It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: ‘We Cannot Deny the Legacy of Racism’ in Justice System

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
President Obama wrote a paper on criminal justice reform. He said Americans should see the racism in the system. He wrote a 56 page paper about his thoughts.

President Obama finished a lengthy essay on criminal justice reform For Havard, and he thinks that Americans should recognize the racism in the system.
Obama says we cannot deny the legacy of racism that drives inequality in how the justice system is experienced by Americans. He also sites that studies the NAACP did that point to the fact that minorities are more likely to get pulled over by police.

President Barack Obama is finishing his term with a lengthy essay on criminal justice reform in the Harvard Law Review, arguing that Americans should recognize systemic racism in the system.

“[W]e cannot deny the legacy of racism that continues to drive inequality in how the justice system is experienced by so many Americans,” Obama wrote in his 56 page essay.

Obama cited studies from the NAACP showing that African-Americans and Hispanics were more likely to be stopped by law enforcement officials and suffer stricter penalties in court.
www.breitbart.com...

The role of race needs to be confronted in shaping policies that lead us here, Obama wrote. HE also defended his decision to free 1,324 prisoners.

If we are to chart honestly the path for criminal justice reform, we must confront the role of race and bias in shaping the policies that led us to this point,” Obama wrote.

Obama defended his decision to free 1,324 prisoners during his presidency, either through pardons or clemency.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I agree with him.

There is disparity within our justice system.

Obama and I would disagree on the solutions for such an issue, however.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I also agree with him. Racism is written into the constitution through the 13th Amendment, that made slavery illegal, but pacified southern slave owners by allowing slavery to continue through the criminal justice system. And that's exactly what we get through the private, for profit prison system, actively "recruiting" young healthy men of color through the public school to prison pipeline!

edit on 5-1-2017 by windword because: added video

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I am not sure if he is saying that hispanics and blacks are being punished too hard and that they are perceived wrongly, or of he says that they are perceived accurately and is punished by the book, and that it is just white folks who gets off to easy.

If he want things to change he HAS to address that. After all, if we do not know what is wrong, we do not know what to fix.

Does he address that or did he chicken out where it matters?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Obama: ‘We Cannot Deny the Legacy of Racism’ in Justice System

We sure can't deny it.

See 30 plus million illegal immigrants running around the country,

Some even campaigning, and getting out the vote for O's party.

UN BLEEPIN DENIALBLE!

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hmm, let me ask.

If the speed limit is set at 55mph and most everyone can manage to drive that, but you then get a bunch of ethnic Germans who are used to driving on the Autobahn who keep forgetting to drive 55 and thus get pulled over a lot more than their relative proportion of the population would seem to indicate, does this mean the speed limit and justice system is racist against Germans or that Germans are simply culturally inclined to have a problem with with speed limits in the US?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don`t care what color you are my advice is the same to everyone, don`t commit crimes and you won`t end up in the legal system.

Most people ,black and white,don`t care whether the legal system is racist or not because most people never have to deal with the legal system,it will never affect them so why should they care?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Stop using logic.
We are discussing racism.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Hmm, let me ask.

If the speed limit is set at 55mph and most everyone can manage to drive that, but you then get a bunch of ethnic Germans who are used to driving on the Autobahn who keep forgetting to drive 55 and thus get pulled over a lot more than their relative proportion of the population would seem to indicate, does this mean the speed limit and justice system is racist against Germans or that Germans are simply culturally inclined to have a problem with with speed limits in the US?

Neither.

It means that you are being invaded. Especially if you are Poland.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

What O is saying is US law has 50 different shades of grey so to speak.

One set of laws for the white folks

One set of laws for the black folks.

One set of laws for the brown folks.

And the list pretty much stops there.

Everyone else plays by the same rules,

Since laws are written in the truest since of equality.

They apply to EVERYONE.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
As long as we talk about racism, we will still be talking about each other as white, black, yellow and red.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The problem is the inherent bias within our system.

To eliminate that, there should be one sentence, one fine for crimes.

If you (i.e.) steal a car. . . .

It should not matter if it is your first crime or your tenth.
It should not matter if you were a straight A student or a drop-out.
It should not matter if you are black or white.

If found guilty. . . one penalty.

Period.

No more of the discretion given to the courts.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It's the War On Drugs caused over-policing. Same reason NAFTA had to get rammed thru, and the border left unchecked so long. Keep that pipeline wide open while also taking the Hammer to the US population over it, but also keeping the street prices down. So then artificial wage disparities across the board. More poverty. Over-spending on too many cops to police them. Keep the dads locked up thus producing more thugs. Keep targeting said thugs with bling bling culture / music to keep them yearning for that which they can only reach via a life of drugs and subsequent crime. Then tell them its their fellow mans fault, that the "Patriarchy" is their fellow man, not the masters behind the entire shell game. Then back them in blaming the cops for doing what they the masters set them about, to ensure the heat stays on the lower level minions and not on the masters (whom Obama represents). Oh, and when someone like me comes along to point it all out make sure we get labeled racists whom represent the "Patriarchy".

edit on 5-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

when it comes to sentencing the courts don`t care what color you are, what they do care about is your criminal record if you are a habitual criminal yes you are going to get a tougher sentence.They care about whether you show remorse for your crime and a willingness to rehabilitate yourself.
if black people are getting tougher sentences it`s because they have previous criminal convictions lack of remorse, unwillingness to be rehabilitated and obviously didn`t learn anything or take advantage of lienient sentences to change their lives.

I don`t believe that there is a systemic problem with racism in the legal system.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

It would be more like Germans with blond hair typically only getting a slap on the wrist for speeding, but Germans with black hair geting 20 years for speeding.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

yeah I agree, but some people would argue that not considering extenuating circumstances isn`t justice,to that I would say the legal system gave up the pretense of dispensing justice a long time ago, it`s not even called a justice system anymore it`s called a legal system.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

The prison system is a mess, profits should not come from incarceration.

Then you have why people are put in prison, any prison. Non violent offenders for a plant?

Then you have addicts who are not helped by the system, they are victims.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

you missed 2

one set of laws for the rich
one set of laws for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Sure didn't miss O living it up on our dime while screaming 'injustice'.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Who should we believe?

A bonafide Harvard professor who published a peer-reviewed study earlier this year debunking the phony "epidemic of racist cop murdering blacks" or an incompetent hack "guest lecturer"and proven liar?

No racial bias in police shootings, study by Harvard professor shows

A study by a Harvard professor released this month found no evidence of racial bias in police shootings even though officers were more likely to interact physically with non-whites than whites.

The paper for the National Bureau of Economic Research, which examined thousands of incidents at 10 large police departments in California, Florida and Texas, concluded that police were no more likely to shoot non-whites than whites after factoring in extenuating circumstances.

“On the most extreme use of force — officer-involved shootings — we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account,” said Harvard economics professor Roland G. Fryer Jr. in the abstract of the July 2016 paper.

www.washingtontimes.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join