It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age Limits For Congress

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Hey, you're not supposed to add facts like those to this debate! (I was getting ready to bring up some of their ages myself, but I think you made the point better than I would have.)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
I'm not trying to knock on the elderly here, but the older you get, the less in touch with the ever-changing world you become.

Ahhh, the voice of youth, always willing to share all their experience with those older than themselves! *__-

As youth, you have little Perspective (no fault of your own), as one matures, one's Perspective grows.
Look at it like this;
When you are living on the street, you are right in the middle of all the street level turmoil, robberies, beatings, shopping, all the drama and hysteria...
All that stuff is all you can see, nose to nose!
Now, if you take an elevator up about 5 floors, in that building, and look out the window, you still see much of the drama, but you also see the peace and tranquility of the world on the 5th floor.
You are less needing to involve yourself in every petty squabble ('petty' as seen from this greater Perspective).

Now go up to the 100th floor.
You can barely see the petty crap going on constantly on the street, but you know that it's there, it is always there!
Sometimes you have to walk through it.
But the world, from your higher Perspective, now is a beautiful harmony, rather than a mass of chaos from that tiny Perspective of the 'street', you're now able to see past and future from there, a greater understanding of Reality...
Knowledge = experience!
Children have none!
Life BEGINS at 40!
Before that is all 'entrance ramp' if done right! *__-

Age limits?
No one under 90 can ever run for public office!

edit on 5-1-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
80 should be limit

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The problem with Congress is that the system runs on seniority. The longer you're in the more powerful you become. A 20-30 year congressman is hard to get rid of because they tend to get in positions of power that require the rest of congress to make deals with them in order to get bills passed.

A 30 year congressman can bring home the bacon to their home district in ways a freshman cannot. One reason a McCain gets reelected time and time again.

3 terms for a Rep. 2 terms for a Senator. And a 75 year old mandatory retirement age for all and the Supreme Court too.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech

But that's a problem caused by political parties, not a problem with Congress itself. The parties are the ones with the seniority rules.

And it makes sense from their perspective. If your goal is to rule over a country, why give the most powerful positions to weak noobs that may not even get re-elected? Major legislation can take several terms before it's fully negotiated and passed. So imagine having to constantly replace the top negotiators every 2 years (in the House). Or maybe the top negotiator gets re-elected, but the co-sponsors for the bill get ousted & their replacements aren't sold on the legislation. It'd be a colossal waste of time and money.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Good gawd. What ever happened to the notion of individual merit over physical characteristics?

Some of the smartest and wisest people I have know in my life were 'old'.

Our society doesn't believe in individual merit.

We have set ages when people are "allowed" to do things.

You have to be 16 or older to have sex, or you create a pedophile.

Notwithstanding that individuals mature at different ages, and some people are still immature at 70, we don't acknowledge this in our laws.

You have to be over 21 to drink alcohol. But, you can join the Army at 16 and go over to Iraq and kill.

Individual merit is just academic philosophical fantasy, not the reality of how our society actually operates.

<< 1  2   >>

join