It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NM school drops Michelle O lunch rules as program future in doubt

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Looks like one school is having trouble paying for the famous school lunches.

They claim the $3 per lunch subsidy isn't enough !!

Is this an example of a Federal program putting the load on localities?

NM school drops Michelle O lunch rules as program future in doubt

A small New Mexico charter school is dropping out of the National School Lunch Program because officials contend government subsidies that come with participation aren’t enough to cover expenses.

Monte del Sol Head Learner Robert Jessen told the Santa Fe New Mexican the school recently notified parents it can no longer afford to cover the roughly $40,000 a year cost to provide free- and reduced-price lunches for needy students through the National School Lunch Program.

“We receive $3 from the federal government for each free lunch we serve,” he wrote to parents last month. “However, it costs more to serve that lunch. For the last several years the school has been able to pay the difference, but this year we can not.”

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hopefully this school is the first of many.

Now, if we can follow up with getting rid of Common Core we'd really be headed in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
Now, if we can follow up with getting rid of Common Core we'd really be headed in the right direction.

I'll go you one better: Bundle the teachers who praised Common Core and get rid of it all a the same time.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Someone needs to make the Obama's eat that sht.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The concept was a good idea but the execution failed.
You can't force kids to eat something they don't like.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Ah, there is the problem, it is a charter school. Got to pinch those pennies to give the CEO a bit more money over bettering student's lives and learning.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Break those chains!

Freedom is coming back!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I find it very hard to believe that schools can't feed a child for $3 a meal. People that rely on food stamps are supposed to live on $4.50 per day!

This school needs a new budget/buying/menu planner!

edit on 5-1-2017 by windword because: $4.50 per day

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Ah, there is the problem, it is a charter school. Got to pinch those pennies to give the CEO a bit more money over bettering student's lives and learning.

Oh but that CEO has a college degree in education !!

Selective Ivory Tower Academia.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I find it very hard to believe that schools can't feed a child for $3 a meal. People that rely on food stamps are supposed to live on $3 per day!

This school needs a new budget/buying/menu planner!

Maybe the employees are over paid.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Three bucks for every free lunch sounds like a winner for the school system to me.

It is Santa Fe though. You get jane fonda on one side of town and Yazzi Edison on the other.
edit on 5-1-2017 by ezramullins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

nah, just feed them gmo and monsento and beef imported from china. forget those liberal extremist and their 3 dollar for fruits and real juices law...
'the U.S. Department of Agriculture should imposed *remove* strict regulations on calories, sugar, fat, sodium, whole grains, fruits and vegetables at the behest of first lady Michelle Obama in 2012'

the suffering is almost over folks. it will be back to soda vending machines in no time .

make it great again.
the new admin needs to repeal all of the mistakes in day one.

edit on 5-1-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

nah, just feed them gmo and monsento and beef imported from china. forget those liberal extremist and their 3 dollar for fruits and real juices law...
'the U.S. Department of Agriculture should imposed *remove* strict regulations on calories, sugar, fat, sodium, whole grains, fruits and vegetables at the behest of first lady Michelle Obama in 2012'

the suffering is almost over folks. it will be back to soda vending machines in no time .

make it great again.
the new admin needs to repeal all of the mistakes in day one.

I don't think requiring schools to serve a balanced meal is too much to ask of the legal guardians of our children during school hours. When I was in school they droned into us the Food Pyramid and Balanced Meals, as well as forcing us to keep up with The President's (JFK) National Fitness Standards! Do they even force kids to exercise anymore?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Other people shouldn't have to subsidize a school lunch.

That's the problem. Plain and simple.

Michael just wanted to complicate it and put nutritional requirements 'on the table' and distract from reality.

If you can't pay for your kid's food ... maybe you aren't responsible enough to produce kids.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

What? Charter schools are public schools, not corporations with a CEO.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Its a voucher lottery charter school. How is that a public school?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Michael just wanted to complicate it and put nutritional requirements 'on the table' and distract from reality.

Ah yes, nothing distracts us more from reality than having someone tell us we need a nutritious diet. I wonder why our doctors recommend a good diet as well.

They must be in on the conspiracy!

If you can't pay for your kid's food ... maybe you aren't responsible enough to produce kids.

Ok. So do we just let the kids that have already been "produced" go without?

I can understand why some people would not like to pay for things like school lunches or welfare for other people, but that is a small price to pay to live in a country that does not let people starve or go without basic needs.

School lunch programs can guarantee that the money we spend is going in their bellies, and is not being abused by the recipient. We should support that.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Other people shouldn't have to subsidize a school lunch.

Well, that's your opinion, but school lunches have been subsidized for a very long time now.

Nutritional requirement have always been a standard in public school cafeterias! May I remind you of the time when the Reagan Administration legally ruled ketchup to be a vegetable? en.wikipedia.org...

To little, too late, when we're talking about public school children, who never should have been born according to you, going hungry, while under their legal enforced/mandatory guardianship! It's not their fault, but it's our burden.

edit on 5-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Nobody is saying the kids don't need a nutritious lunch.
But if these kids eat a junk food diet at home they will not eat a healthy lunch at school.
I have seen tray after tray of fresh vegetables dumped in the garbage at my daughters school. They don't eat veggies at home.

I said above that the idea was good but the execution was a failure.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Its a voucher lottery charter school. How is that a public school?

It's a public school because despite the lottery (which takes place in many/most areas), there is no "cost" to the family sending their child to the school and it is open to everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join