it sure beats nothing to some people.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

originally posted by: Pyle
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Its a voucher lottery charter school. How is that a public school?

It's a public school because despite the lottery (which takes place in many/most areas), there is no "cost" to the family sending their child to the school and it is open to everyone.

But it is not open to everyone. It is only open to the lottery winners.... What the flying # is that #? How is this good for children that don't win the lottery and now have to go to normal public schools now with less funding?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

a reply to: Echo007

Its an odd tradition we have in the United States. We vote for a president but we accept the person we voted for's wife to have her "thing."

Nancy had her Just Say No thing.

I can't recall what Hillary was b-tching about when Bill was president (other than her imaginary Vast Right Wing Conspiracy).

I think W's wife was all about reading or something like that.

Michelle was about devastating kids lunches....

Some people are sick like that. They need to infect anyone and everyone they can and who is more vulnerable than a six or seven year old at his lunch table at school. Also a great way to interject gubment in between parents and their kids.

Hillary's thing was healthcare, remember? Surely no one can have forgotten Hillarycare already...

As for anyone who applauds the Michelle Obama incarnation of school lunch--have you actually SEEN what gets served? It's not pretty.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I find it very hard to believe that schools can't feed a child for $3 a meal. People that rely on food stamps are supposed to live on $4.50 per day!

How much of that $4.50 goes towards paying for canteen staff and equipment maintenance?

You can feed a group of kids very well for $3 a head, especially if you're buying in the kind of bulk quantities a school would be using. I can see it becoming an issue if that same budget also has to cover running the size of kitchen needed to prepare and serve a few hundred meals.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   

But it is not open to everyone. It is only open to the lottery winners.... What the flying # is that #? How is this good for children that don't win the lottery and now have to go to normal public schools now with less funding?

...but that's essentially how most schools work. They have a maximum number of places available. People apply for those places. Some kids get in, some kids don't.

Are those schools not "normal public schools" because they are only open to the people that were accepted?

It's a bit like saying "that car isn't a car... because it has wheels."

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Yet another example why the government needs to stay out of schools,seems what they teach children these days,lacks in common sense and these guidelines on eating,in reality who cares,most older may have subsided on 2 meals a day,different cultures have different ways,plus M Obama has no background in nutrition,she went to law school,like having a car mechanic do a organ replacement

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

As for anyone who applauds the Michelle Obama incarnation of school lunch--have you actually SEEN what gets served? It's not pretty.

I would say that it's a perfect representation of many things in governance and politics.

Take a core concept that is actually perfectly sensible - kids should be given healthy nutritious food? Sure, I'm fully on board with the concept - but then implement it in such a cack-handed, condescending, counter-productive manner that people grow to hate the very idea itself.

The whole thing is a perfect example of why Reagan's words still resonate so strongly today:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Hopefully this school is the first of many.

Now, if we can follow up with getting rid of Common Core we'd really be headed in the right direction.

Get rid of common core? Where do we sign up ??!

Common core truly is the brain rot in the education system:

Not to mention this year the newly signed bill by the obama administration, common core will start inlcuding educating children from 4 years old and up about being trans gender and their choices in it and every other imagined gender around it.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Do people who rely on food stamps have their own catering and delivery of goods service on location?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

How much of that $4.50 goes towards paying for canteen staff and equipment maintenance?

You can feed a group of kids very well for $3 a head, especially if you're buying in the kind of bulk quantities a school would be using. I can see it becoming an issue if that same budget also has to cover running the size of kitchen needed to prepare and serve a few hundred meals.

Far as I can tell NONE of you know about food wholesaling and the crap they pass off as CN rated for schools. On 3 bucks a meal you get TVP (fake meat) and enough GMO laden garbage to kill a horse. Food service food is COMPLETELY different than what y'all are thinking of in terms of meals. It is NOT like what you can get in your local grocery store.

The federal requirements for protein, veggies and fruit are ridiculously low and actually they just reversed the food pyramid (IIRC). One or two ounces of protein per meal for growing active kids is insane. Notice I said ACTIVE. Not all kids are couch potato's.

BTW food service workers are paid minimum wage and work long hot hours.

And Snarl...just because someones parents are epic fails does not mean it's OK to punish the kids. You're all good with forcing little kids to go hungry are ya? That's some heavy Karma right there my friend. Teenagers can and will go scrounge ways to get their "Fast-food on" Littles are just screwed.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
Yet another example why the government needs to stay out of schools,seems what they teach children these days,lacks in common sense and these guidelines on eating,in reality who cares,most older may have subsided on 2 meals a day,different cultures have different ways,plus M Obama has no background in nutrition,she went to law school,like having a car mechanic do a organ replacement

LOL -Michelle Obama didn't sit down and write up a bunch of lunch menus - a panel of nutritionists with the USDA came up with the guidelines. No one is forced to eat the school lunch. Everyone is free to bring their lunch from home with all the crap processed food you want. You do know that the youngest generation is now anticipated to live shorter lives then their parents, based on their current crap diet and lack of exercise. That's the first time that's happened in... forever.

www.fns.usda.gov...

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

I worked in restaurants for decades, and I can tell you its cheaper to buy in bulk and have it delivered than it is to go to grocery store and purchase the same ingredients for a family sized meal.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

Do people who rely on food stamps have their own catering and delivery of goods service on location?

I lived on food stamps when I tore my Achilles tendon and found myself without an income, but still employed, damn Workers' Comp! I lived on $3 per day. I know that a public school cafeteria can feed a child lunch for $3.

edit on 6-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

Far as I can tell NONE of you know about food wholesaling and the crap they pass off as CN rated for schools. On 3 bucks a meal you get TVP (fake meat) and enough GMO laden garbage to kill a horse. Food service food is COMPLETELY different than what y'all are thinking of in terms of meals. It is NOT like what you can get in your local grocery store.

You are correct, I didn't know that, and thank you for clarifying it. It just seemed logical to me that if I can get pound of reasonable quality meat at $x, they would be able to get the same quality significantly cheaper through bulk purchasing.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Its a voucher lottery charter school. How is that a public school?

It's a public school because despite the lottery (which takes place in many/most areas), there is no "cost" to the family sending their child to the school and it is open to everyone.

Thats why so many people are pushing to have more charter schools and expand the program. They outperform the "typical" public schools (almost) across the board. But the Unions resist accountability at every turn so here's where we are.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

People on food stamps are not supposed to live off that, it is supposed to help them not pay for everything.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Sometimes. Sometimes, like people on Welfare, their Food Stamp allotment is supposed to cover all a family's food expenses. That was my case, because I had no income, I got 100% allotment, $156.00 a month, around $3 per day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join