The main problem with these subjects is.. Energy and Weaponry..and you guessed.. control.
If it can be used either for one or both.. It will go deep...deep....deeeeeeeep under.
I don't think that is good, but a part of me understands.
Lets say you have a (portable) high energy source ( free/easy/cheap.. doesn't matter)
At that moment problems start:
1. World economy is based on oil
2. The 1% don't like proven cash-cows slaughtered
3. Energy independence would make people with a minor investment independent of the system
4. Any idiot can buy a GPS controlled drone, hook the device up, and send it to anywhere with any payload. Actually, its not that hard to fit a plane
with a GPS and some servo's... or anything else.. as long as you have energy..
5. Long range communication is harder to control
6. Bad people can tweak very bad stuff in a garage
If that isn't bad enough...
7. People would have more free time to create, make love, art ...and... start to think.. Now we are in trouble
But as long we are in this system.. It will never see the light of day, unless they can control it and us !
Although ... there is a slight change the internet could play a role in bottom up.. if the technology is simple enough.
I think thats one of the reasons they don't like a free, uncontrolled internet either.